• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NY state police geve me a ticket

Crazy Russian

CEG'er
Hey, I was coming back from my trip to Canada and just like hour away from the border I got a ticket 82 in 65 by state trooper. What should I do, it's like 5 hours away from my town, so I can't show up in court, If I pleat not guilty I'm gona have to go there, also if I pleat guilty will they transfer my points to New Jersey?

Thank you!!!!

All depends on how well the states communicate. Certain states tend not to talk at all. NY and NJ strike me as more likely to be connected. It is possible that you may not get a surcharge for the ticket -- might be worth rolling the dice given the five hour drive.

WTF!?!?!?!?

I'm furious and I didn't even get the ticket. :mad:

Me and Elky got the same ticket last year in NY coming back. Both of us were cruising at 65 with my cruise control locked, and my GPS showed 64-65. They claimed we were both clocked at 85 in a 65 zone.

NY will target any out of state car they can because they know it's extremely hard to fight it.

i know elky's situation, and it sucks...but if he was indeed speeding then he is in the wrong.

as far as transferring points, i know jersey points don't transfer to NY, but i dunno about ny to nj.

The points shouldn't transfer, but if you don't pay, they'll put a warrant out for your arrest and if you're in that state again and get pulled over...you're busted...

If its any help. I know that CT and MA don't "talk" about tickets. So I have reason to believe that If NJ doesn't transfer points to NY then I think its reasonable to believe that the opposite is also true.

If you want my opinion. If you plead not guilty and then you have to appear in court you have 10 hours worth of driving to do. Plus its fair to say that the trip is going to cost you around $100 worth of fuel. Not to mention the fact that your court date will certainly be on a week day so that will mean a day off of work too.

I would be looking to find out if NY and NJ recriprocate on the matter of tickets for speeding. If not I'd say guilty and pay the ticket becasue to me $100 worth of fuel and a day of my time is worth more to me. Not to mention that just because you plead not guilty and possibly end up driving 10 hours round trip for a court appearance doesn't guarantee you'll get off.

food for thought.

You can always look into a ticket lawyer as well.
Who might be able to fight the ticket for you in the county you got the ticket in.
You will have to pay them a fee of course, usually around or lesser that of the ticket, but they will go to court for you, and more than likely no points.

The lawyer I use for speeding tickets even has a money back guarantee - if they cannot fight the ticket and keep points off my license I get my money back from them. (and just pay the ticket - which hasn't happened yet)

I'm guessing you got pulled over near Plattsburgh... there is usually a good deal of cops around that area. As far as I know, NY tells NJ about tickets, but not points. Still, the ticket cost is going to get you... probably somewhere around $200 plus some court surcharges. If you show up in court, they will probably reduce it to a non-points violation, and you'll just pay a fine. I don't think it quite requires a lawyer, because it isn't too bad of a ticket. With the price of gas in NY state, you might just want to pay the damn ticket.

then get ready to pay some additional $300 fee because you got the ticket .... happened to a friend of mine at work, got a ticket in NY and there was a surplus fine that was near $300 for 3years so it was like $100 fine a year ...

Oh goody, something I am an expert on! :(

From NJ MVC:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Violations/penalties_otherStates.htm

The Driver License Compact
  • Consists of 45 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin
  • Members in this compact exchange all violation information. Out-of-state moving violations are worth two points. For example, if you receive a speeding ticket in Florida, you will get two points on your New Jersey driving record for that violation
So, you will get 2 points per violation. They will take some time to get to your NJ license, but rest assured, they will arrive.

Some courts, well at least RI and NJ, will drop the ticket if you show an abstract of your license, usually 5 years. That's how I got out of the 80 in a 55 on 95 in RI.

yup, got the same thing last year...
i appealed it, you can do that by mail twice.
I sent in a letter explaining the situation along with a copy of my driving record.
they dropped the fine a little the first time and reduced it to a 1 point violation.
then they reduced it down to $50, non-moving violation, and i had to take a 4 hour defensive driving course.
i even spoke to the DA multiple times to try and get it reduced more, she did everything she could. but told me staight out that the state is just looking for my money.
it cant hurt to appeal it and you can do that without having to go there.

yeh I send the paper today pleating guilty, two point is not gona effect my insurance so, I will slow down now, thanks a lot guys, yeh it was in Chesterfille, Essex county.

2 points *will* affect your insurance in the Garden State. Your rates should go up a smidge and the next ticket you get (a total of 4 points) will incur the wrath of the state for 3 years. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
yeah best bet is to plead guilty cause they just passed a new law at the begining of the year not allowing the troops to plea bargin about tickets in court... sorry bud... Its sucks I live in NY and they are always up my rear bumper either when i have my svt out or my 94 dodge stealth rt twin turbo... they love to smell my exhuast i guess... but one things for sure you have to love their first question is this car yours? NO i stole it.

Here is a little trick my uncle from NJ taught me...

If you get a ticket out of state on the ticket it will say how much the fine is...let's just say $200. Plead guilty and send in a check/money order for $205. Because you over paid they have to issue a check to you for the amount you over paid. When you get the check in the mail, destroy it. The case will not be closed until you cash the check and you will not get points until the case is closed. After one year it is thrown out.

You paid the fine, avoided trouble and did not get points, for $5 extra.

My uncle is a trucker and he has used this many times in NY and the surrounding states and never got points. Hope this helps.

Yeah -- I've heard of that too. A way to fool the bureaucracy. I can't attest to its validity, but it's simple and cheap enough to be worth a try.

Back