• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Unable to Go into Gear MTX

I have not read that TSB for several years. I did not remember it being quite that specific.

I still have a hard time with that being the "only" fluid for that transmission, especially based on my own research and experience.

If you drained Mercon out of your trans, especially if it had been in there very long, I'm certain that you found an improvement. Even Mercon V would have been an improvement.

I truly respect Terry Haines. This is certainly one of those areas in which I will need to agree to disagree. There are better fluids available.

honey didn't work well for me

honey didn't work well for me

Count me in the people who tried the "honey" and it was the WORST of several fluids I have tried. I am not saying it is the worst choice for everyone, but in the cold winters of Cleveland, OH, it made getting into gear very difficult. Maybe in warmer climes it performs better.

I have had the car since new and the tranny and clutch have never needed servicing yet. If I had the revised shift forks and other Terry goodies, I might be inclined to try the honey again.

I have had the best experience with Royal Purple Synchromax.

Count me in the people who tried the "honey" and it was the WORST of several fluids I have tried. I am not saying it is the worst choice for everyone, but in the cold winters of Cleveland, OH, it made getting into gear very difficult. Maybe in warmer climes it performs better.
Let's be reasonable here and if you are going to state worst of several, at least say which other fluids you tried. I replaced whatever fluid was in my MTX with the Ford stuff during last winter and it was a marked improvement. I don't know what I drained out as it was the first time I changed the fluid.
Karl

Let's be reasonable here

I agree, let's be reasonable. Did you even read my post?

First off, you live outside sunny Los Angeles. Your coldest month each year is January and the average LOW in January is 48.

I'm in Cleveland. Our coldest month is also Jan, and our average low is 19! This is straight from weather.com. 30 degrees colder, taking you below freezing, making a big difference when it comes to how fluids behave.

That's why I said "maybe in warmer climes it performs better"... and I also stated that perhaps with a freshened tranny, the honey would be the best choice even up north. I have the "old" forks, the tranny's never been opened and now has almost 100k miles (though hard shifting for R-1-2 in cold weather started a long time ago, maybe around 40k).

As far as which fluids I've tried, I'll gladly share that, in order of how well they worked for ME :

Royal Purple Synchro Max
Fresh ATF+3
Factory Fill
Redline MTL
Ford Honey

I agree, let's be reasonable. Did you even read my post?

First off, you live outside sunny Los Angeles. Your coldest month each year is January and the average LOW in January is 48.

I'm in Cleveland. Our coldest month is also Jan, and our average low is 19! This is straight from weather.com. 30 degrees colder, taking you below freezing, making a big difference when it comes to how fluids behave.

That's why I said "maybe in warmer climes it performs better"... and I also stated that perhaps with a freshened tranny, the honey would be the best choice even up north. I have the "old" forks, the tranny's never been opened and now has almost 100k miles (though hard shifting for R-1-2 in cold weather started a long time ago, maybe around 40k).

As far as which fluids I've tried, I'll gladly share that, in order of how well they worked for ME :

Royal Purple Synchro Max
Fresh ATF+3
Factory Fill
Redline MTL
Ford Honey
Thanks for the list, which is all I asked for. I dislike vague statements and until I saw a list, for all I knew, you were just making it all up.

Obviously I know you have colder winters but that wasn't the point of my reply. I'm not one to say that you must use the Ford stuff but I have a hard time believing that it would be worse than any 3rd party fluids out there. It isn't in Ford's best interest, especially since their stuff costs more than anyone else's.

You've obviously had more time, money, interest or all of the above than I do to try out the different fluids. Maybe in another 50K miles (4 years) I'll try something else. If I can remember to.
Karl

Back