• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about Header Coatings

I thought I remember seeing that you can buy it at Murray's, AutoZone, Advance, and a few other places that I can't think of now.

The stores near me don't carry the flame-proof VHT, I'd have to order it.

Cool. Has anyone used the "Universal Aluminum" color? Does it just come out as a greyish color? Light or dark? Shiney or dull? I wish they had pictures of the colors.

I got mine at some small chain auto parts store. www.vhtpaint.com gives you the dealers in your state and just look for a town ur in.

I just got white primer and clear for now i need a paint in the middle!

- amyn

also i know this does not mean anything other than just a FYI. duplicolor now owns VHT. but the brand is not changing. so you can bet that duplicolor will have the temps raised on there exhaust paint with VHT's stuff. so in time we should be able to get higher temp paints easer.

Last edited:
also i know this does not mean anything other than just a FYI. duplicolor now owns VHT. but the brand is not changing. so you can bet that duplicolor will have the temps raised on there exhaust paint with VHT's stuff. so in time we should be able to get higher temp paints easer.

That is actually awesome info due to duplicolor offers a lot more colors for their own high heat paint(1200 deg.) when they make it 1600 deg like vhts recipe with more colors then we are talking!

- amyn

My headers are getting there slowly.... I think I am going to get them all completed tomorrow as I am dedicating from when I wake till I sleep to my headers! The baking process and the cleaning of the oven are the only things that are going to slow me down!

Pics will be taken and will be posted SOON!!!!

- amyn

I've had my MSDS heeaders since 2000, the ceramic coating does make them last longer. I think it's worth it.
Fact is, eventually all headers are going to rust out, but the coating is going to prolong that.
I have never had much luck with high temp paint, but it is better than nothing.
Never, never use exhaust wrap though, unless you are on a racers budget and can afford to replace them after each season.

mikey

My headers are getting there slowly.... I think I am going to get them all completed tomorrow as I am dedicating from when I wake till I sleep to my headers! The baking process and the cleaning of the oven are the only things that are going to slow me down!

Pics will be taken and will be posted SOON!!!!

- amyn

they baked pretty good when we started the new motor up didn't they :laugh:

Back