• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Scary Scound

KyleQ

Hard-core CEG'er
My car has been making a little noise of late and I thought it was a squeaky belt. Well - I popped the hood and listened and was shocked to hear this.

I poked around a little bit and figured most of the sound was coming from the IMRC - so I shut the car off, unplugged it and the noise went away. Hehe - thank god I don't need it being my 3L doesn't have secondaries!

On the 95 there was a HUGE difference when the secondaries kicked in. The SVT not so much. :shrug:

Sounds like somebody needs an intake cleaning.:shrug::laugh:

They work and I did do an intake cleaning when I got the car. :laugh: I had the wife look the other week to make sure the linkage was moving. The car doesn't dog or anything, just isn't as big of a notice of power as the 95.

Screw secondaries - one less worthless piece of plastic :censored::censored::censored::censored: to break or malfunction and severely decrease performance.

Screw secondaries - one less worthless piece of plastic :censored::censored::censored::censored: to break or malfunction and severely decrease performance.
Good point. :shrug:

Im tired of stuff breaking. I am gonna have to get new suspension soon. My right rear strut is makin alot of racket lately.:nonono:

They're metal ;) The only plastic parts are the clips that hold the linkages in :laugh:

And I love my secondaries!

@cnewton
Struts are regular maintenance on a 8 year old car :p How long do you want them to last?

Struts are regular maintenance on a 8 year old car :p How long do you want them to last?
FOREVER!!!!! Bwahahahah!!!

No seriously though. I dont know what to do. I will have to buy some with my tax return, but Im not sure what to get right now. I wanna drop the car but not if im gonna drive it regularly still.:shrug: I dunno what to do.

I don't know if the previous owners ever put a chip in or what. There is the vacume guage and the button below the shift knob...guessing they had a nitrous kit on it at one point. That might explain the smoothness of the secondaries.

holy crap man that doesnt sound good at all.

That sounds more like a very loose rocker in the valve cover there?. Id say take the valve cover off and see if anything has come loose inside. Also, check to see if the spring came loose on the driver side fender? maybe it came loose and is causing your imrc to freak out? Very hard to tell where the sound is coming from in that vid.

holy crap man that doesnt sound good at all.

That sounds more like a very loose rocker in the valve cover there?. Id say take the valve cover off and see if anything has come loose inside. Also, check to see if the spring came loose on the driver side fender? maybe it came loose and is causing your imrc to freak out? Very hard to tell where the sound is coming from in that vid.

Hehe - the cable snapped about 3 months ago and the spring is still there, with the little piece of cable as well. I though it was inside the cover as well - but the thing is, the sounds doesn't change with RPM - so it cannot be internal. As soon as I unplugged it the sound went away and hasn't made any noise since then.

Back