• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about Header Coatings

If one WERE to spray them with something off the shelf :ponder:...what would be the best way to prep them? Out of the box they're dirty and oily.

you would need to clean them with a grease/wax remover. like "Total Prep" and use some sand paper on them so the paint has some mechanical adhesion.

And then lose out on a better product??

Yes. I can't condone stealing in any form. If Weapon R could produce a quality set of headers of their own design using SS for a similar price to MSDS, I would have bought them. Having seen the build quality of their Contour/Cougar fluid reservoirs, I sincerely doubt they could build a product of quality on their own.

I got these coated from a local powder coating business for about a 100 bucks. Been on my car for over 2 years'ish and still look like they do in this picture.

DCFC0109.jpg

DCFC0109.jpg

And then lose out on a better product??

- amyn

You clearly don't know how it feels to spends countless hours and dollars developing a product, only to have someone steel you design and take money out of your pocket. :rolleyes:

WR can't even copy a product right, the EGR requires modification to bolt them up. And after seeing a few of WR's other products, I'm surprised that was the only figment issue.

They're SS, big deal, ceramic coat mild steal and you're set. I ceramic coated an optimized y-pipe three years ago and it still doesn't have one spot of rust on it after three WI winters. I coated the headers i installed and also did a few sets for other members, and i can guarantee you that theirs still look great too.

~Josh

You clearly don't know how it feels to spends countless hours and dollars developing a product, only to have someone steel you design and take money out of your pocket. :rolleyes:

WR can't even copy a product right, the EGR requires modification to bolt them up. And after seeing a few of WR's other products, I'm surprised that was the only figment issue.

It wasn't the only one. Each bank of the WR header kit was prone to some variations which required use of the WR Y pipe that compensated for the variation, OR you'd have to mod your stock Y to get it to fit. There have been several stories about the WR fitment issues from start to finish. Not all sets were subject to poor fitment issues, but certainly enough to say their QC efforts and/or jig SUCKED.

I was OK with WR headers for a while since they were, IMHO, reasonably priced. MSDS was selling a set for $600 or $700 when you could get fancy pipes for other platforms for under $200. That was more price difference than I could stomach.

They're SS, big deal, ceramic coat mild steal and you're set. I ceramic coated an optimized y-pipe three years ago and it still doesn't have one spot of rust on it after three WI winters. I coated the headers i installed and also did a few sets for other members, and i can guarantee you that theirs still look great too.

I like the look of SS when they're going in (they don't stay that way and you'll note surface rust spots within a few months), and polished up for a show car they're great. Other than that the ceramic coated versions are the way to go. The coated headers radiate FAR less heat and keep the under hood temps MUCH lower. $250 or $300 for a set of MSDS coated headers are a good price on a superior product and are better for performance, and better for your car.

When coating the headers, should you coat the mating surface of the flange where it mounts to the block or leave it unfinished? What about coating the inside as much as possible?

If its of any interest this was/is the costings to blighty.

To the Uk we charge $75 more for shipping overseas on top of the price you see there. Your total to ship to UK is $660 for both peices ceramic coated. Thank You Joey
>
> From: "parts"
> Date: 2007/09/18 Tue AM 05:58:43 CDT
> To: <sales@nautilusperformance.com>
> Subject: MSDS headers amd Y pipe.
>
> Very interested in the Cougar/Contour duratec V6 headers and Y pipe - just checking something!
>
> On check out it says the carriage is $50 is this correct for the UK?
>
> If it is I`m seriously interested!
>
> Cheers
>
> Bobster
>
> www.stownersclub.com

Would it be possible to powder coat the headers overtop the coating that joey puts on his headers? or would you have to remove it?

I'm going to be doing this today, so I'm bringing my question back up...

When coating the headers, should you coat the mating surface of the flange where it mounts to the block or leave it unfinished? What about coating the inside as much as possible?

Some coatings can be used internally. Jethot does inside and out. Swain is outside only.

Flanges I would say ideally should not be coated and should probably be ground flat after coating, but nobody does that.

don't just look at header coating has rustproofing but also has a way to gain another few more ponies out of your headers. the coating does a dual role 1st it reduses underhood temps which helps to cool the motor and air charge but the next biggest gain is that by retaining heat within the headers increases the exhaust gas velocity. hot gasses expand and travel faster which increases the scavenging effect or exit inertia which cleans out the cylinders more quickly and draws in the next air/fuel mixture more efficiently thus more hp is gained.

Once I saw how close the damn front bank header was to the fans and rad, I felt the need to do something about reducing the radiant heat down from the headers. Just thinking about how much of that heat was being dumped back into the engine "coolant" freaked me out to an extent. Anything you can do to reduce radiant heat from the exhaust system will be worth while IMO, wether it be for longevity issues or performance.

My headers are on their way I will take pictures of before and after and during. I decided to go with VHT Flameproof Manifold Spray on paints!

- amyn

I'll take a pic of my extreme coated MSDS I got last week. I havn't even pulled them outa the bubblewrap yet :laugh:

Back