• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

California Thread is dead.

Hey guys is it legal to have custom fog lights and have them on at night with your normal driving lights?
From what I understand, you can only have 2 pairs of forward facing lights, thats why the fog lights turn off when the highbeams are switched on.

Oh. So I shouldn't worry at all about using the fog lights. I'm asking now because I'm planning to get them. Awhile ago I asked an officer and I guess he doesn't know anything and told me that is illegal to have them unless is raining or is foggy. So I guess he was wrong.

Well I'd be careful then, maybe try and look it up in the vehicle code or something. I have a friend in Australia who got a ticket for having them on when it wasn't necessary. Maybe it depends what state you are in here. Could be that I got my info from someone from out of state. As much as I dislike the cops, they tend to know all the little tidbits so they can get you for something.

As you all know, there's that foglight mod which allows the use of the foglights without any other lights on. If you install brighter bulbs in there and use them as if they were headlights, you'll get zapped by the police for having headlights that are physically too low to the ground. Headlights have to be within a certain height range, like between 2 and 4 feet. I don't know how guys with lifted trucks get away with it.
Karl

Foglamps​
24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not
more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not
be used in substitution of, headlamps.
(b) On a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, the
foglamps authorized under this section shall be mounted on
the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than
30 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded
none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the
center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches
below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes,
for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle.
(c) On a motorcycle, the foglamps authorized under this
section shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less
than 12 inches nor more than 40 inches and aimed so that
when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity
portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle
projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of
the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of
25 feet in front of the vehicle.​
Amended Sec. 20, Ch. 451, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

So everyone know california is very strict with smog. Not much to do to the engine. For us who have a Zetec Engine, there is no intake that made for it beside the one from Focus. So does anyone if I buy a C.A.R.B. intake from a Focus and put it on a contour. Can I still get in trouble if the police finds out? I'm asking this because awhile ago I got a ticket for tinted tail lights, then they wanted to checked under the hood, then they found my intake and I guess they gave me another ticket (iono if it illegal to have open element filter or mine doesn't CARB sticker on it) but I'm not sure what was the reason. They just asked "why do you have the intake on" and I said "because I just want to save gas" then the cop said "you sure you didn't put it on because you want your car to be faster?" then I just told him my reason had nothing to make the car go faster.

I know many here in So Cal would like to hang out and share, but since there is few of us, I have joined up with a local group called Extreme Fords (www.xtremefords.com). We meet every Saturday night in Rialto, CA or in Fontana with about another 100 plus ppl and their ricers. I took some shots lastnight:
cobrainsidevh6.jpg

extremefordmeet11208rg5.jpg

extremefordstangsaz9.jpg

tourwithstangszf9.jpg

sliverstangv6im1.jpg

Last edited:
I know many here in So Cal would like to hang out and share, but since there is few of us, I have joined up with a local group called Extreme Fords (www.xtremefords.com). We meet every Saturday night in Rialto, CA or in Fontana with about another 100 plus ppl and their ricers.
Link went nowhere. Something about how Netfirm can help you create your own website or some such. :shrug:
Karl

hi there

hi there

hey was guys new to the contour scene, live up in the bay area.use to be from southern cali. i use to be from xtreme fords, tell freddy i say hi. i was one of the og memeber from the crew. does gustavo show up to the meets?

No wind here but then I have hills all around me. Santa Anas generally funnel through the Anaheim Hills and into Orange County or through some of the northern passes in the San Gabriel mountain foothills or they just stay out in the Riverside or San Bernardino counties. I just notice that I can see the mountains more clearly.
Karl

Back