• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2 rubber hoses behind the MAF marked "ref" and "up"

If the main cat was plugged, wouldn't it glow? ....
Not necessarilly. The main cat will glow if there is too much fuel in the exhaust when it gets to to the main cat, i.e., engine running pegged (well, maybe not pegged) rich and no precats (or hollowed out).

..What is the pre cat worth for a 98 svt?
Don't understand this question. If you are saying how much does the precat cost, why are you asking that? You should be asking how much does the main cat cost (aftermarket, about $100 plus installation).

I know that a cat can be had for around $100. You said it could either be the pre cat or the main cat. I was just wondering how much I could expect to spend if it was the pre cat.

I know that a cat can be had for around $100. You said it could either be the pre cat or the main cat. I was just wondering how much I could expect to spend if it was the pre cat.
Do the plugged exhaust test first.

The precat Bank 1 is around $600 or so. There is an aftermarket for about $400 but I can't seem to find the link anymore. The labor cost is the killer. IIRC, it is about $500 for labor.

Either Bank 1 precat is plugged or main cat is plugged. Do the plugged exhaust test.

Duratec Maintenance How to.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=762

Oh yes. We have a winner.

What's your budget and how much do you like the car?

Cheap? Gut both precats (part of the exhaust manifolds). It can be done on the car (though not by me!) Requires drilling a hole and welding it shut after. Significant risk of ceramic particles entering engine. Many how to's on old board. You will need MIL eliminators. Replace the main cat.

Stazi sells gutted precats.

Got Rocks? Don't buy new precats from Ford! New MSDS headers replace the whole exhaust manifold/precat mess for less than half the money. Replace the main cat with a low restriction cat. BAT and many others sell a nice stainless steel one.

Back