• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Seat Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, it's been mentioned, but they're phone ordering system sucks horribly. You call, get on hold and are "first in line", and it transfers you to voicemail. It's happened 4 times to me now. This is why I would so much rather do online ordering, but they won't let you for this GB... :rolleyes:

yeah, I think I called 10 times in a row (call, hang up, call, hang up, etc. etc.) the day I ordered. Kept getting the same "first in line" message then voice mail. But once you get them on the phone the guy seemed very nice and helpful.

Ordered a set. got them on the first try.

And ya they are the H3s. and they will work with cloth.
I'm putting one in the Countour and the other in the 05 Explorer Sport Trac.

Thanks

Where are people installing the button to turn it on? I didn't order the 20mm drill bit. I was thinking of putting it in the plastic on the side of the seat, but I'm not sure how to drill the hole.

Where are people installing the button to turn it on? I didn't order the 20mm drill bit. I was thinking of putting it in the plastic on the side of the seat, but I'm not sure how to drill the hole.
i hadnt thought about putting it there but that does sound like a good place. as for the hole ill probably just use an 11/16th drill bit and then hone it out till the switch fits. :shrug:

Also, just an observation in looking at my driver's seat: the whole front of the cushion just picks up from the metal of the seat. I can slip the leather off the front without even removing the seat. The back probably won't be that simple, but maybe I could slip the sucker in there without removing the whole seat!

Also, just an observation in looking at my driver's seat: the whole front of the cushion just picks up from the metal of the seat. I can slip the leather off the front without even removing the seat. The back probably won't be that simple, but maybe I could slip the sucker in there without removing the whole seat!

Perhaps that would work, but what about the channels in the seat? Wouldn't the end result end up looking funny? :shrug:

I will hopefully be doing my passenger seat this weekend. I'll be doing it after hours at work and have to be able to drive home at the end of the day regardless of progress (hence the passenger side and not the drivers). :laugh:

Again, I'll try to take pics during the install and post them.

Chris

Last edited:
I'm telling you(I think), you just have to unclip the back cover from itself right where it meets the the bottom and you'll be able to slide the back heater element right up there.

I thought about putting it in the plastic on the seat as well but I honestly haven't even been inside my car to look for a place just yet. I figured I may buy that bit or I may cut it smaller and then open it with my dremmel. I figured I would wait until I look and see where I want to put the switch, then decide if the bit will be worth it.

In the install instructions, it talks about cutting holes, putting tape over it and then cutting another smaller hole :confused: What is that all about? I have only briefly looked over the instructions and that was one of the things I wasn't too sure about.

Looking forward to seeing someone post some pictures.

I thought about putting it in the plastic on the seat as well but I honestly haven't even been inside my car to look for a place just yet. I figured I may buy that bit or I may cut it smaller and then open it with my dremmel. I figured I would wait until I look and see where I want to put the switch, then decide if the bit will be worth it.

In the install instructions, it talks about cutting holes, putting tape over it and then cutting another smaller hole :confused: What is that all about? I have only briefly looked over the instructions and that was one of the things I wasn't too sure about.

I think I am going to copy my brother:
Dsc00092.jpg

I kinda like that. I was going to look for somewhere like that because the only downside I thought of with putting them on the seats is you won't be able to visually see the setting the seat is on. I think I want to be able to see the switch so I can easily see what setting it is on rather than having to remember which position is which setting.

I was also thinking about maybe somewhere in the center console more between the seats but I don't think there will be enough room for the wires and that.

remember, this is my first Contour and I've only driven the car 300 miles since I bought it so I'm not completely familiar with the interior just yet. Once I finish up with the motor I will then get in the car and start looking for locations and get the seats out and start working on them.

yeah, I may go higher where the SVT plaque is.
i was orignially thinking next to the ebrake. as for on the seat panel, im not concerned about being able to see the light because eventually ill just learn which position is what and it wont matter.

IIRC, these heaters have high, low, and off. So up would be high, down would be low, and middle would be off. I think I'll just put it on the side of the seat, run the wires under the plastic trim until the summer time when I can run them under the carpet.

I think the whole point of the hole in a hole is this...

The first hole is put in the heating element itself. If I read correctly, you are then supposed to cover those holes with the tape. You then cut smaller holes in the tape. The idea being the element is now protected by the tape and therefore shouldn't contact anything directly. You then need to cut a hole in the tape to secure the new zip tie (hog ring) replacement to the seat. This will keep the channel in the seat aesthetically intact.

A hole inside of a hole... Get it? :)

Chris

Last edited:
well, yeah, I got that you are cutting a hole inside a hole but where are you attaching it to with the zip ties? And why do you attach it with zip ties if it is getting stuck down with sticky surface on the back of the heater?

Like I said earlier, it'll probably make more sense once I have the seats out and have everything in front of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back