• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine noise.

kidSVT

CEG'er

any idea what the noise is??

its a '00 SVT, recently noticed low oil when noise came about, put oil in, but still no difference. no lose in power either.. Thanks in advance!

~Andrew

The bearing has spun and disintegrated. What you're hearing is the steel rod slapping around the crank shaft - makes a ticking noise. I had one that sounded like that and upon inspection it spun 3 bearings. Nothing was rebuildable at that point. It will get worse the more you drive it. Even if your oil light doesn't come on you're still circulating small metal parts of the bearings throughout the motor and it's best not to drive it. You may get decent money for your cams or you could use them for a 3L in the future.

FYI - if you keep driving it the pistons will start to kiss the tops fo the heads and cause even more damage.

Soon it will sound like some "playing cards" on bicycle spokes.

So is this a fixable situation, if i stop driving it now?? I have clevlite bearings in there :(. I've only had her since June '07! AAHH

Need some advice, I'm a lil bit freaking out now. I had a spun rod bearing in my old engine (We got scammed and had a SE engine in a SVT body), and that was a quite obvious knock, but whats happening now is nothing like it was then.

What should I be looking into replacing?? or am i in need of another motor, (please don't tell me that..)

~Andrew

my engine sounded like that, it was barely noticable, each day it would get worse, until eventually it sounded like rocks were clanging around in my engine, i took a turn too sharp or fast with a crap motor and pff pff smoke everywhere and a huge trail of oil behind me, so yes im sorry to be the bearer of bad news but time for a new engine :cry:

... recently noticed low oil when noise came about, put oil in, but still no difference. ......
Unfortunately, the low oil was what started everything. And once it went low, that was it. Not sure how long that engine will last with "gentle" driving.

thats what happened to my first csvt, I made a turn at about 20mph, changed lanes....and DEATH....I parked in a Pep Boys parking lot...and just stared in disbelief.

my svt took its last right hand turn and then it blew, i was driving like a granny, took the turn about 10-15mph, oil light flickered, car shook for a second, and i thought everything was fine but then all the dash lights came on and i saw smoke

Last edited:
Please stop running that motor, it pains me to hear it like that.

I'm sorry to say that motor needs to be opened up to see how bad the damage is. This can get real expensive.

I'd start looking for a 3L swap, hopefully you can salvage the heads, cams, timing chain,etc.

If you really like the car, please don't run it anymore.

That is the most horrible sound in the world. The first time that sound happend was once I got done on Buttonwillow (SoCal Track) with almost 97,000 miles on my 2.5L. The second time was when I got done at Willow Springs (also SoCal Track) with a very fresh 3L.

Tear it apart, build a 3L and make alot of modifications to the "new" oil pan that is supposed to help prevent oil starvation, run 6 quarts (minimum) of oil, get an oil accumulator (and run 8 quarts of oil) and then go track the heck out of the car. Our cars are meant to be driven hard!

thats why i wonder if we all need the accusump for our cars so that if we choose to beat the hell out of it like its meant to(in my opinion) then it will be fine we wont lose oil pressure, and blow our motors, how can you enjoy the car if you have to drive it like a granny? again my opinion but it is an svt not a gvt(grandma's vehicle team) car. that sound does make my ears cringe and like everybody else said don't drive it, you really are only damaging it worse, i guarentee since i drove mine till it blew i have no salvagable parts except for the intake manifolds

Dangggggggggg F'in A. Alright.. she's parked, in the drive way. Could it possibly be a bad lifter.. by any chance??

I guess it may be 3L time. Which is the cheaper 3L route? and am i looking at ~$1500?

Thanks for all the in put.

Back