• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interesting day at Ford dealership

kidSVT

CEG'er
So I took my SVT to a near by Ford dealership cause my mechanic said to take it there to get them to check out my shaking problem. I asked them to check out 3 things:

1- the shaking
2- possible oil leak
3- possible vacuum leak: when windshield defroster is on, RPM's shoot up every 3 too 4 seconds. Also when driving with it on, car accelerates by itself when RPM's shoot up.

they did their OBD, and came up with the following that needs to be replaced:

Front Lower control arm, left and right: $488.20 LABOR: $512.71
Front lower Ball joint, left and right: $108.64

Front sway bar bushings: $32.10 LABOR: $179.90
Front end links: $70.36

Oil Pressure sending unit (oil leak): $40 LABOR: $224.88

Rear tires: $184 LABOR: $40

wiper blades: $30

FIRST OF ALL, I never like handing my car over to people I don't know, especially dealerships, I've just heard some nasty things about them. So i never let my baby out of my sight for the 3 hours i was there. well I lied, I would check up on it every 15 mins, just to see what they were doing.

- They said the shaking was from the control arms, which I feel is BULL because the mechanic I know and trust said they were fine.

-PLUS the guy who worked on my car never drove it, so how the hell can he know what it is without feeling what it does??! I asked the guy at the desk if the mechanic drove it around, and he said yes. He flat out lied to my face. O well. our mechanic said he felt like it was coming from the rear, but Ford said the rear checked out fine.

-The random RPM shooting up with the defroster on, the mechanic said was normal. BULL again, that has never happened before, and if anyone was to think it is normal they are crazy. I specifically told him it would accelerate by itself when you drive with it on, but the mofo never drove it long enough to notice anything, so he has no idea what he's talking about.

I was about to leave when I went back and wanted to speak with the mechanic who worked on it, because I wanted to pick his brain, but he was "on his lunch break", but he would call me when he gets back. . . haven't gotten a call yet. I'm done with Ford dealerships. In York at least.

there is some good news in all this :laugh:, I called up Steve at Tousley.. if I were to get everything from the dealership I went too, total will be $738 for aprts. Through Steve.... $321 with the SVT discount :)

Take the car to another repair shop (ask around to find a "trustworthy" one) to get another opinion . Odds are , they'll be more reasonablly priced and not wanting to bend you over the barrell as bad . When/if it needs all those parts , order them from Steve (if the shop doesn't mind , of course) . Sometimes shops don't allow bringing your own parts (ya don't take your own steak to a restaurant & all that) - so if they're doing the work ... ask first .

Yeah we've found a good trustworthy mechanic, they are small and rely on "word-of-mouth" for their business.

I was talkin to my dad, and he said we should get the ball joints and tire rod ends checked out.

Man, look at those prices. Egad! You'd think you went in there dressed like Mr. T.

I'm with Allen -- order the parts from Steve at Tousley -- 800-328-9552 -- save a bundle, then bring them to be installed at a mechanic who's cool with a labor only situation.

Who was with me at Carlislse a few years ago when we discussed the defroster thing? I know mine does it, I assumed it was from the defrost running from the A/C compressor. :shrug:

Who was with me at Carlislse a few years ago when we discussed the defroster thing? I know mine does it, I assumed it was from the defrost running from the A/C compressor. :shrug:

yes the defroster runs the a/c compressor and if the system is low on r-134a it wil short cycle ...

I agree with your reasoning about the R134A.

Separately, could a hesitant compressor clutch also create a similar symptom?

yes the defroster runs the a/c compressor and if the system is low on r-134a it wil short cycle ...

I agree with this...not sure on the specifics of r-134a, but my '92 Probe did the short cycling thing when it was low on refridgerant...

Yep. Mine does the same thing, cycles on and off and sends the idle up and down. Just need some time to get it to a shop for a look/see/fix.

haha, yeah Steve at Tously told me they come together.. I was confused.

PLUS NTB never would have done the alignment if the control arms and ball joints were bad, would they? because i got an alignment problaby a week before I went to ford.

haha, yeah Steve at Tously told me they come together.. I was confused.

PLUS NTB never would have done the alignment if the control arms and ball joints were bad, would they? because i got an alignment problaby a week before I went to ford.

Unfortunately, there's a fallacy in that reasoning. I don't put a lot of stock in the expertise or thoroughness of big tire shops. That said, it is possible that your lower control arms are fine, but don't take NTB's indirect word for it.

I had an alignment shop tell me I needed new BJ's 1 month after I installed new ones. Shaking can be... unbalanced tires, belt in the tire slipped, bad wheel bearings, or bad axles. Might not even have any noises.

^ You two are lucky. I called Steve four times about a part and didn't get a return call. :(

Andrew, did you get the tires put on? If not, do that first.

I remember you said you did the "o'clock test" and that everything checked out. Am I remembering correctly?

Andrew, did you get the tires put on? If not, do that first.

I remember you said you did the "o'clock test" and that everything checked out. Am I remembering correctly?

Yeah you are remembering that correctly. We did get new front tires, but nothing changed. They were balanced and aligned. My dad said to get the ball joints checked out though, because they could cause the shake.

Back