• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BAT Mintex brake pads

MrFord

CEG'er
I'm probably not the only one who had that problem, but last year I bought a set of brake pads/discs from BAT, the plain rotors with the Mintex A/F pads.

For some reasons, the front ones didn't fit in the caliper, they were a totally different shape, and did came with a connector that looked like a plug for a brake pad wear monitor of some sort, kinda like on a VW. Anyway, my mechanic installed a pair of OEM pad instead, but they really don't perform well, and I was wondering if BAT would exchange them for a compatible set.

Did anyone had to do that here? Out of curiosity... I tried to call them and they're closed today. And they have no e-mail address that I could see.

thats because ford used two different front calipers on the CSVTs. they changed to a smaller caliper for the 99-00s because it was cheaper. therefore, there are two different styles of pads for the fronts. if you go on BATs website you should see two diagrams of front pads and their descriptions including the year of car each fit.. and as long as the pads arent "used" or anything you should be able to send them back and get the correct set. and they dont have an email address, you can only call them..

that doesn't explain why they came with a connector, which neither svt setup should have.

some cougars had brake wear sensors, and since those cougars also have SVT sized front brakes I think that is where the connector comes from ...

some cougars had brake wear sensors, and since those cougars also have SVT sized front brakes I think that is where the connector comes from ...

well that DOES explain it..sort of? He has a 99 SVT listed, so if he was sent v6 cougar brake pads, they should technically fit since they share the same caliper bracket as a later model SVT, no?

actually i was wrong. they changed the calipers for the 00's. not 99's. and as for fitting the cougar, i have no idea what calipers were used on the cougars.

actually i was wrong. they changed the calipers for the 00's. not 99's. and as for fitting the cougar, i have no idea what calipers were used on the cougars.

from the Brake FAQ stickied at the top:

What are the differences in stock front braking systems?
Calipers types(two types):
-Type A calipers are on all Contiques, Cougars, and late model SVT Contours. The pads for these calipers are thin and long compared to Type B. This caliper has two mounting brackets, one for 260mm rotors and one for 278mm rotors.
-Type B calipers are only on early model SVT Contours. The pads for these calipers are shorter and wider than Type A.
* The date in which SVT Contours switched from Type B to Type A is unclear. Some say early in the '99 MY others say in late 98.5 MY and evidence suggests it wasn't quite clear to Ford either. The best way to find out is by comparing your pads to the pics in the http://www.batinc.net Contour/Cougar catalog.
** Which Type is better has been debated but no hard evidence has settled the dispute. Type A has a greater swept area while Type B physically covers more of the rotor. Type A does have a better pad selection.

Well if I look at the BAT PDF file for Contour parts, I guess then that I got the bigger E0 pads, which I think I ordered. It's quite hard to guess the size of the pad though the rims on the street, even with the printout!

They fitted standard Contour pad on the existing front caliper, so i guess I need to get the latter one. So, for some reason, even the early E0 pads had the sensor :confused:

When i was at BAT last month i picked up a set of pads Mintex and there fine..Ive never had a Problem with BAT..Just there price sometimes..

Back