• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whoa, deer!

Yeah sometimes I think they should change the name to New Europe.
A lot of our town names are based off towns/surnames from Europe.
We just like to mispronounce them.
Berlin and Milan, NH are good examples of that. ;)

Yeah sometimes I think they should change the name to New Europe.
A lot of our town names are based off towns/surnames from Europe.
We just like to mispronounce them.
Berlin and Milan, NH are good examples of that. ;)

Probably half of New England is named after towns in the old country. The other half are Indian(Native American) names.

Connecticut= The long tidal River

I concur, where did you pull that fact out of Roger? Wiki? Or are you just THAT proud of your state :D

Mass > Conn?

BIOYA.... I never even implied that CT was better than anything. I was just stating what I had learned in grade school. I had to google it to find it now.

THE NAME:
Connecticut was an established name early in the 1600's in particular reference to the Connecticut River. The word itself was translated from the Indian name "Quinnehtukqut" and means "beside the long tidal river."

Source: Shearer, Benjamin F. and Barbara S. State Names, Seals, Flags and Symbols Greenwood Press, Westport, Connecticut - 2001

From this website http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/ct_intro.htm

And I wasn't even entirely correct.

Woo I helped start a fight!
Go me...
Go me...
:D

That's pretty cool you know that, Rog. I wonder what Massachusetts means...

EDIT: From Wiki: "at the great hill," "by the many small hills" "at the little big hill," or "at the range of hills," are possible definitions. :shrug:

Last edited:
CT is scenic, but the no-income-tax and low cost of living have me satisfied in NH.

It's my understanding that property tax in NH is outrageous, though. It almost negates the low cost of living.
Meh. My rent is $500/month cheaper than it was in Boston. My apartment is smaller, but it has brand new circuit breaker, all new wiring, bathroom, kitchen, walls, floors/carpeting, windows, doors, a better layout and two parking spaces (along with a competent landlord). :shrug:

I suppose if you're purchasing, the property tax is much higher, but even then, the difference in initial cost of the house itself between the two states negates the tax completely for at least the first few years.

Meh. My rent is $500/month cheaper than it was in Boston. My apartment is smaller, but it has brand new circuit breaker, all new wiring, bathroom, kitchen, walls, floors/carpeting, windows, doors, a better layout and two parking spaces (along with a competent landlord). :shrug:

I suppose if you're purchasing, the property tax is much higher, but even then, the difference in initial cost of the house itself between the two states negates the tax completely for at least the first few years.

If we ever move out of our little shoebox, maybe we'll look at NH.

yesh.
Lowell fuggers!!

i wanted to do part time with loomis fargo but they pay less than Mcdonalds!

Back