• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

12 Second Contour???

burrita did a 13.2 and bent an axle i hear. demon's 13.4 was N/A and gives all us contour owners hope.

I respect Demon & his work. Great stuff... BUT, I have always had my doubts about that N/A time. I suspect but cannot confirm he had a little help under the hood, or there was something up with the timing equipment or mixup that printed out that timeslip for him.

Just too good to be true! And maybe I'm jealous. :blackeye:

.... And the Mechanic Kittah appears to be inspecting the floorpan bolts, not the manifold.

Last edited:
Demon's 14.68 is rather like the holy grail for 2.5 NAs also. He had to be doing everything right along with optimizing every little detail. I'm jealous too.

Back in the day Demon and I had very similiar N/A 2.5 setups and they ran quite similiarly....My 14.71 at 95 to his 14.69 at 96 IIRC...

I went the 2.5 turbo route back when it was made by Streetflight and posted a best of 13.51 at 107.56 on a mere 8psi with a 2.3 60' time....

That was the last time I went to the track with the SVT and later sold it to SVTRob. The Tour was a great car and I do miss it from time to time, but it's just not the platform for straightline dead stop racing....

Take care

Last edited:
Excellent driving! Sounds like there was more available if you could have worked that 60' time down a bit - although it's rather difficult in these cars because of wheelspin, much less with a turbo.

Getting the car to hook to get it off the line will be the tricky part, but I've got some ideas, we'll see how well they work. :shrug:

I'm still new to the CSVT world. Hell, new to FWD vehicles period. Been racing Mustangs for the past 10 years and only recently picked up my 99 CSVT so don't kill me here..

What I don't understand is how there can be SVT's with 3L swaps, turbo's, etc claiming 400 +/- fwp, yet, only lay down mph's of 103-107 mph in the 1/4? It doesn't add up. At the track, there are two general guidlines for judging cars that go down the track... E.T. and MPH. ET is an indication of how well a car us using the hp it is making. MPH is an indication of how much hp the car is making at a given vehicle weight (for the most part).

I understand a fwd vehicle is simply not going to 60' like a rwd vehicle would with weight tranfer. But, with all things being equal, the mph should still be there. Case in point..

My last Mustang went a best of 11.87 @ 113 mph with a 1.58 60' with a 5-speed and 5,500 rpm launches on M/T ET Street tires. It weight 3,080 lbs with me and put down 312 rwhp on the dyno (N/A 302 ci). I went to the track one day on regular street radials and spun all the way through 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd. Ended up running slipping and sliding 12.9 @ 112 mph with a 2.0 60'. Obviously ET was greatly effected with the absance of traction, but mph was reletively the same.

I have not weight my CSVT yet, but it seems they weigh around 3,000-3,300 lbs from what I have seen posted. Even spinning its butt off, a car making 400 hp at that weight should still see 110-115 mph MINIMUM at the track. Its GOT to hook at some point. That's when the hp should come into play. I can go to the track this weekend and see Hondas running 13.0's @ 120 mph.

So, someone explain to me why these motor swapped/turbo'd/nitrous CSVT's are going 103-107 mph?

So, someone explain to me why these motor swapped/turbo'd/nitrous CSVT's are going 103-107 mph?

Traction....

400HP in a Contour will spin the tires thru 4th gear....check out some of Joey's old vids...

Slicks or DRs will help, but there are few people that have actually used them. Not to mension that at those pawer levels, and even much lower power levels, axles break like toothpicks on these cars, and a worthy after market replacement has not been built.

simply? You have a car that USED to make ~160whp at the wheels and now you're making right at 400fwhp. That's ~350% increase in power and the MOST you are going to get is a 10% increase in tire width.

Track usage is horrible. Spinning through ALLLLL of third and WELL in to fourth is absolutely normal. You can be spinning quite literally to the end. To spin that much and STILL be able to accelerate to 103-107 is meaning you are making WELL more than the 312 rwhp your mustang was making (and you've seen how much IT spins, even with WHAT size tires?)

Traction....

400HP in a Contour will spin the tires thru 4th gear....check out some of Joey's old vids...

Slicks or DRs will help, but there are few people that have actually used them. Not to mension that at those pawer levels, and even much lower power levels, axles break like toothpicks on these cars, and a worthy after market replacement has not been built.

Yeah, I believe Joey's car actually trapped lower with his higher power levels.

At SZ 06 I dynoed 355 whp and then went immediately to the drag strip where I trapped at about 103-104. Didn't get traction until 3rd gear. On the street I wouldnt get traction until 4th. :blackeye:

Yeah, I believe Joey's car actually trapped lower with his higher power levels.

Let off the gas? Obviously not a solution to traction issues but you'd think with more power you'd just have to back off a bit to keep the tires from spinning and still get as good of times as with less power. I've never had that kinda problem after 2nd, but I get plenty of practice in the snow :laugh: Just spinning the tires doesn't get you going faster (or much at all) then just slowly holding traction.

Last edited:
no, i'm fresh.

or not....

fresh-prince-of-bel-air-will-smith.jpg

Back