• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Disassembling a Pre-98 Center Console

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys.

Just got a pre-98 center console from a junkyard. Anyhow, I'm going to paint it to match, and I want to pull the black inset piece before I do; the one that holds the shift boot surround and cup holder piece. Has anyone ever separated the console before? It looks like it's just held in with tabs, but I'm not sure how to get it out.

Thanks.

Plastic welds. Just insert a small flathead in between the two sections and start snapping it away.

Replace it using epoxy or something similar.

Mine's already starting to seperate at the top, so I'll just encourage it along, then epoxy it back together after I paint. Everyone's been sold out of Krylon Fusion in black for some reason...

try using silicone to reassemble it the epoxy doesn't sitck well. At least that's what I found after trying 4 different epoxy's I tried some clear silicone adhesive and it was the toughest to pull apart. My test consisted of glueing pieces together and after edrying 24hrs I pulled them apart. A couple came easy one was a bit hard the silicone was the hardest.

AF

try using silicone to reassemble it the epoxy doesn't sitck well. At least that's what I found after trying 4 different epoxy's I tried some clear silicone adhesive and it was the toughest to pull apart. My test consisted of glueing pieces together and after edrying 24hrs I pulled them apart. A couple came easy one was a bit hard the silicone was the hardest.

AF

Good advice! I'll look into that.

I got to thinking about it after the fact, but ABS cement may also work if you were glueing the same parts back together. In my case I had to make mine from two different consoles and that left some gaps between surfaces that needed to be filled. Plan for your clamp positions and test fit everything. Mask off the contact areas since you don't need paint on them anyway.

After thoughts,
AF

Soldering iron works well too for some extra reinforcement. Just touch the iron to the ends of the plastic where the two parts meet up.

Rewelding I thought of that too, but in my case using two not previously matched parts things didn't mate properly and some parts had gaps to start with. Then there is always the parts you can't reach with a soldering iron or gun. You know they make those spots just to irritate you...:nonono:

We have enough squeeks with out creating more.... LOL

AF

Back