• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My gay purple $250 Contour

This is my 1996 wierd purple colored Contour GL. It's got a slushbox (brand new CD4E installed last year) mated to the 2.5L and it's great on the highway and around town. It spent the last 7 years of it's existence as my brother's car. He was going to take $250 for it as a trade, so I offered to match that.

My brother did not take care of this car, it was washed less than 10 times while he owned it, and the oil was changed 5 times in the 7 years he drove it. It had 45,000kms when he bought it and now sits at 130,000kms, so it's still young yet.

I just replaced the waterpump with a metal impellar version, and changed the darkest, grittiest oil I've ever seen. one of the liwer intake butterfly flaps is broken and one screw was never recovered, but the engine seems fine despite this. I'll be finding a new LIM next time I make a trip to the junkyard. I tossed the stock 15s from the Focus on it, maybe I'll see how the 18" monzas from the Focus look on it.

I washed the car with dawn, rinsed and made another round before I busted out the 2000 grit and went to town on the paint, followed by polish and two coats of wax.

Looks pretty decent for $250 huh?

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

Then I cleaned the crap out of the Focus, clayed, polished, 4 coats of wax, then glaze.

001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

My arms are damn sore... I did them both in the same day...

Last edited:
Yay someone else has the same stupid purple as mine :). How lovely. BTW, you have some sort of clip from a front license plate cover or something on your front bumper.

Glad to see that Focus still lookin secksay after your run of luck. Contours not too shabby at all, especially for what you got it for.

What, no picks of the arse kickin' $50 Monster, I'm kinda disappointed...:cry:

Last edited:
dude...someone painted a bunch of gay clouds on you contour!

looks good for 250! the focus s also the hottness, but im not digging the side turn signals at the bottom of the fender (if thats what they are)

looks good regardless! :drool: :drool:

Gay Purple Mystique is correct it's called Desert Violet Pearl (gay purple is just easier). The clearcoat has a pearl in it, which comes out blue in the sun, the base coat is a dark red color with gold metallic flakes in it. So in the direct sun it's gold, in overcast the blue comes out and turns the car purple and at night it's just a dark purple. Really neat color considering it's factory paint. Downside is you can't touch it up and my hood is chipping really bad on the front so I have dark red sparkly spots all over.

The sidemarkers on the Focus are temporary until I can finally get RS fenders on the car... someday. Or maybe I'll just go ahead and install the Euro fucos triangle side markers up higher if they'll clear the scissor door hinges.

Last edited:
What, no picks of the arse kickin' $50 Monster, I'm kinda disappointed...:cry:

The Micra had a catastrophic engine fire a couple months ago on the freeway. It's done :cry: Just need to call a wrecker to come and get it but everytime I go to do it I find some reason not to. I love that little thing, by far the fost fun I've ever had in a car.

Looks pretty decent for $250 huh?

I'm kind of jealous. I got my gay purple for $2500 with 59,3xx miles. But I guess I still got a deal because in Mass, it's pretty tough to find a car with under 100k miles for under $3000. I've seen Geo Metro's go for more than I got my car for. How sad...

Back