• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wife's M5 gets Dixis Titanium Exhaust and H Pipe

gotapex

CEG'er
I just picked up the Dixis Titanium Exhaust and H pipe, used (1500 miles old).

The Dixis is 26.4 lbs. The band clamps (not included) are 1.1 lbs. The stock rubber hangers (reused) are 1.3 lbs. That's a total of 28.8 lbs. The stock exhaust is 79.8 lbs. That's a 51.0 lb difference between the Dixis and the stock system.

Here are some pictures.

Stock exhaust:

stock1.jpg

stock4.jpg

Stock neck-down:

stock2.jpg

stock3.jpg

Here's a look at the stock main cats attached to the headers, sometimes called the precats. They're metal matrix, but high cell-count:

stockprecat1.jpg

Here are the secondary cats, sometimes mistakenly called the main cats:

secondarycat2.jpg

secondarycat1.jpg

The first thing that had to be done is cutting the stock pipe. The pipe was cut, then the cut was smoothed, so that it doesn't impede exhaust flow.

polish1.jpg

Here's the Dixis titanium exhaust:

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

parts3.jpg

Close-up of the welds. With titanium, because it is so hard to bend, the shaper turns are welded, while the shallower ones are mandrel bent.

welds1.jpg

Single wall, flame treated dual tips, 80mm each:

dixistips1.jpg

Band clamps are used to connect the exhaust to the stock "section 1" pipes, since the diameters are exactly the same:

clamps1.jpg

It uses an H pipe balancing tube instead of an X pipe:

hpipe1.jpg

Here's another look at the tips on the car:

tips1.jpg

tips2.jpg

tips3.jpg

Sound wise, the exhaust is quieter than I expected for such small mufflers, especially with titanium.

Idle is a little louder than stock, though it has a fuller presence. There's absolutely NO drone at all, which is AWESOME. I cannot stand resonance at all, especially with a luxury oriented vehicle.

With low throttle, it's close to stock volumes inside the car, though a bit louder outside. Cruising is comfortable and quiet.

With the mid-throttle, you definitely hear more of the exhaust, though not a lot.

With heavy throttle, or with the throttle completely buried, you can definitely hear the exhaust. There's a far better balance between the induction noise, engine noise, and the exhaust note. At high RPM's, there's a smooth, ramped up scream. Surprisingly, it's not raspy at all, despite the removal of the resonator. There's no crackle or tinny sounding buzz to the exhaust note at all, just a building crescendo to redline.

Overall, I love it. I like how it's reasonably quiet still, because that allows me to increase the noise with headers or high flow cats. If it's too loud to begin with, swapping cats will make it unbearably loud.

Tell me your wife did the smokey burnout.....

Anyhow, slick ride! I like the tone too... it's almost Ferrari-esque.

Nah, if the wife did the burnout, she'd vaporize the tires clear through 2nd and well into 3rd. I was driving.

amazing!! no dinan?

No, I like the high pitch scream up high, it sounds more exotic, like a Ferrari or Carrera GT.

Dinan just gives you a low pitched sound all the way through the band.

Back