• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

painted calipers

I agree. Overspray is an issue, unless you remove the entire assemblies from the car, and that means bleeding the brakes upon reinstallation -- really a lot more work than should be involved in this project. And while you're trying for even, solid coverage, watch for drips. I can't see myself wanting to wetsand a caliper to get a run out after waiting for it to dry. The hand painted method was not messy, was easy to work with, and was actually enjoyable. :cool:

what about brush strokes showing. is that an issue?

what about brush strokes showing. is that an issue?

That's where the seven coats comes in, my good man.

Seriously, no. The paint is resilient enough to resist brush strokes. You'll see the slight texture of the caliper itself, but that's normal. :cool:

Just use some aluminum foil to cover the bigger areas, it'll conform to whatever shape you need. For the smaller areas, just use some painter's tape.

That's where the seven coats comes in, my good man.

Seriously, no. The paint is resilient enough to resist brush strokes. You'll see the slight texture of the caliper itself, but that's normal. :cool:

the paint flows out very nicely from the strokes.

i used VHT ceramic caliper paint. it's THICK stuff, make sure its nice and warm when you paint them. i wire brushed the calipers, sprayed them off with air, then brake cleaner'd them, and let them dry. sprayed two coats on them, and they look good today!. i did go with black though.

Painted Calipers

Painted Calipers

I used the G2 system from Eastwood ($30). I cleaned and prepped the calipers on the car - not the easiest way. After 4 years and 2 brake jobs, including the Warmonger upgrade, they look like I did it yesterday. It was worth the cost to just do it once. Mine are red.

I bought a 7 dolor can of caliper paint from advance auto then I brushed off the calipers, (poorly) and just spray painted them without taping anythin of. I alos went ahead and spray painted the dust shield black while I was at it. Any overspray on the rotors scraped of when I braked so now they look great, coming to a grand total of 7 dollars.

Back