• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pro's And Con's: Contour SVT Vs. Honda Prelude Type S

Im a responsible driver at my age, and I know what I can and cant do. When it comes to "racing" or gunning it or whatever, I know my limits. All of you might ridicule me, most likely because of how old I am, as compared to everyone else, and to how much experience I have compared to everyone else. Its fine.

Ah come on it is fun for us to ridicule you from our wheelchairs and walkers. When you get to this age you will want to make fun of some whippersnapper too.

But seriously don't be too cocky about your skills. It takes time to learn and experience everything. Being a good driver isn't only about controlling your own car. It is about being to anticipate and know what that other stupid driver is about to do. You would be fine in a SVT probably. Don't go trying to get some sub 12 second car though. You aren't ready. Hell I'm not ready and I've been driving since before you knew how to talk.

Damn whippersnappers can't tell them nothing!

Oh, Im not trying to be cocky. Im just saying I'd rather drive within my own limits, you know? And not endanger me, or even a car like the SVT, you know? I've been BUGGIN my dad like CRAZY about the SVT. He says its just a crap car, and the Contour is just no good. I show him all the pictures of all the cars from everyone here on the CEG. Haha. Thats just one of my goals now. To take the SVT and prove it to him, that it IS an amazing car

The CSVT is the way to go. Just for its own uniqness.

I at a financial low decided to buy a CSVT then break the engine have been without a ca for 2 months. But will have a 3L in no time probably the next month or so...

Everything takes time.

I see way to many stupid vtecs in the world all riced up. A CSVT will keep you out the crowd, a sleeper, and all around to me such an awesome car!

I love my CSVT!

- amyn

I've been BUGGIN my dad like CRAZY about the SVT. He says its just a crap car, and the Contour is just no good. I show him all the pictures of all the cars from everyone here on the CEG. Haha. Thats just one of my goals now. To take the SVT and prove it to him, that it IS an amazing car

hahaha thats what my dad said when i told him i was buying a domestic. he was giving me crap until we got to the dealership and he got to test drive it, it really changed his mind when he actually got to see the motor and how nice the interior was. what got him the most was the kick and the torque the motor gave out cuz he didnt think a small V6 would be that great. have your dad actually check the car out and drive it, it may change his mind.

I've been BUGGIN my dad like CRAZY about the SVT. He says its just a crap car, and the Contour is just no good. I show him all the pictures of all the cars from everyone here on the CEG. Haha. Thats just one of my goals now. To take the SVT and prove it to him, that it IS an amazing car
You don't need the approval of others to buy what you want, unless he's paying (in which case you're probably annoying him because you have a perfectly working car) or you need a cosigner to get your insurance (I'm not familiar with under-18 rules).

hahaha thats what my dad said when i told him i was buying a domestic. he was giving me crap until we got to the dealership and he got to test drive it, it really changed his mind when he actually got to see the motor and how nice the interior was. what got him the most was the kick and the torque the motor gave out cuz he didnt think a small V6 would be that great. have your dad actually check the car out and drive it, it may change his mind.

After I got my CSVT my dad tried to find any excuse he could to drive it.

Are you volunteering this service for anyone? ;)
Yeah, I could use that too.... How about these parts...
1. MTX clutch pedal assm
2. MTX
3. SVT Brakes (everything)
4. Custom ECU for turbo 3L
5. SVT front sheetmetal
6. V6 engine mounts
7. MTX tranny mounts
8. LSD
9. Aftermarket coilovers to fit a '96 tour
10. Mirko front lip
11. Everything in between...
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

It sounds to me, after all the debate, that the OP would be happier in a Prelude or maybe even an Accord or Acura coupe with some suspension work. Those cars CAN be made to carve up some pavement, and they're a lot easier to mod for straight line speed.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Well you are asking in the CEG forum... so take everything with a grain of salt.
But honestly, if I could have found another svt in my price range/condition I wanted I would still have taken it over the car I currently have... (and my current car is faster in a straight line and handles well too). There is just something about the SVT that grabs you.
Plus the fact that I work in SF and I see a billion of my car everywhere and have only seen an svt twice in the past couple of months.

Well.

I myself owned the Base model Prelude, 1997, automatic with that so not friendly and prone to crap out at times (not always) shifting deal or whatever it is called...i forgot already.

I LOVED THE CAR, until i realized that it wasn't going to be a 12's or so car unless i spend as much money as the car was worth into parts for this and even then the car is heavy and it costs to insure.

Quality, looks, drive and potential... the prelude does damn well in.

FCSVT, 1999, currently own...it is nice, 3rd gear grind, P0420 code, but i tell you what, the handling this thing has compared to the lude is not the same, i could do amazing things with this car with the tires and good suspension (stock) i have, with the prelude i could, but you still need to lower it to make it better.

The SVT just came like that, a dude in his 60's told me one day as i walked out of work to go home..."oh man, is that yours? i said yes, he said...GREAT HANDLING machines, take care and drive careful. Hmmm...this came from a guy driving a 04 WRX with a good tire setup and a custom exhaust system..." i was shocked.

I even tried to sell this thing after my problems, but dude, this car is just amazing, first performance oriented car i own that is American and i LOVE THE CAR, even friends who know i like to take care of my cars and bring them to my good quality standards want to buy it but i tell them to look around, this :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: is not going anywhere.

Simple...want looks, quality and good performance? Prelude
want looks, out of ordinary, limited production, but always looked around car and plenty to mod on and improve on? CSVT

That is my two cents.

ok, I don't know what I was thinking before but just to set something straight...

The Type S was never offered here in the US. Those year (97-02) Preludes were only offered in two trims here in the US, the base model and the Type SH (Super Handling).

So if you want to talk about rarity, I would say it's more rare to see a Type S than a SVT rolling around the streets of any US city :D

Back