• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

whats the best motor???

dannimarieiro

CEG'er
i was wondering whats the best 3L motor you can put in a csvt??because im thinking of swapping motors ..and im looking at a 2004 taurus motor because it has 201hp @5500 rpm and 207 ft lbs @ 4500 . it seems good to me what you guys think??

oh and would it be possible to swap a 3.5L taurus motor in a csvt because i think it would be cool to have an all-wheel drive car and it comes with 260 hp and 245 ft lbs seems sweet ??what you guys think of it??

best motor .... depends on the person and the goals. I wouldn't worry about the hp/torque figures as the is dependent on how the engine is set up.

I would suggest a 04/05 as they have larger coolant passages from my understanding.

and search about the 3.5 :nonono:

IMO, even just a stock SVT swap would be better than a ztec. I just wished they made a super charger for the duratec. I would like to do that rather than turbo...yes I know it's a same concept but belt driving would be nice!:eek:

good stuff you dug up there. now am a bit confused. the escape motor i got looks exactly like the 04-05 pictured there, with the same ignition coils n everything. the valve covers mine came with were black tho. i wonder if it makes a diff:shrug:

If you go with a taurus motor before '99 (i believe) you are basically going to only use the short block for the displacement. Then you have to build what is called a hybrid. (search). Reason being for the later year 3.0 is the easy build. It's more swap and drop. Just different people want different things. Currently, I got a '02 Taurus motor and only using the SVT cams.

Ooh and by the way. Make sure you get DOHC not OHV (vulcan). IIRC the DOHC vin number should be "S".

IMO, even just a stock SVT swap would be better than a ztec. I just wished they made a super charger for the duratec. I would like to do that rather than turbo...yes I know it's a same concept but belt driving would be nice!:eek:

There is a supercharger for the Duratec. See 3LDuratec Supercharger.

And the info on that Taurus site encyclopedia could be better - they list all the Duratec motors as non-interference. That's not correct.

If you go with a taurus motor before '99 (i believe) you are basically going to only use the short block for the displacement. Then you have to build what is called a hybrid. (search). Reason being for the later year 3.0 is the easy build. It's more swap and drop.

The advantage of the older 3L Duratec (99 and older) was that they were split port like our 2.5. So you could use the 3L block/heads and use our intake manifolds as a direct bolt on. Those engines don't have a cam driven water pump though so you're pretty much forced to run an electric water pump (spendy).

[flamesuit] 02-05 taurus/sable/escape 3L heads and block w/ svt uim/lim/cams [/flamesuit]

...........tryin not to start a debate

I agree, thow a port match in there to retain the secondaries also ... but 04/05 because of the larger coolant passages in the block

so are we in consensus that an 02-05 (04-05 preferred) with low mileage taurus or escape motor is the optimal 3L to put into an svt?

What if you have no SVT 2.5L to use parts from? what would be the best solution there?

Back