• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Found an easy fix for the moose

cobrarthunder

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I am in the process of trying to sell my 99' SVT. The moose was scaring people away...even though I assured them it was nothing more than an annoying sound mostly when it was cold out. So, I remembered I had an 4.6L engine pulled from a car due to being blown. I took the silencer off the IAC from that motor.

I removed the stock hose from the Intake to the IAC. and used 3/8 hose to splice the "muffler" in place. You can find these "mufflers" on almost all 4.6L 96-03 mustangs/96-97 thunderbirds cougars/f-series and several other models.

in this picture you can see the black rectangular box directly behind the alt....that is designed to muffle the noise. ignore the red circles I just used this picture as a ref. Chris

3-Loosenallconnections.jpg

He said easy, not cheap. For some people, drilling multiple caps and finding the right one that works all the time may not be as fun as just putting a resonator in.

He said easy, not cheap. For some people, drilling multiple caps and finding the right one that works all the time may not be as fun as just putting a resonator in.

your right, I didn't read the post right. But I dunno, the copper cap is pretty easy if you ask me, but an alternative is good also ...

the basic idea behind removing the moose to to change the natural frequency of the tube I believe so that it doesn't resonate so easily. I remember way back someone who made the IAC hose really long, it looped from the intake around the drivers strut tower to the IAc valve

If you don't know what it is, you don't have it... :D

Trust me, you know when your car has the "moose", as do all the other people anywhere near your car...

I'm pretty sure that I have it. Is it like a loud moaning noise at times? Basically a resonating sound caused by the air moving into the TB.

I'm pretty sure that I have it. Is it like a loud moaning noise at times? Basically a resonating sound caused by the air moving into the TB.

It is a resonance caused by air moving through the Idle Air Control valve. It only happens when the throttle body is CLOSED.

It sounds almost exactly like someone blowing across the top of a beer bottle.

I think this is a better fix than the copper cap... i know people that did the copper cap fix and got a CEL because of it.

It's probably much cheaper than the bagpipe or IAC valve (and 45 degree hose) fix too. And the bagpipe fix still gives a slight sounding moose when it is cold (below 35 degree F).

I think this is a better fix than the copper cap... i know people that did the copper cap fix and got a CEL because of it.

I too, suspect that there were other problems with the car to begin with - like a vac leak. When a slight restriction is placed on the IAC, the un-metered leak is exacerbated and a code is thrown.

Other than the copper cap, I expect an easy moose fix would be to splice a simple closed air filter element into the IAC hose.

Cool lookin' like this: http://www.vacmotionorders.com/slinvafi1.html

or simple like this: http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/457011

I've never tried it, but it should be plenty to break up the resonance. I've seen in-line disc filters in the vac lines of trucks & cars before.

There was a fix that ford put in place for this. It's a longer tube that was used for sound cancellation or was just used as a muffler. I've only seen it on one or two of the cars I've worked on.

Back