• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Modifications to install SVT exhaust on 98 SE?

bullion

CEG'er
I am selling my SVT exhaust in the classifieds section and someone asked me if the exhaust will bolt up to a 98 SE. Will any modification be needed for the buyer to do this?

- u need a second hanger for the right handside muffler

- flanges differ (SE 2' vs SVT 2.25")...edit: use a 16 inch straight pipe to mate the 2 pipes(2" -> 2 1/4"), or use flex pipe

Last edited:
Unless the SE exhaust and SVT exhausts are different lengths, it sounds as though you would have to cut off the 2.25" flange of the SVT exhaust and weld on a new 2" flange adapter pipe to make this work.....

Am I missing something?

Unless the SE exhaust and SVT exhausts are different lengths, it sounds as though you would have to cut off the 2.25" flange of the SVT exhaust and weld on a new 2" flange adapter pipe to make this work.....

Am I missing something?

put a straight pipe instead of the flange or weld the 2" flange onto the SVT exhaust...weld it on since the exhaust it's getting cut one way or the other

the length should be the same

Last edited:
It still bolts right up... The main cat on a non-svt is 2", the svt main cat is 2.25" so it will still bolt right up either way.

The one that I had on my mystique didn't line up perfectly so we had the cut and adjust the rear half to make it fit. I'm not sure if that is always true though because I never put mine on without the mangaflow resonator, so its possible that that was aligned slightly wrong causing fitment issues.

I've helped with a few of these. It's a plug and play except for adding a right side exhaust hanger.

You need an extension when adding it to a Zetec.

There are two SVT exhaust systems. Early and late. It may break down along E0 and E1 lines. The difference is in routing around the gas tank. You can use a late set on anything, but the early one must go on an early car or you will have a conflict at the gas tank.

To clarify even more - judging by his build # (#607) , I'd say his car is most likely an E0 , so his exhaust will fit a '95-early '98 V-6 Contique . As was stated , a late CSVT exhaust will fit ANY year V-6 Contique without any mods except adding the right rear muffler hanger .

I've helped with a few of these. It's a plug and play except for adding a right side exhaust hanger.

You need an extension when adding it to a Zetec.

There are two SVT exhaust systems. Early and late. It may break down along E0 and E1 lines. The difference is in routing around the gas tank. You can use a late set on anything, but the early one must go on an early car or you will have a conflict at the gas tank.

For future reference and to help someone later down the road...I ran into this problem. I traded some car parts for an SVT exhaust for my daughter, she has a 98 1/2 SE. After reading all the "it's plug and play, just add a hanger" threads I figured there was going be no problems. Wrong! I found out later that this exhaust was from an early 98 and that is why it wasn't "plug and play". After having to get the exhaust cut, pieced and re-welded to fit, it was finally on.

So, for those of you with later 98's and up, make sure to ask if you are getting an exhaust from an early 98. It's better to know up front so you can make accommodations when having it installed.

That's what the issue I had was. Now that I think about it, the only issue was clearing the gas tank... We just had to cut and add a couple more joints in the rear section to make it fit.

For future reference and to help someone later down the road...I ran into this problem. I traded some car parts for an SVT exhaust for my daughter, she has a 98 1/2 SE. After reading all the "it's plug and play, just add a hanger" threads I figured there was going be no problems. Wrong! I found out later that this exhaust was from an early 98 and that is why it wasn't "plug and play". After having to get the exhaust cut, pieced and re-welded to fit, it was finally on.

So, for those of you with later 98's and up, make sure to ask if you are getting an exhaust from an early 98. It's better to know up front so you can make accommodations when having it installed.

Back