• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

painted calipers

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
i want my calipers painted.
i heard that the spray paint isn't the best way to go. i should actually use a brush paint as it is thicker and lasts longer.

does murray's / auto zone sell this paint.

i really want someone to anser this thread with:

don't worry red, just give me $ and i'll paint your calipers.......:cool:

Painted mine yellow....Got tired of looking at grey rusty calipers haha...

Used one of those "high temp" spraypaint cans.

Clean the calipers up well, or the paint will not hold.

I Went to a hardware store, got one of those wire bristle drill attachment to get that grit and rust off, cleaned em up nicely, and sprayed a couple coats on.

Still holding up well till today......

high temp spray paint should be fine .... clean the calipers well with brake clener and lay a few coats of paint on them. I didn't have high temp T-red paint so I used a high temp clear coat. They looked great for a year, the paint is still there but fading some now after a few years ... time to spray them again thats all.

i want my calipers painted.
i heard that the spray paint isn't the best way to go. i should actually use a brush paint as it is thicker and lasts longer.

does murray's / auto zone sell this paint.

i really want someone to anser this thread with:

don't worry red, just give me $ and i'll paint your calipers.......:cool:

just come by goober, ill do them for you:cool:

just come by goober, ill do them for you:cool:

ok bagged, your list so far:
1. put stazi mesh in frnt grill
2. paint calipers

3. do you tint windows too??

i want to be in on all this to.....so i can learn from.....the best???
other guys hate you................i congratulate you!!

dont do tint.ive got a window i need done too. people hate me:shrug:

Last edited:
thanks guys.
sad to say, i am clueless on brakes.:confused:
pretty good on engines, nothing on brakes.
never figured out why.......

...i heard that the spray paint isn't the best way to go. i should actually use a brush paint as it is thicker and lasts longer...

I blended the two methods. I put spray paint in a cup and used a brush to apply it. Took a long time to cover, but the quality is top notch. They look great. :cool:

not sure if az has it but some places sell a kit for painting your calipers. im planning on doing my in red this summer, can't wait to see what it looks like especially if I end up painting my wheels bronze.

dont do tint.ive got a window i need done too. people hate me:shrug:

people don't "hate" you.
i read the thread where Tricker got mad becuz "us Michigan folks stick together", regarding parting out SVT's:nonono:
my sarcasm button is stuck...sorry.

not sure if az has it but some places sell a kit for painting your calipers. im planning on doing my in red this summer, can't wait to see what it looks like especially if I end up painting my wheels bronze.

wow, bronze with red calipers?:shocked: that would be different!:cool:
i would like to see how that turns out!!

I blended the two methods. I put spray paint in a cup and used a brush to apply it. Took a long time to cover, but the quality is top notch. They look great. :cool:

That's exactly what I did. They've been painted for about 3 years now and look a little faded and chipped. I think I'm going to do them again this summer as I was thinking about changing colors anyway.

That's exactly what I did. They've been painted for about 3 years now and look a little faded and chipped. I think I'm going to do them again this summer as I was thinking about changing colors anyway.

Mine are yellow, so it took like 7 coats to cover. Worth it, though -- they've held up well. In the spring, I typically put the car up in the air and touch them up. Once the weather gets a bit more reliably warmer and I'm relatively sure it won't snow again, I'll take care of it. A buddy of mine has red calipers, so it's usually a team effort -- I'll take one side of the car and he takes the other. Doing two cars that way isn't bad.

I Went to a hardware store, got one of those wire bristle drill attachment to get that grit and rust off, cleaned em up nicely, and sprayed a couple coats on.

Still holding up well till today......

Same here.

I cleaned them up with a wire wheel,and then hit them with a couple of coats of spray primer SPECIFICALLY designed for rusty surfaces.

Then I sprayed a couple of coats of touch-up green over that, and it's GREAT.

I had mine sandblasted then I used the high temp caliper spray paint.

61824380165.jpg

damn that looks nice ^ maybe I need to get mine sandblasted as well. don't worry red I will get some pics up once my craziness is done.

duplicolor makes a brush on kit. its will cover more than 4 calipers. find an auto parts store that caries duplicolor. its in a box. cost for me was $20.

tirerack.com has a brush on kit as well. that kit has a "paint hardener" so the paint turns rock hard or something. Ive never used it.

I think you will find that although the spray is quicker, it's alot messier.

-Andy

I think you will find that although the spray is quicker, it's alot messier.

-Andy

I agree. Overspray is an issue, unless you remove the entire assemblies from the car, and that means bleeding the brakes upon reinstallation -- really a lot more work than should be involved in this project. And while you're trying for even, solid coverage, watch for drips. I can't see myself wanting to wetsand a caliper to get a run out after waiting for it to dry. The hand painted method was not messy, was easy to work with, and was actually enjoyable. :cool:

Back