• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

That 215/45/17 size would fit just fine on your Cougar. That's one of the most popular sizes. The 215 represents the width (in mm I think) and the 45 is a ratio that corresponds to the height of the sidewall...

Awesome Possum! Thanks!

Have you guys ever heard of the 'plies' (is that what they are called?? :confused:) or whatever - the internal layers - coming unglued?? My car was driving a little funny and it seems to have gone away since I put my snow tires on...which leads me to believe I probably did mess up those tires somehow. It would pull randomly..both ways..at all accelerations..and I wouldn't do anything and it would go away on its own??

Awesome Possum! Thanks!

Have you guys ever heard of the 'plies' (is that what they are called?? :confused:) or whatever - the internal layers - coming unglued?? My car was driving a little funny and it seems to have gone away since I put my snow tires on...which leads me to believe I probably did mess up those tires somehow. It would pull randomly..both ways..at all accelerations..and I wouldn't do anything and it would go away on its own??

sounds like those tires are shot to me. go get those kuhmos while they are cheap!

Awesome Possum! Thanks!

I've heard of plies separating, but don't know that I've had it happen to me. I used to notice a lot more random pulling with my summer wheels on my old Probe. That ended up being the ball joints going bad, but you couldn't even tell with the little 14" winter wheels just because they were so much smaller/lighter and didn't put as much stress on everything :laugh:.

On my SVT this year I finally got new tires which solved my random pulling on that. I don't know what the deal was with those old tires (other than old and worn), but they were apparently the reason for the pulling.

So in your case it could definitely be the tires, but it could also be something else completely. You could try to rotate the tires until the pulling goes away... then try to get it down to one or two tires that are bad. Or if they are pretty worn anyways it wouldn't hurt to just jump on a set of new tires and see if that fixes it ;)

ha, you should've seen what i did to my car last night.

I almost rolled mine a few days ago....:crazy:

1230080956.jpg

he drives 297 miles per hour because "he's got blizzaks" lol. or he forgot he was in his car and not the truck and ditched it on purpose? lol kyle

you wouldn't believe how many people do that on my dads driveway. They think it is wider that is, and in they go.

he drives 297 miles per hour because "he's got blizzaks" lol. or he forgot he was in his car and not the truck and ditched it on purpose? lol kyle

Dude - that is totally incorrect, I don't go below 300 when there is snow on the ground :laugh:

Actually I was going down that road at about 10mph, feathering the throttle in 2nd because there was 18+" of snow on the unplowed road and I didn't want to get stuck. I was doing just fine until I came over that hill and saw a van heading up the road - as I went down the hill applying the brakes the trees thinned out and the snow got deeper.... so goddamn deep the snow was coming over the hood and covering the windshield :eek: I pushed in the clutch and it only got worse, I couldn't see jack, there was a van heading my way and I just hit the brakes and held on. I slid into the ditch and damn near rolled, the tires lifted and thankfully came back down.

I crawled out of the car and fell right on my ass - the entire road was a skating rink, just pure ice. I called a tow truck and after a few hrs the guy showed up and slid past me almost into the ditch... not a good start :nonono:
After some attempts from the front and the tow truck basically getting pulled into the ditch we tried from the back and the side at the same time - eventually it came right out.

The car suffered little to no damage at all - not a single dent, not a single tweak... nothing - I consider myself lucky... I used my AAA too - so it didn't cost me a dime :cool:

Here are some pics when I got it home - we had already plowed the driveway area once before...

1230080940.jpg

1230081344b.jpg

1230081344a.jpg

1230081344.jpg

1230081343.jpg

Car drove ~100 miles home without a single vibration or anything.. damn tough little car. Hehe - the tow truck drive heard me fire it up and move off into the middle of the road and all of a sudden he got more interested in the car.. Asked me all sorts of questions and wanted to see under the hood - nice to find cool people once in awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you ever take those off in the summer? :nonono:
Unfortunately no..:nonono::nonono:

Im actually kinda pissed now cause I cant buy the WS-50 anymore. They only make the WS-60 now. But I cant afford to spend 400+ on new ones. Although the WS-60 is the better looking tread and I wished I had bought them last year when I bought the WS-50s.

Unfortunately no..:nonono::nonono:

Im actually kinda pissed now cause I cant buy the WS-50 anymore. They only make the WS-60 now. But I cant afford to spend 400+ on new ones. Although the WS-60 is the better looking tread and I wished I had bought them last year when I bought the WS-50s.

I'm rock'n WS-60's and love them. I plow my car into snow as deep as the hood and it still keeps going :laugh:

I'm rock'n WS-60's and love them. I plow my car into snow as deep as the hood and it still keeps going :laugh:
Excellent... Ill have to save for a while and get some.. lol

Anyone know where I can get some cheap?:laugh::laugh:

Kyle if yours go missing I swear it wasnt me..:laugh::laugh:

Back