• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Muffler Sizes... What is good, what works?

Savior

CEG'er
So I was trying to order a set of nice-sounding mufflers to go with my new hi-flow cat and MagnaFlow resonator, but apparently there are a lot of different sizes/types available...

http://www.justmagnaflow.com/UniversalMufflers.asp

What size works best under our cars? Probably an oval-shaped one like the stock mufflers, right? But what size? I see:

4" x 9"
5" x 8"
5" x 11"

And how big should the tip be so that it will look large/noticeably not stock, but still fit OK in the SVT's rear-bumper cut-outs? Is 3" good?

Any suggestions? I'm not too picky on this as far as brand name or whatever, I just want some shiny mufflers that sound good and deep, a nice bump up from stock... :confused:

Last edited:
as far as the tip size lots of us run 4". i have 3.5" and i dont like it. im going to 4". that will fill the hole alot better.

as far as the tip size lots of us run 4". i have 3.5" and i dont like it. im going to 4". that will fill the hole alot better.

4" tip it is then.

Are the round mufflers, say up to 6" diameter, too big to fit under our cars without dragging?

And second, what is a good, deep-sounding model? Any reccommendations, anyone?

4" tip it is then.

Are the round mufflers, say up to 6" diameter, too big to fit under our cars without dragging?

And second, what is a good, deep-sounding model? Any reccommendations, anyone?

no. 6inch mufflers will not drag. not even close! Unless u're really low ridin'. i have magnaflow mufflers. They sound really good. A lil loud without a resonator, but still good.

I ran 6" circle magnaflows on mine. No problems and sounded great.

From what Ive seen, the circle Magnaflows are more popular than the oval around here.

no. 6inch mufflers will not drag. not even close! Unless u're really low ridin'. i have magnaflow mufflers. They sound really good. A lil loud without a resonator, but still good.

Sooo... 6-inch round stainless steel Magnaflow mufflers with 4-inch tips? Sounds great!

Where would I acquire a set of these? Anybody know any good sites/sources?

I have my rear bumper off right now cause I'm putting a new one on soon, and I just noticed how much easier it looks to change the mufflers with the rear bumper off, it'd be way easier to get a hack saw in there and clamp up the new ones, unless you were gonna weld which would also be easier, just wanted to throw that out there, for the 10 minutes it takes to take off it might save you a bunch of time putting on new mufflers.

Sooo... 6-inch round stainless steel Magnaflow mufflers with 4-inch tips? Sounds great!

Where would I acquire a set of these? Anybody know any good sites/sources?

summit, jegs, magnaflow, u know the usual auto performance online stores. There are little or no discounts available for these sorta items, so u might be forced to get it thru them.

Do most take them to a place to get them welded on or do most just clamp them on themselves? No idea :shrug:

Welding sound better I got myself a Bassani Exhaust, very VERY VERY Loud! I love the sound once the car warms up and you pound on that gas pedal! O the love.

Sound can get annoying at times but hey isnt that what sound systems are for?

- Amyn

So I was trying to order a set of nice-sounding mufflers to go with my new hi-flow cat and MagnaFlow resonator, but apparently there are a lot of different sizes/types available...

http://www.justmagnaflow.com/UniversalMufflers.asp

What size works best under our cars? Probably an oval-shaped one like the stock mufflers, right? But what size? I see:

4" x 9"
5" x 8"
5" x 11"

And how big should the tip be so that it will look large/noticeably not stock, but still fit OK in the SVT's rear-bumper cut-outs? Is 3" good?

Any suggestions? I'm not too picky on this as far as brand name or whatever, I just want some shiny mufflers that sound good and deep, a nice bump up from stock... :confused:

Trubends system works well in our cars - particularly the resonated system if you want to keep the volume down.

Hooked the old SE V-6 up to an SVT exhaust system and replaced the center res with a mid size 5x8 magnaflow. Sounded GREAT, but a bit quiet for some. Really came alive when 'on it', but didn't attract the constabulary much. :) I did notice just a slight drone with that setup, but I think it could have been fixed by using the shorter 5x8 - which would also make the system slightly louder.

Back