• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

whats the best motor???

so are we in consensus that an 02-05 (04-05 preferred) with low mileage taurus or escape motor is the optimal 3L to put into an svt?

What if you have no SVT 2.5L to use parts from? what would be the best solution there?

ported 3L with the stock cams and timing equipment in the engine is what I would personally do, or you can do a straight 3L ...

second that. hey brian, you're going with a turbo right? why would you still keep the secondaries?

yes I am installing a NPG turbo kit .... the secondaries are there to create more low end torque .... it takes time for a turbo to spool up right? besides reebs ported 3L turbo still had secondaries and it drove like stock until you hit the boost ... and when your in the boost the secondaries will be open anyway ...

plus I don't like how a straight 3L drives ...

yes I am installing a NPG turbo kit .... the secondaries are there to create more low end torque .... it takes time for a turbo to spool up right? besides reebs ported 3L turbo still had secondaries and it drove like stock until you hit the boost ... and when your in the boost the secondaries will be open anyway ...

plus I don't like how a straight 3L drives ...

i see what you're saying. but the secondaries don't open till ~mid 3k rpm anyway. by then the turbo's ready to kick in, right?

so correct me if am off, but doesn't that mean secondaries are useless, as they don't add any extra hp or push?

nope, they are going to give you better down low torque which was there purpose, so below the point the secondaries open and the turbo spools it will drive like normal and not loose the low end like you do when you drop the secondaries ...

nope, they are going to give you better down low torque which was there purpose, so below the point the secondaries open and the turbo spools it will drive like normal and not loose the low end like you do when you drop the secondaries ...

i definitely must've taken slow pills today cos am not exactly getting it:troutslap:. so what you're saying is a turbod tour and a non turboed one will drive the exact same way until the turbo kicks in? the dynographs i saw dont show that. besides, mine drives much better in the lower range after the turbo was installed.

Last edited:
i definitely must've taken slow pills today cos am not exactly getting it:troutslap:. so what you're saying is a turbod tour and a non turboed one will drive the exact same way until the turbo kicks in? the dynographs i saw dont show that. besides, mine drives much better in the lower range after the turbo was installed.

that would be my guess, I could be wrong.

mine is port matched but the secondaries are gutted...no IMRC,butterflies,rods. since i have a prp. we just added timing and fuel and deleted the IMRC. drives like there was never secondaries power from all the way through. i just need a dyno to illistate what i mean.

Back