• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

California Thread is dead.

Hells yea!!! Thanks for the heads up... might have to put it on hold for a little bit cause I have to serve some court paperwork to my child's mother... should be fun and costly...

I went to the U-pick in sun valley on monday 2/18 and there were a bunch of pre-98 cars...in fact they were all pre-98's (about 15 of 'em) and no 98-00. Most still had straight body panels and interiors. All were zetecs except for one duratec car and out of those 3 were MTX cars.

About 5 mystiques too.

U-Pick-Parts
11409 Penrose St
Sun Valley, CA 91352

they're generally cheaper than Pick-A-Part up the road

Went today. They had a lot of pre98's still, but man, they were in sorry shape. Senselessly torn up panels, dirty as hell, etc... They were all picked over pretty good. On the upside, I got a pre98 center console with everything I need to swap it in, including the HVAC surround, "under tray" and front side pieces (but not a manual ring/boot) for about $35. I'll just have to clean them up and paint them. Took almost 2 hours to pull, trying not to break anything, lol.

Well guys I think tomorrow might be the last day of my contour. I'm upgrading to a RSX or a Celica. All I wanted to say is thank you all very much.

Well I'm parting out the head unit harness, post 98+ update cup holder, and the silver frost post 98 trunk+spoiler. Shoot me an offer.

edit: forget to mentioned, post 98+ Shift boot

Last edited:
Went today. They had a lot of pre98's still, but man, they were in sorry shape. Senselessly torn up panels, dirty as hell, etc... They were all picked over pretty good. On the upside, I got a pre98 center console with everything I need to swap it in, including the HVAC surround, "under tray" and front side pieces (but not a manual ring/boot) for about $35. I'll just have to clean them up and paint them. Took almost 2 hours to pull, trying not to break anything, lol.

Good job man, the cars were raped when I saw them 2 weeks ago, but I managed to get some good parts like a clean pair of sun visors and other dash trim. I was curious as to why 2 of the contours had their back windows smashed in...:shrug:

There were alot of good map lights that I passed up along with some clean rear lenses. Also some of the cars had the original alloys on them in decent condition. I'll prob be back out there when the fresh ones are put out.

The ONLY other tempting thing I saw was a 98+ upgraded cupholder... but it was filthy, and my hands were full, so it stayed.

Generally, the cars at the Pick-A-Part seem to be in better shape, though there are fewer of them. Less senseless damage to panels and glass, far less dirty (seriously... it looked like ever Contour had been off-roading), etc, but the U-Pick prices are definately cheaper, so I guess you just have to pick your poison. I did see a SVT at the Pick-A-Part once, still in pretty good shape.

SVT in Yard

SVT in Yard

Does anyone in California have experience with the FSVT Front Brake Upgrade? I started working on mine yesterday and it seems over easy - just curious if there are any hidden things to be on the lookout for?

Last edited:
I don't remember there being anything inordinately tricky... other than fitting that damn clip into the front of the caliper. I hate that thing.

Do you have the FSVT Calipers also or just the 300mm rotors? I plan on a full swap, FSVT Calipers and 300mm rotors for the front stock CSVT calipers and 278mm rotors for the rear.

Should have asked this before all this pickapart action, but does anyone know how much the trunklid would cost from one of these joints?

Pick-A-Part sells them for about $50. HOWEVER, they run half-off sales every once and a while, and one is coming up (check their website). I bought my SilFro trunk during their last one (in decent shape) for $25.

Do you have the FSVT Calipers also or just the 300mm rotors? I plan on a full swap, FSVT Calipers and 300mm rotors for the front stock CSVT calipers and 278mm rotors for the rear.

I have a full front swap. Truthfully, I didn't want to bother with the rears... most of the load (like, 75%) is on your front brakes, and I wasn't about to grind up my rear brackets for the minimal upgrade.

The rear upgrade is worth it. You are right that it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in straight line braking, but the car feels MUCH more stable with the big rear brakes. you end up with something that is closer to factory front to rear bias.

Pick up a set of rear brackets at a wrecking yard and then take them to a machine shop and have them mill out about .065" from each inner face so you don't have to do any grinding. You still need to remove a little from the inner hat or from the outer part of the hub flange (the hub flange is my preference).

If you ever decide to do the upgraded rears, I'll help you with it.

The rear upgrade is worth it. You are right that it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in straight line braking, but the car feels MUCH more stable with the big rear brakes. you end up with something that is closer to factory front to rear bias.

Pick up a set of rear brackets at a wrecking yard and then take them to a machine shop and have them mill out about .065" from each inner face so you don't have to do any grinding. You still need to remove a little from the inner hat or from the outer part of the hub flange (the hub flange is my preference).

If you ever decide to do the upgraded rears, I'll help you with it.

Thank you sir, great advice. The upgrade is happening (and soon), I have experienced a lot of brake fade on the track (especially Cal Speedway and Willow Springs) so I am hopefull that a full upgrade (what is mentioned above plus ss brake lines and a more specific racing level brake fluid) does the trick. I have the good fortune of being related to an industrious engineer who has access to great milling tools at his job - so I rely heavily on him for my fabrication work. I will direct him your way if an issue presents itself.

ressurecting the thread again.
anyone see the ebay deal for the CF hood and trunk? its only $575 for both pieces if you pick them up in otay mesa.

Didn't someones car with CF hood and trunk get stolen a while back? First thing that came to mind when you said otay mesa. So much dodgy stuff going on with all those junkyards down there.

lol i know what you mean but i just talked to the guy and he told me that the hood and trunk are made once someone places an order with them. some other guy on the forum bought this set a couple of days ago so it cant be stolen... well maybe the molds came from the stolen one! jk.
i just ordered the set cuz my tax refund came and they are going to make the vents functional for no additional cost.

Back