• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

running lean in banks 1 and 2 please help!!!!!

Black00SVT

Be Gentle I'm New Here
hello im fairly new to this site and i've found it very helpful in the past but now i have a problem that i've been so close to fixing but just cant do. my 96 contour se with 72000 miles ive rebuilt the uim and the lim which were in desperate need and ive done the dpfe sensor and a few other vacum leaks that ive fixed with a smoke machine. its running lean in both banks 1 and 2 its consumming more gas and getting hotter im out of idea so please if anyone could help on this i would be more then thankful!!!!!!!

Welcome. :) Assuming you have a CSVT, is your engine a 2.5 stock or 3L?

What do you mean by getting hotter? Is the gauge needle going to the red? Turn on the heater. Do you have hot air coming out? If not, you have a Water Pump issue. If you have hot air coming out, chances are your thermostat needs changing, your ECT sensor is shot or radiator is clogged.

Post the exact CEL codes. If it is P0171 and P0174, you have a massive vacuum loss. Look for a cracked or broken vacuum hose. But post the exact codes and we can go from there.

Last edited:
Also might want to check on the MAF sensor. Mine was reallllllly dirty when I bought my car and I had really bad gas mileage, and had P0171 (only one bank on my car, 4cyl).

if both banks are lean there are a few options, a dirty or bad maf, a vacuum leak or the wrong injectors.

You just rebuilt the UIM/LIM.. there's also chances that you have a gasket leak from that..

You just rebuilt the UIM/LIM.. there's also chances that you have a gasket leak from that..

exactly, im willing to bet he didnt use new gaskets on the essential spots. Or forgot to plug a certain hose back in.

all the gaskets are brand new ive done the smoke test on it a few times and only came up with a vacum leak the first time i did the test then fixed that the codes are p0171 and p0174 and thats all i get so its just getting annoying so any ideas?????

all the gaskets are brand new ive done the smoke test on it a few times and only came up with a vacum leak the first time i did the test then fixed that the codes are p0171 and p0174 and thats all i get so its just getting annoying so any ideas?????

Well if you have ruled out ALL VACUUM LEAKS, then just try cleaning the MAF. It takes like two seconds...Pop off the stock air box, pop off the MAF from the air box, and clean with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol, while being careful not to damage the wires. That's the cheap and easy way to do it...Better way is to get the proper Torx attachment to remove the bolts, and to take a razor to lightly scrape out the dirt from in between the loops, while finishing it off with alcohol.

Well if you have ruled out ALL VACUUM LEAKS, then just try cleaning the MAF. It takes like two seconds...Pop off the stock air box, pop off the MAF from the air box, and clean with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol, while being careful not to damage the wires. That's the cheap and easy way to do it...Better way is to get the proper Torx attachment to remove the bolts, and to take a razor to lightly scrape out the dirt from in between the loops, while finishing it off with alcohol.

:shocked:

I would NEVER, EVER, do that to my MAF!

I had those two CEL's for about a year. Cleaning the MAF helped a little, but I think it was changing the O2 sensors that's finally done the trick. Especially the bank 1 upper sensor in between the engine and the firewall. I went with Bosch O2 units - each one was about $65. I also had a cracked hose on the anti-moosing fitting, but fixing that seemed to make no difference.

Thanks to projectSHO89 for the tip on the O2 sensor, plus the great how-to link.

Did it to mine and it works fine :shrug:. I didn't have brake parts cleaner on hand...Haven't had a problem with my MAF since I cleaned it in June.
You lucked out. We don't even suggest using "Q-tips" on the MAF sensors as they are very fragile.

Back