• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2 rubber hoses behind the MAF marked "ref" and "up"

davesvt98

CEG'er
I had an o2 sensor changed at a garage, and they cleaned my MAF for me. I've had nothing but problems since. They told me I needed a new MAF, and it was $300. I've since replaced the MAF (did it myself) and the problems persist. I have been getting exhast in the car, and very poor performance. I poked around under the hood, and found 2 hoses that weren't connected. One was missing the other not connected. They are right beside each other, and the little silver box they connect to says "up" and "ref" on it. Can anyone help me with the proper names for these? And maybe, which one is connected to which?
I believe this is called the clean air return system, bot i'm not totally sure.
Thanx for the help.

That sounds like the DPFE and it would connect two separate hoses to the egr tube that connects to the rear exhaust manifold.

With those unhooked you will have an exhaust leak under the hood. That would explain the smell. Do you have an exhaust leak sound when the car is running?

Is the silver box attached to the block?

If this is what I think it is, you should be able to follow the egr valve down a metal tube with some heat shielding material on it back behind the motor. You will most likly find two small pipes coming off of this larger EGR tube. That is what should connect via rubber hoses to the silver box (DPFE).

Last edited:
Yes I have a hissing noise when I rev the engine. I believe the box is connected to the block. I think the kid at the garage hooked up the hoses backwards, causing them to blow off. If I was going to go to the dealership to buy theses hoses, what would I ask for?

Yes, it is the DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback EGR) sensor aka EGR backpressure transducer. Ask for the hoses for that which goes to the EGR tube (orifice tube assembly).
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1137129&Forum=trouble&Words=one%20wire%20sender&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1137129&Search=true#Post1137129

Autozonelink. Click Figure 1. Note upstream hose from DPFE goes to the bottom of the tube. The downstream (reference) hose goes below the upstream hose at the bottom of the tube. The exhaust flow is recirculating back to the engine from the bottom.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/1e/0900823d801bca1e/repairInfoPages.htm

Last edited:
yep, the one that was still on was hooked up wrong. Would this explain the lack of power, and the cel code saying maf running lean? Thanx for the help, and the picture.

I am getting maf intermittent, running lean. Or something to that effect. Originally, i was getting a code for an o2 sensor running rich, after I had that changed and the guy mixed up the tubes, they got the maf code, and told me I needed a new one for $300

I wouldn't even go to the dealer for those, seems to me you could get high temp hoses at any parts store???

yeah, i would say that could cause the lean code, unmetered fresh air can get in where that hose is suppose to be and tell the O2 sensor that there is too much oxygen. Now, the MAF code is still a bit confusing.

Do you know what the diameter of the hoses I need are?
I've tried 2 different MAF's , so I don't think the maf is the problem.

Its hard to say how much air/fuel system stuff can be messed up by a significant exhaust leak like that.

I dont know what size off hand but I think its like 1/4" ID or so. You could go to any parts store and ask for 1 ft of like 3 small sizes and find one that works. All for under $5.

If, after all that fuss you still have MAF issues I would start to check the voltage at the MAF and carefully examine all the wires going to and coming from the MAF. I have a stocker lying around as a 3rd swing last ditch effort if it comes to that.

i'll go out tomorrow and grab a bunch of hose. Thanx for the help. I'll post back as to wether or not that fixed the maf issues.

I am getting maf intermittent, running lean. Or something to that effect. Originally, i was getting a code for an o2 sensor running rich, ...
Install the rubber hoses, then clear the codes. If the CEL codes appear again, go to Autozone or Advance, get the codes read and post the exact codes here. Note that those hoses are high temperature hoses. You need the correct size and rating for heat.

Last edited:
Yes, the hose is 1/4" ID. Just go to an Advance, AutoZone, whatever, and get a foot of 1/4" fuel hose for like $1-2. This is what I did when I replaced my DPFE sensor and it has worked fine. Also, you should post the actual number of the codes that you have since the description in the scanner doesn't always match up to what the real problem is. If you post the code number people here will be able to tell you what the most likely problem is. Also, read this, it is relevant to your problem: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=17043&highlight=dpfe

Must have forced the hoses on the DPFE sensor since they are two different sies.

Not on the replacement sensor as far as I know...:shrug: ("Wells" brand IIRC)

It was a while ago so I'm not positive, but I do know that I had no trouble getting the 1/4" hose on both ports and it also stays on fine with no clamps. In fact, just last night I disconnected my EGR tube to begin the header install :blackeye: and the hoses still looked and felt perfect and were still firmly attached to the tube and sensor.

It would make sense that he is getting lean codes with the DPFE sensor removed, it not recycling any of that "unburnt" gas in the exhaust. Which would also explain alot of your exhaust fumes.

Good luck with the repair!

I don't have a clue whats going on with the car anymore. Every hose I put on, blows off again. I even went to ford, and bought the proper hoses, and they blew off as well. The car is seriouslly lacking power, and the cabin is filling with fumes. Anyone have any ideas?

I had an o2 sensor changed at a garage, and they cleaned my MAF for me. I've had nothing but problems since. They told me I needed a new MAF, and it was $300. I've since replaced the MAF (did it myself) and the problems persist. I have been getting exhast in the car, and very poor performance. I poked around under the hood, and found 2 hoses that weren't connected. One was missing the other not connected. They are right beside each other, and the little silver box they connect to says "up" and "ref" on it. Can anyone help me with the proper names for these? And maybe, which one is connected to which?
I believe this is called the clean air return system, bot i'm not totally sure.
Thanx for the help.

Yeah the 2 hoses are definetly for the DPFE sensor located on the firewall. If you have the metal one , I would suggest changing it. They are known to go bad , and I had a trouble code for it .

For you fumes issue , it might be the EGR valve. After you change the DPFE sensor and properly connect the 2 rubber hoses , check to see if the EGR valve is working right. When the car is idling , disconnect the EGR Valve rubber hose , add another one and suck on it . If the car wants to die and once you stop sucking on the hose it returns to normal than the EGR valve is okay.

Good luck

Last edited:
I don't have a clue whats going on with the car anymore. Every hose I put on, blows off again. I even went to ford, and bought the proper hoses, and they blew off as well. The car is seriouslly lacking power, and the cabin is filling with fumes. Anyone have any ideas?
Either Bank 1 precat is plugged or main cat is plugged. Do the plugged exhaust test.

Duratec Maintenance How to.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=762

Back