• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Unable to Go into Gear MTX

2000SilverSVT

Veteran CEG'er
This has not become a daily occurance (yet) but sometimes at a stop it is hard or not possible to put the car in gear (any gear). Once the car is moving there is no problem shifting. The car has 130,000 miles on what I assume is the original clutch.

I assume that it is the clutch causing this issue but would like other opinions. I am not looking forward to doing a clutch on this car.

does the car shift normally when not running? I would suspect that it could be the clutch, have you tried bleeding it yet to see if that makes a difference?

I get this problem on certain gears like reverse and 1st. Especially in the winter. I can almost never get into reverse in the morning without first putting it in 3rd, then 4th, then reverse.

I will check to see if it goes into gear with engine off after work.

I changed the fluid when I bought the car last year, used Royal Purple. I have put ~12,000 miles on the car since then. This problem started about two weeks ago and is very intermittant but increasing in frequency. I am not noticing any slippage of the clutch at speed or during acceleration.

have you checked to see if the bolts holding your shifter to the tower inside the car a loose? they can become loose and cause problems like this. happened to me. thats the first thing i would look at. just pull the shift boot up and look.

Checked operation before starting the car. No Problem. Checked operation after arriving home and turning the car off. No Problem. Pulled up the shifter boot and did not see anything loose or of concern.

Have not checked Master cylinder yet.

I get this problem on certain gears like reverse and 1st. Especially in the winter. I can almost never get into reverse in the morning without first putting it in 3rd, then 4th, then reverse.

+1

This is my first winter with this car (or any manual for that matter) and I too am having trouble getting it into reverse when the fluid's cold. I put it in 1st and 2nd and then it'll reluctantly go into R. It occasionally fights me over 1st too. When it's warmed up everything's buttery smooth.

Checked operation before starting the car. No Problem. Checked operation after arriving home and turning the car off. No Problem. Pulled up the shifter boot and did not see anything loose or of concern.

Have not checked Master cylinder yet.

so works when car is off, works if you are moving with revs. doesn't work when stopped and running.

It is your clutch. It isn't disengaging all the way.

try bleeding the clutch if it isn't releasing completely.

bleed the brakes (all 4) and the clutch, while also checking the MC for leaks behind and below it, etc.

try bleeding the clutch if it isn't releasing completely.

bleed the brakes (all 4) and the clutch, while also checking the MC for leaks behind and below it, etc.

+1

It is worth changing the clutch fluid. If there is any air in the system, or if there is any gunk built up in the slave cylinder it can act like this.

I have replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes within the last 8 months with Ate Super Blue.

Does the Clutch master share the same resovoir as the brake master? I looked briefly last night and did not see the clutch master.

they are one in the same... your problems didn't happen to start within the last 4-7 months, huh?

Your bleeding job could have introduced air in to the system, possibly?

Yes, bleed them (all 4 brakes) and your problem should go away (or be minimized). It probably started getting worse when the weather got colder.

Problem has not surfaced since my original post. I have not made any changes to the car. I am in the process of moving so bleeding the brakes is not an option for a while.

Thanks to all for the posts. If it starts happening frequently I will try bleeding the system first. Since I believe this is the original clutch I am sure I will be replacing it in the next year or so. :(

I'm having a similar problem, some times it's nice and smooth and some times, it feels like I'm going to grind it(which I did 3x:nonono:)

I just had the tranny fluid changed less then a week ago and it's still the same.

It does not matter if it's hot or cold, with the car on. With the car off it shifts smooth. There is no slippage in any gear.

After reading this post I believe the clutch is not releasing all the way

I just got my short shift kit in and wonder if I should even bother installing it. I will take a look and see if there any bolts loose on the shift tower, I'll also center the shifter with a little help from one of my friends to see if that helps

If this doesn't fix the problem I'll go and have a bleed done.

Just out of curiosity, what does a tranny rebuild cost on average? Or am I better off looking for a used one?

Thx in Advance

Last edited:
Balky shifting

Balky shifting

Much of the shifting problems that occur with the MTX-75 manual transmission can be traced to the use of the wrong transmission fluid. The ONLY fluid recommended by Ford is MOTORCRAFT FULL SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, Part number XT-M5-QS, available at your Ford dealership. Known as 'golden honey', it is expensive(around $17/qt), and you will need 3 qts. Drain your old fluid(let it drip overnight if possible) and fill with honey til it runs out of the fill hole(about 2.6 qts). This will smooth out your problems with getting it in gear when it is cold, and with difficultly with stiffness in your shift pattern. It is a much less expensive solution and will prolong the life of your tranny. Getting these trannys rebuilt will put a major dent in your pocketbook, so be smart and follow Ford's recommendation as to the fluid to use.

Much of the shifting problems that occur with the MTX-75 manual transmission can be traced to the use of the wrong transmission fluid. The ONLY fluid recommended by Ford is MOTORCRAFT FULL SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, Part number XT-M5-QS, available at your Ford dealership. Known as 'golden honey', it is expensive(around $17/qt), and you will need 3 qts. Drain your old fluid(let it drip overnight if possible) and fill with honey til it runs out of the fill hole(about 2.6 qts). This will smooth out your problems with getting it in gear when it is cold, and with difficultly with stiffness in your shift pattern. It is a much less expensive solution and will prolong the life of your tranny. Getting these trannys rebuilt will put a major dent in your pocketbook, so be smart and follow Ford's recommendation as to the fluid to use.

I have never found anything published by Ford that makes that statement.

I started a multi page response, and somehow it disappeared from my screen before it posted. I'm not going to try to reconstruct it.

The TSB that introduced Ford Honey said something like "required for use in MTX75 transmissions in which it was factory fill and recommended for top off or refill for earlier MTX75 transmissions". Factory fill started in early 2000, only a few months prior to the end of Contour production.

Mercon ATF was factory fill for nearly all the production life of the Contour. There never was a problem of transmission breaking or falling apart from lubrication failure with Mercon.

Ford Honey is not a high quality transmission fluid. The best things going for it is that it is synthetic, probably group III, and that it is highly resistant to sludge. The additive package is very weak. It is expensive, especially for what you don't get.

Many oil companies (including Royal Purple) specify synthetic motor oil as a replacement for Ford Honey, again showing that Ford Honey doesn't have much of an additive package oriented toward gear protection or synchro operation.

Ford Honey is a Castrol product. It is not available as a Castrol product in the US, but is commonly available in many other parts of the world, including Europe, where it is more competitively priced.

What I still don't get is why a fluid that is nearly motor oil would be preferred over fluids that are specifically blended for manual transmission use, and have a much more robust additive package.

Many have reported that Royal Purple's manual trans fluid works well. Some have reported similar results with Torco. We have learned here at CEG that RedLine MTL is not up to the task as it sludges easily and clogs lubrication channels.

I personally have had great results with ATF+3.

I'll climb off my soap box now.

Ford TSB M/T-MTX75 New Fluid/Service Tip

Ford TSB M/T-MTX75 New Fluid/Service Tip

I have never found anything published by Ford that makes that statement.

I started a multi page response, and somehow it disappeared from my screen before it posted. I'm not going to try to reconstruct it.

The TSB that introduced Ford Honey said something like "required for use in MTX75 transmissions in which it was factory fill and recommended for top off or refill for earlier MTX75 transmissions". Factory fill started in early 2000, only a few months prior to the end of Contour production.

Mercon ATF was factory fill for nearly all the production life of the Contour. There never was a problem of transmission breaking or falling apart from lubrication failure with Mercon.

Ford Honey is not a high quality transmission fluid. The best things going for it is that it is synthetic, probably group III, and that it is highly resistant to sludge. The additive package is very weak. It is expensive, especially for what you don't get.

Many oil companies (including Royal Purple) specify synthetic motor oil as a replacement for Ford Honey, again showing that Ford Honey doesn't have much of an additive package oriented toward gear protection or synchro operation.

Ford Honey is a Castrol product. It is not available as a Castrol product in the US, but is commonly available in many other parts of the world, including Europe, where it is more competitively priced.

What I still don't get is why a fluid that is nearly motor oil would be preferred over fluids that are specifically blended for manual transmission use, and have a much more robust additive package.

Many have reported that Royal Purple's manual trans fluid works well. Some have reported similar results with Torco. We have learned here at CEG that RedLine MTL is not up to the task as it sludges easily and clogs lubrication channels.

I personally have had great results with ATF+3.

I'll climb off my soap box now.

00-1-9 M/T-MTX75 New Fluid/Service Tip
Fluid/Sevice Tip Article No. 00-1-9

01/10/00

TRANSAXLE-MTX-75-NEW TRANSAXLE

FLUID-SERVICE TIP

FORD: 1995-2000 CONTOUR

MERCURY: 1996-2000 COUGAR, MYSTIQUE

ISSUE
Several internal changes have been implemented on the MTX-75 transaxle to improve shift efforts. These changes have resulted in the need for a new synthetic transmission fluid for ALL service operations.

ACTION
Use only the new fluid when performing any service on Cougars and Contours/Mystiques built after January 1, 2000. Refer to the following for additional details.
A new synthetic fluid is required when topping off the fluid level or whenever the transmisson is being repaired or replaced in service in vehicles built after January 1, 2000. This new fluid (XT-M5-QS) can easily be identified by its "honey" color as opposed to the reddish fluid used previously. The new synthetic fluid(XT-M5-QS) is fully compatible with earlier(1995-2000 model year) transaxles and fluid. It is recommended that this new synthetic fluid(XT-M5-QS) be used exclusively in all model year MTX-75 transaxles when filling a fully drained unit, or when topping off a low fluid level.

PART NUMBER PART NAME XT-M5-QS Transaxle (1L/quart)

This is a copy of the Ford TSB concerning their recommendation for which transmission fluid to use. In speaking with Terry Haines, who I believe knows as much as anyone about these transaxles, he emphasized that only 'golden honey' should be used to minimize any potential shifting problems that seem to occur with other fluids. Based on these recommendations, I changed to the Ford fluid when I first got the SVT, as I was experiencing some stiffness in shifting. The balkiness/hesitation in shifting gears disappeared immediately and has not returned, even in what passes for cold down here. Nowhere, in this TSB or from any other source, have I seen another fluid recommended for exclusive use in these trannys.

Back