• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

i have to replace my cat...

dingleberry

CEG'er
and i was snooping around in the headers.. and i saw some pics of the original exhaust manifold and it looks like there is cats on there to? is this true? what are those things.. if so.. there is a cat that is clogged.. and i need to replace it.. and im already going to see if the cat after the flexpipe is clogged by cutting bolts and replacing it all.. gah.. i dont want to deal with buying new exhaust manifolds :/ or even headers.. haha..

im not looking for performance... im just trying to get everything running perfect so i can start making it look nice.. then im going to sell it.. thats what i do.. thats what i did with my last car...

im not looking for performance... im just trying to get everything running perfect so i can start making it look nice.. then im going to sell it.. thats what i do.. thats what i did with my last car...

If you gut the stock pre-cats you will still pass a sniffer test because of the main cat, however you'll get a Check Engine Light (CEL) and your fuel mileage will suck.

If you flip cars, stay away from Contours, Mystiques, and Cougars - they all suffer this same fate.

2 words: mil-eliminators

only like $5-10 to make if you're handy w/ a soldering iron.

if i had the time and money i would...

If you had the time and money you would....make MIL Eliminators? :shrug:

They only take a few minutes to make. Or, you can buy them for more money.

i go to school 5 days a week and work 8 hours a day for 6 days a week.. i barley have time to even look at my car in the garage trying to fix it.. lol.. im trying to get everything i need so i can take a couple days off to fix it.. i know one of the cats are clogged.. most likely my main one.. thats why im buying a high flow one.. and a new muffler.. (prob the supertrapps).. plus i hate making stuff like that.. lol.. not good with a sodering gun anyways.. but if my cats on my exhaust manifolds are bad.. i might consider buying your manifolds :) gonna have to ship tho..las vegas..

If your contour is a duratech, then I can bet 99% that it is your precats clogging, and not your main cat. I wouldn't touch your main cat unless you are doing it just for fun. That won't help a thing. I would gut your stock precats and install mileliminators and call it a day. Or buy the manifolds with low mileage off hotdimmes. Don't waste your time on the main cat.

If your contour is a duratech, then I can bet 99% that it is your precats clogging, and not your main cat. I wouldn't touch your main cat unless you are doing it just for fun. That won't help a thing. I would gut your stock precats and install mileliminators and call it a day. Or buy the manifolds with low mileage off hotdimmes. Don't waste your time on the main cat.

It was the main cat in my 95 that was clogged. :shrug:

well on mine.. it doesnt go fast AT ALL.. very slow accel.. and a very loud exhaust leak (i can smell it) and im thinking its the EGR pipe thats connected to the manifold.. the pipe could have a crack.. or its something on the manifold.. not quite sure.. any thoughts?

It was the main cat in my 95 that was clogged. :shrug:

Is that the one from the 200,000 mile club? :D Very rare for the main cat to clog on a contour. 95% of the time it is the precats unless you have headers or gutted precats, then your main cat is more suseptable to clogging.

It is to your advantage to gut them. If they are original and are not gutted, they will eventually clog up and set off your check engine light. I'm in the same boat. I have MIL eliminators to keep the light off, but this week I'll clear the cats out for good exhaust flow.

Back