• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Checking Interest on LIM MODS

Checking Interest on LIM MODS

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurritaSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I came across a idea I will be doing that is already in the process of making a true conversion lower intake that will allow someone here to swap a 3 liter over with just a bolt on peice. The lower intake will be split port on top that funnels down smoothly into a lower oval port on bottom. The new lower intake will have injectors relocated in the middle of the of the channel just like the orignal Oval port since the tumbling affect will not be present from the split port design. The secondaires will be out and the fuel injectors will mount up to a aluminum fuel rail custom built for the lower intake. I will also be building a direct injection for NOS. I will have bungs welded in the manifold with plugs so that you can later upgrade by either NOS or water injection for forced induction kits.

The fuel lines will have the ford quick disconnects just like factory so all you will do is plug and play. I will supply a lower gasket for the oval port and the upper will retain the split port gasket. I am curious to what a mod like this will sell for or people will pay for it. This will eliminate the brazing of the fuel line dangerous and the welding of the heads expensive and time consuming or the JB weld which I not a huge fan of yet but does work.

Give me poll of what a device like this will be worth to you

This would same some money if going with full 3L since you don't have to braze the fuel rail, probably around $100 for that and with a split port you don't have to spend hours porting the heads to accept the split port lim. It's more of a time and convenience thing rather than a money thing in my opinion.

Not to mention, if built as desired above, the ability to plug and play (relatively) water injection for FI setups, OR DIRECT PORT N20..

something that is NOT easily attainable at this point, for the average owner.

joey, would this setup be specifically for returnless or return style fuel systems or usable for both without any modifications?

The fuel rail will be the only difference between the two I will stock both sets and more than likely more returnless style since most cougars are doing alot of swaps too. I do not have a prototype but once I get the flanges back from my machine shop I will post pics. Joey

Sounds like a really good idea... This would save a lot of people a lot of trouble/money if they were going with an oval port swap. The bungs for N20 foggers are a nice touch ;)

awesome i want this

so this would mean i can use my svt intake manifold just swap the 2.5 shortblock out for the 3.0 short block

sounds beautiful

Your too late! My 3L heads are already ported. :( I would have loved water injection. I will be all over this with the next build that I do!

Good work Joey.

water/meth injection works as a type of intercooling. a lot of Grand National guys run water injection in thier cars especially the pre 86 non-intercooled ones. the water will in effect act as an "octane booster" by absorbing heat from the combustion chamber and lowering the intake temperature charge.

The fuel rail will be the only difference between the two I will stock both sets and more than likely more returnless style since most cougars are doing alot of swaps too. I do not have a prototype but once I get the flanges back from my machine shop I will post pics. Joey

Cougars have both return and returnless fuel systems. 99 and 00 are mainly return fuel with some exceptions mainly with ATX's having more returnless fuel systems for some reason. 01 and 02 should be all returnless fuel systems.

Can you have a prototype ready for me in 7 days?!?

Maybe I'll be the guy to dyno with the 3.0 UIM and the 2.5 UIM withe everything else the same in order to put to rest the debate over flow.

Last edited:
I need to clarify some points that were brought up to me.

First off we all know that the oval port will flow great numbers. If you take 2" pipe and clamp it down in a vise you will be suprised to see that it shapes out to be the exact size of the oval port now. We know the intercooler in my turbo kit for under 350whp is using 2" piping. Now if you can flow 500cfm through a 2" pipe think about what 6 - 2" pipes can flow (more than the valves can let in) Now there is resistance in a 2" pipe for 450cfm but when you divide that flow across 6 ports you are maybe flowing 80-100cfm max with mininum resistance.

I will tell you what I know and I am sure some will argue this that the split ports will out flow the oval port hands down. There is more cross area of air flow allowing higher volume of air flow. But the smaller tubes allows to keep the velocity up high enough without hurting the restriction.

Turbo application over 500 hp I would split port period to get the maximun flow and keep the torque down low high as possible to overcome the huge turbo lag from large turbine wheel you need to generate that power level. But 90 percent of the people here will only need oval ports and if you run oval port with a tune that ramps up the timing where the secondaires would open you will see hardly any loss in power. Most of us may not know but when the air is tumbling you can ramp up the timing alot more than most engine since the engine can tolerate the advancement due to the fuel Atomization. So if you build a 3 liter you should have had it retuned anyways for the best performance turn off the secondairies and add back half the timing you lose when you turn off the secondaries.

The last thing to remember is the reason we change the motor is for more torque down low and more power across the board. The 3 liter with heavy bolt ons will break loose in first and even second it does not suffer the low torque down low like the 2.5 does. Plus if you are using escape cams you will notice huge gains down low period and SVT cams in my eyes balances the performance across the board.

The fuel economy will be less then 2 mpg difference because the taurus get that stock and if you get it tuned right to 12.5 A/F then you gained another 5 mpg or more.

I expect the first prototype to be built less then 2 weeks if I can get the flanges done this week. Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back