• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Tiburon replacement uncovered - Genesis Coupe

Wow... just wow...

hyundaigenesiscoupe---1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-...i-coupe/478997

New Tiburon Forum member anthony718 just posted some pics of the new Hyundai Coupe totally undisguised. Saying he got the pics from "a friend," he details how the photos came from a market research event back in June. According to the info given, the Coupe would have two engine options, a 2.0L turbo with 215HP and 217 ft-lbs of torque, or a 3.8LV6 with 300HP and 280 ft-lbs. Prices were given as $19,900 for the 4 or $25,900 for the V6. While we have good reason to believe there will be a genuine V8 in the engine bay when we see the car in LA next week, this event was held back in June and changes could have been made since that time.

Full story: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/08/h...y-undesguised/

$26K for a 300hp model which I'm sure will come with a ton of extra features like dual zone climate control, navigation, etc... add to all that the Genesis sedan will be released with a 4.6L V8 has most speculating that the Coupe will make it's next appearance with a V8, making it the real deal in the sports coupe category, a full bown rwd, musclecar with an independant rear suspension available for less than a Mustang, and with more options available like stability control, dcc, etc... Even loaded up you get it all for less money than you'd be looking at for a loaded fwd 4-banger RSX-S.

Last edited:
Whats with the stupid dip in the rear window? :shrug: It would look sooo much better if they would have just continued the size of the rear widow down the door window....oh well...

uhhh who cares about the V8 you get a kick ass car if you get the I4 or the V6.

19K for a turboed sports coupe? What a great price.

I'm finding it amusing that on an enthusiast forum, people seem more concerned that the car looks "kinda like" other coupes than with the fact that we're looking at a very capable new rwd sports coupe that is everything people wish the Mustang was (IRS anyone) for less money.

I just spent the last 3 years looking at my GF's RSX-S and can safely say there is nothing remotely similar between the two, other than number of doors and the round tires.

Zorrex, if you look in the picture/video forum you'll find the Genesis sedan will be coming with the V8, and tht it's pretty much guaranteed to be in the Genesis coupe. So if the V6 makes the same power as the Mustang V8, I imagine the Hyundai V8 will be even more capable.

Last edited:
Whats with the stupid dip in the rear window? :shrug: It would look sooo much better if they would have just continued the size of the rear widow down the door window....oh well...
Word. First thing I noticed. Hyundai must know nothing about body lines and continuity :rolleyes:

I know this is heresy, but I like the lines on the Hyundai better than the mustang in the foreground. (although I am a bit biased against the new mustang since it represents everything the mustang should not be: heavy, underpowered, bland, and overpriced)

Last edited:
Camary back end then molding into a wanna be but can't be corvette front end.(look at the headlights with the point too.)

If they can cram a V8 in there, that'd be impressive. But would it still be FWD?? Only GM is known for the FWD V8 with caddys and D.O.D. cars. (Displacement on Demand)

I know this is heresy, but I like the lines on the Hyundai better than the mustang in the foreground. (although I am a bit biased against the new mustang since it represents everything the mustang should not be: heavy, underpowered, bland, and overpriced)

Don't feel bad, I thought the same thing. Almost makes the Mustang look...plain?

Hyundai could have done a more conventional rear quarter window, and while I agree it might look better, at least they're trying to do something distinctive.

I think offering such value in a RWD coupe is pretty distinctive enough in it's own right though, so maybe they should have toned down the window. :p

I find it amazing that in 10 years that the SVT goes from being one of the higher output v6's in the market and now, compaired to this, it is vastly underpowered. I really like the look of the car and along with a drivetrain like that for the price, I wouldn't care if it is RWD, I would buy it.

Atleast their starting to add some power to go with the looks, the Koreans should be taken more seriously as their cars are looking better and better!

I'm finding it amusing that on an enthusiast forum, people seem more concerned that the car looks "kinda like" other coupes than with the fact that we're looking at a very capable new rwd sports coupe that is everything people wish the Mustang was (IRS anyone) for less money.

I just spent the last 3 years looking at my GF's RSX-S and can safely say there is nothing remotely similar between the two, other than number of doors and the round tires.

Zorrex, if you look in the picture/video forum you'll find the Genesis sedan will be coming with the V8, and tht it's pretty much guaranteed to be in the Genesis coupe. So if the V6 makes the same power as the Mustang V8, I imagine the Hyundai V8 will be even more capable.

The Mustang doesn't really need IRS. Ol' Shel actually addressed this very subject a little while back, stating that the way the car is set up, an IRS design would have added a whole lot of cost without significant benefit. In other words, one of the men with the greatest Mustang experience is pleased with the car's current setup.

For my part, I do not believe I could take myself seriously trundling from pillar to post in a Korean coupe, whatever its numbers on paper.

The Mustang doesn't really need IRS. Ol' Shel actually addressed this very subject a little while back, stating that the way the car is set up, an IRS design would have added a whole lot of cost without significant benefit. In other words, one of the men with the greatest Mustang experience is pleased with the car's current setup.

Complete and utter crap. Marketing line used to help ease the pain. Rara and I have both driven S197's with and without the IRS and the difference is lightyears. Especially on the GT500, the IRS was sublime. The stick axle set-up they have works well and is significantly better than the previous generation, but it is not equal to the IRS. It was dropped due to cost pure and simple on both programs.

-Todd

Last edited:
I thought Rouch had the IRS on the cars. Remember the guys on Top Gear were saying that is was a much better car than the GT500 even though it had less hp.

Complete and utter crap. Marketing line used to help ease the pain. Rara and I have both driven S197's with and without the IRS and the difference is lightyears. Especially on the GT500, the IRS was sublime. The stick axle set-up they have works well and is significantly better than the previous generation, but it is not equal to the IRS. It was dropped due to cost pure and simple on both programs.

-Todd

Bingo. The early GT500 development cars that had th IRS were really good. The IRS design was very good, but heavier than the solid axle, and significantly more expensive. The weight thing was not nearly as bad as it sounds, because the car is so nose heavy, that the extra weight in the rear was good for balance, and the unsprung weight was still less than the solid axle. There were a lot of us that were disappointed when it was dropped from the program.

I thought Rouch had the IRS on the cars. Remember the guys on Top Gear were saying that is was a much better car than the GT500 even though it had less hp.

No, Top Gear had thier technical facts wrong. The reason the Roush handled better in that test is because it had very sticky tires, and spring and shock rates that would not pass Ford durability. Roush does a good job with thier aftermarket Mustang bits, but there are definately legit reasons why its faster around the Top Gear track than GT500, but it certainly doesn't involve significant suspension geometry changes.

Back