• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OBX LSD? Torsen Knock-off?

if obx did as good of a job with this diff as they did with the B&M knock off I wouldn't even bother .... just spend the money and buy the known product that works ....

torsen definitely I use it and it works wonders. It also has a hiegher biasing ratio than most other brands.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SVT Focus LSD is fully compatible with our transaxle, right?
I'll elaborate a bit, the SVT Focus has a 6 speed transmission that is completely different from our MTX. The regular Focus however has a similar MTX-75 tranny that we can interchange most parts with.

Cutting corners will make you not be able to drive. Do it right the first time and get a torsen or quaife.

I've seen these too and wondered the same thing

the pictures supplied seem to look the same, but thats no way to determine these things.

terry haines would probably know....

It is backed by a lifetime warranty - I wouldn't worry about running it.. The Torsen doesn't have that and everybody runs it... Screw the haters - companies don't back a product for a lifetime if it is junk.

Screw the haters - companies don't back a product for a lifetime if it is junk.

Of course they do! They know that the number of people who buy the product because of that warranty is much much larger than the number of people who will ever use the warranty. Why do you think car companies can offer a limited lifetime warranty?

uh, but the question here is over the differences between the MTX75 diff unit, and the "Getreg" 6 speed used in the FSVT....

FWI, subie guys have crapped on the OBX diffs for lack of consistancy

uh, but the question here is over the differences between the MTX75 diff unit, and the "Getreg" 6 speed used in the FSVT....

That question was already answered though. The next question was why not trust an item with a lifetime warranty.

Because that transmission doesnt bolt up to our engine. You'd be crazy to do the custom work to make it fit and still use a weak tranny.

if it had only been the bolt pattern for the ring gear, those could be redrilled, much like using cobra rotors on a contour.

First of all who is using cobra brake parts and why in the world would you drill a rotor and use it unless it was just going to sit at a car show?

Thats different though since they're a manufacturer.
no its not. I cant remember if its something they used to do or if its something they do now but the Baer kit came with redrilled cobra rotors, unless you buy the upgraded 2 piece rotors.

Back