• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mazda 3L differences?

biminiLX

Hard-core CEG'er
I was following a Mazda 6 tonight and wondered if the 3.0 in the Mazda could be used like the Taurus/Sable/Escape/Tribute 3.0s.
Specifically does the Mazda use different cams or a better top end? My thoughts because the 6 is more of a sporty sedan than the others.
And yes I did type in 'Mazda' for a search of this forum.
-J

With the average mans budget, no, it can't be done. But in reality, anything can be done if you have endless money. I know I would be building a Forged 3L AWD turbo SVT if I had endless money!

No, for the same reason the Lincoln LS 3L won't work. Search down a few posts for the LS question.
Not really much explanation in that thread. Two brief statements saying its because of the VVT and different heads, that is all.
I'll take your word on it but what is differnt about the heads on the LS/M6 3.0?
Couldn't a VVT engine still be ran w/o VVT activated? :shrug:
-J

you've got an 800+hp LX and you can't tell US why you couldn't run a VVT engine "w/o VVT activated" (exactly what WOULD that entail, really...LOL)

you do understand what VVT is, and in this case, how it is ACHEIVED? you think you can deactivate it like its some PCM commanded optional component?

I was following a Mazda 6 tonight and wondered if the 3.0 in the Mazda could be used like the Taurus/Sable/Escape/Tribute 3.0s.
Specifically does the Mazda use different cams or a better top end? My thoughts because the 6 is more of a sporty sedan than the others.
And yes I did type in 'Mazda' for a search of this forum.
-J

To give you heads up on what we will be rolling up on a dyno by next year will be a VVT engine with a fully functional VVT where we will be selling the LIM and the blackbox to control the VVT. We also will be selling the whole engine with the SC ready to go on the car using the factory PCM on the cougar or contour. Joey

you've got an 800+hp LX and you can't tell US why you couldn't run a VVT engine "w/o VVT activated" (exactly what WOULD that entail, really...LOL)

you do understand what VVT is, and in this case, how it is ACHEIVED? you think you can deactivate it like its some PCM commanded optional component?
Not really sure why you came with that attitude, but whatever man, you're a mod :rolleyes: .
I'm not going to say I know that much about VVT, especially the form used in the Mazda. I didn't even know the 6 or LS had VVT.
I know the basics of VTEC and yes, I thought it would be possible to run a VVT engine without VVT functioning. Now, I never would think this is optimal or advisable, but only possible.
So, as you seem to have this knowledge, and there really isn't any real info in the other thread mentioned, please enlighten me.
My whole point to this is that the Mazda is more of a sporty car than a Taurus/Sable/Escape so one would assume the induction package and specifically the cams in a Mazda 6 3.0 would be better suited to a CSVT application.
I know plently about SBFs and its VERY easy to make 530 NA HP from 427". Add boost to that in a well designed package and 800hp is the low end of what is expected.
-J

To give you heads up on what we will be rolling up on a dyno by next year will be a VVT engine with a fully functional VVT where we will be selling the LIM and the blackbox to control the VVT. We also will be selling the whole engine with the SC ready to go on the car using the factory PCM on the cougar or contour. Joey
Very nice, you guys do some pretty cool sh*t for our cars.
I'd love to go with one of your turbo kits, but I have another money pit.
-J

Not really sure why you came with that attitude, but whatever man, you're a mod :rolleyes: .

You're right.. the attitude was a little harsh, and I didn't intend it to be that way.. I apologize.. however, mod or not, it would have been too harsh, so I don't understand where the "you're a mod :rolleyes:" comment comes from. That's just tossing it out there to sound a little more convincing, I guess. Either way, I apologize..

and yes, I understand that 800hp would be the low end (how "low" is 800 hp, really!!!!! lol) I'm actually quite envious of the setup!

You're right.. the attitude was a little harsh, and I didn't intend it to be that way.. I apologize.. however, mod or not, it would have been too harsh, so I don't understand where the "you're a mod :rolleyes:" comment comes from. That's just tossing it out there to sound a little more convincing, I guess. Either way, I apologize..

and yes, I understand that 800hp would be the low end (how "low" is 800 hp, really!!!!! lol) I'm actually quite envious of the setup!
No problem man, I understand things can come off wrong sometimes.
Anyway, yes 800hp will be very hard to call low in any way.
I had the car running well on motor but it was amazing how quickly 530hp became 'not enough'. I got addicted to how easy my '04 Cobra made power with boost so when I sold the Cobra I decided to get really serious with the Mustang.
Here's a bad dirty pic (lost the better ones I had saved):
91angle.jpg

And the turbo:
P1010014.jpg

Its a stroked 351W with a mild turbo hydraulic roller and should make 800rwhp with 10# boost. The turbo is a special T6 88mm good for 1350hp at max rating.
When I get bored soon I'll make a post on my car and my brother's wicked '03 Cobra powered '86 GT.
-J

Back