• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L with stock svt tranny

Hooterlure69

CEG'er
ok i know that this has been talked about many times before but i am just wanting to know how far i can go with the stock svt tranny......as in obviously no drops, only feathers.....like it is worth it in the long run if i just hang out and not build my tranny up......cause i am going to want to romp on it every now in that but in a good manner if you know what i mean.....i guess i just want some insight on this that i don't already have.............thanks in advance

The 2.5 has already proven to be more than enough to break the MTX-75 with ease. People have wrecked them from bad wheelhopping on launch, from dumping the clutch between gears, and from merely cruising down the highway. As Rara has pointed out, the damage is likely progressive until one day, BOOM.

On the other hand, some people have never had to replace theirs. If you're ever going to have fun in the car it's a crap shoot. I found out the hard way what happens when you procrastinate: I had the new trans with LSD sitting on the shop floor for months, and I had to break my stock trans to motivate me to do the swap. Problem is the original trans now has a huge hole on the top making it useless.

I know a reworked trans isn't cheap, but you can pay a lot now, or a lot more later.

If you drive the car like is a zetec it might last.

I was one of those people that didnt have their trans break. It had 95k on it when I pulled it in favor of a built unit to go with my 3 liter. Diff wasnt broken, but the teeth were looking pretty gnarly.

I pulled mine at ~92k miles and it wasn't broken, but the spider gears in the diff were spalled pretty good, and it was only a matter of time. This was on a bone stock SVT that only rarely got launched hard.

You guys are doing it wrong then ;)

I sold my stock diff that had 50k on it with plenty of life left. :cool:

The only thing that can't really take the abuse is the differential and they're not that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

The only thing that can't really take the abuse is the differential and they're not that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

How are we doing it wrong? We both had nearly twice the amount of miles you did. I drove mine hard as hell, where as Rara always babied his off the line. :shrug:

I think he means that you guys should have sold your stock diff when it still had some life left and that you guys should have put your LSD in earlier for that very reason?!?! :shrug: I was confused as well but that is my best shot at trying to figure out what he was thinking. :laugh: You guys could have got a whole $50 for your diff if you wouldn't have put that extra 50,000 miles on it. :D

Sold for how much? $25? $50? If you found a sucker to buy yours, fine, but realistically, the value of a used stock MTX-75 diff is extremely low at best. Its far more expensive from a time/effort standpoint to pull the trans. than the diff is worse. No sense in pulling a perfectly good trans on a stock car just to change out a low mileage stock diff (unless other circumstances dictate, like a big power bump.)

Yeah there was someone selling a 3l SVT with stock suspension and stock transmission a few weeks ago down south forget his name though.

ok being a money issue......we all have it......i know the tranny can be taken out with the motor still in correct?....i am pretty car inclined to say if it can be done i can do it but how bad am i going to have to baby this thing until i get it done?

sadly, it is only a matter of time for the stock diff. Don't bang it into the next gear and I wouldn't launch at all if I were you. Stock diffs have still been know to blow even when driving nice though. :(

ok being a money issue......we all have it......i know the tranny can be taken out with the motor still in correct?....i am pretty car inclined to say if it can be done i can do it but how bad am i going to have to baby this thing until i get it done?

It can be removed without the engine, but that doesn't mean it's easy/fun :) That's why so many people do it while they're in there.

i have a stock diff in my 3L. i have a stage3 clutch and a poly roll resistor on the front. i also have 225 series nittos on my car. BAD COMBO! but my diff is still in tact. i would DEFINATELY put a LSD in it before that trans goes back in. if you have to wait, wait! i got anxious and just slapped the trans on and went for it. i should have just waited an extra week and i could have gotten the money for a torsen and shift forks. oh well. live and learn.

did he ever say that the trans is out of his car? I think it is still in it... not that I am going against building it up, but everyone is assuming it is out of his car...

But either way, get a built trans. :)

Back