• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to for Header/exhaust install (SW PA)

Wow leave for a few hours and come back to a crazy # of posts :laugh:.

I'll try to respond to these 1st.

The only trouble is that I can't weld the test pipe on. If your OK w/ clamping it on, we can do it. :laugh:

trubendz test pipe is a bolt on scott. :) that is what is on kristen's contour. no need to weld or clamp.

That is correct. Everything that will be going on is bolt on...no welding needed (thank god).

Sent you a PM about that issue Justin.
Needed some other info from you and then I can tell you how to make it work from there.

PM returned :)

I gave Justin the part numbers for the studs/nuts, replacing those will make it easier on you this time around. You shouldn't have to take extra things apart so it will be easier.

I did get the 12 studs and nuts for the headers thanks Christine :) Should I get new studs for the rest of the setup i.e. new studs for the Y, test, flex, catback, or just reuse the old ones?

i know this is prett late in the thread, but if you don't mind the drive, Dan Glicoes in VA does quality work, and since your a CEG member he charges 35/hour. He's 2 hours from my house, i live in stewartstown, PA.

He did my engine swap, headers, exhaust, ect.

thanks for the heads up! I will keep that in mind as a plan B.

Ok here is what I got:

stock stuff is all 2-bolt (y-pipe and SVT catback)

Now the other stuff:

-The WR Y has a 3-bolt flange
-The flex pipe has 3 bolt flange on both sides
-The trubendz test pipe w/ high-flow cat has a 3 bolt flange on the one end and 2 bolt flange on the other. The 3-bolt flange is to hook up to the 3-bolt on the flex pipe pipe and the 2-bolt on the other end is to hook up to the catback.

Here are some pics of my setup. Sometimes pics are worth a thousand words.

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

Ok after the long discussion w/ Christine (thanks a bunch!) I have figured the best way to go is to put the WR headers, WR Y, flex, and Trubends test w/ hi-flo cat to the stock SVT exhaust at Scott's and then get the Borla cat back put on at Meineke incase there needs to be any cutting and welding to get it all aligned properly.

I just need to determine exactly what size/strength/pitch bolts to use to replace the spring loaded bolts that connect the test to the catback. Need to get nuts for the flex pipe studs also.

Also, Scott...if we can't get the old studs out of the manifolds or they snap...just wondering if you have the tools to get them out to replace them w/ the new studs.

As far as what weekend i'm pretty much open to whenever you are avail.

With the flex-pipe , do they HAVE spring loaded bolts ??? Haven't rolled under my car in a while ... :shrug:

We'll see how fast Christine & Ken get their THIRD set of headers installed ;) . They're like old pros now :cool: !

Do you need the spring loaded bolts if a flex pipe is present? I always thought it was one or the other? Oh and welcome Chris and Ken to the 3rd set of header installation club. Phew, say that three times, really fast! ;)

Justin,
I have a pretty good collection of tools, but I broke 5 5mm sockets tryin' to get my studs out. I wound up just leaving mine in/using new nuts. Doesn't seem to be an issue yet. If we run into the same rough spots as I did, we can just remove everything that's in the way (alternator, radiator, a/c lines, etc.) You may want to grab some coolant just in case.

As far as when, if your in a rush, we could do it this weekend, but it would work out soooo much better if we could do it the 23rd and 24th. Life's been a bit crazy for my wife at work (Short version: New boss is a :censored: ), so I could use a weekend to help out around the house before I bring in another car to play all weekend on.;) Gimme a call later today @ (412) 974-9442, and we can set up something.

Anyone else wanna come and play/watch/drink???? I know the last one was kinda long, but most seemed to have a good time. Hopefully this goes smooth. :laugh:

Justin, I sent you the pictures again. Let me know that you got them.

Scott,

How confident are you that we could bang out the headers in one day? Reason why I'm asking is b/c I have a family function I need to be at Sunday. However, I could start Saturday at the crack of dawn and work till midnight or a little later (again lol). Let me know what you think. Also b/c of the WR design I need to the put on the headers, WR Y,flex, and bolt up test to the stock catback. Reason being is b/c I hear the WR headers don't always mate well w/ the stock Y. If it mates good then we can stop there as I could probable do the rest. But if the WR headers don't mate well w/ the stock Y then I have to put on the WR Y (which has 3 bolt flange), 3 bolt flange flex, and then the test pipe w/ a 3bolt flange on one end and 2 bolt on the other to connect to the stock catback.

If there is anything like putting some of the parts together now to make the job go faster let me know.

All I really still need to get are SS nuts and lock washers for the flex pipe, SS bolts and nuts for the test-pipe to catback connection, isolator to hang the flex pipe, and a compression fitting.

Justin, I really can't say. If it all goes as it should, I'd like to say yes, we could do it in a day. Now that I know what all need to be removed to get at each bolt we need to, I won't mess around trying to squeeze my hands in somewhere it won't fit. What concerns me is the unknown, such as a stuck nut, stripped bolt, etc. What about starting Friday night, tearing stuff off for a while, so that Saturday we just reassemble everything? That could buy us a few hours of spare time? :shrug: Gimme a call when you read this, we can decide. I've enlisted a few folks to giuve a hand (my brother, and Bobby, who works at a garage, and pimpedcontour said he might stop down also). My cell is (412) 974-9442. We'll see what's up then. Just don't want to get you stuck and miss anything.

If there is anything like putting some of the parts together now to make the job go faster let me know.

Nope, there is nothing you can really put together before hand to make it go any faster. Sorry.

Now that I know what all need to be removed to get at each bolt we need to, I won't mess around trying to squeeze my hands in somewhere it won't fit. What concerns me is the unknown, such as a stuck nut, stripped bolt, etc. What about starting Friday night, tearing stuff off for a while, so that Saturday we just reassemble everything? That could buy us a few hours of spare time? :shrug:

You aren't going to remove the alternator and AC line are you? I wish you guys were closer, we'd definitely lend a hand.

The EGR is a PITA. I told Justin how to go about getting it off already.

Starting Friday night may be a good idea. That would leave you plenty of time to get things done.

Feel free to give me a ring if ya need anything.

Don't think you'll get done in one day with removing the AC line, the alternator, the serpentine belt and the coolant line. That's a lot of extra work. Plus, if the EGR pipe doesn't want to cooperate, that can hold you up a bit.

Ya'd better start early! Or, start Friday night as Scott suggested.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Back