• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

good ol 0420, new exhaust or just mil

stalkersvt

CEG'er
i have the infamous 0420 code popping up, and i cant kill it even with a new o2 sensor. Should put some trubedz on it or just mil it?

i have the cash for the bendz if it will be the best route.

p0420 has to do with your exhaust manifolds. Wether they are failing or not, a trubendz anything isn't going to help you.

i thought the 0430 and 0420 were due to failing cat?

that is correct ... what is your milage? the pre-cats are covered under the federal emissions warrenty ... 8yrs/80k miles ...

but if you don't want to hassle you can get mil-eliminators for about $60 that plug right in or make some for like $10 ...

or you can get headers for $200 + coating + mil-eliminators and really enjoy your car

It has to do with the smaller catalytic converters in your exhaust manifolds. One code is for the front manifold and the other is for the rear. There is no monitoring of your main catalytic converter which is the one between the ypipe and catback.

that is correct ... what is your milage? the pre-cats are covered under the federal emissions warrenty ... 8yrs/80k miles ...

but if you don't want to hassle you can get mil-eliminators for about $60 that plug right in or make some for like $10 ...

or you can get headers for $200 + coating + mil-eliminators and really enjoy your car

1999 and has 74431 miles. how would i get this warrentied?

Bring it to any ford dealer. If it is indeed the precats, they will replace them free of charge under said warranty and waive the diagnostic fee. I just had it done last year. Is there any other code showing up along with it? I'd make sure I knew it was the precats failing before bringing it in. There are a couple of other problems that could trigger the code as well.

how can i make sure its the cats?

how can i make sure its the cats?

how can i make sure its the cats? i will take it in, but i dont want to get stuck with 100$ hookup if it isnt them. that was the only code showing up as of right now.

Had different code and it was o2 sensor. Then had the 0420 and threw in some injector cleaner and it hasnt come back on. If its under warranty then take it to the dealer.

Whoa, boys.

The 8/80 is from the "in service date". Your dealer can look this up.

Steve

That is correct.
Call the dealership, give them your VIN and ask what that date was.
Been there/done that. :)

That is correct.
Call the dealership, give them your VIN and ask what that date was.
Been there/done that. :)

Don't bring it in unless you know it is under warranty or you will be stuck with a one hour diagnostic charge which you have already been given here (free). Therefore, find out what the service date is first.

incase you go the mil eliminators route, here is the diagram and a pic (not my pics, but I think this stuff should be stickied somewhere if it isn't already)

mildiagramra0.png

milcomplete1qz1.jpg

I wonder if I should post this in the 20 or so p0420 threads going on right now:laugh:

FYI: Ford service shops don't honor any recall or warrenty's
you'll just be wasting time, mil eliminators are great if ya don't live in a bad weather area.

FYI: I think that's not really true. A bit over a year ago I had a ford shop replace my precats AND main cat just in case. They said it's standard procedure since it's not monitored, the shot precats could have ruined the main cat without any way to tell. All free and under the emissions warranty.

Although initially they tried charging me because they said it was 7yr/70k miles. I told him to check again and he came back and apologized. Great success!

FYI: Ford service shops don't honor any recall or warrenty's
you'll just be wasting time, mil eliminators are great if ya don't live in a bad weather area.

um, yeah ok ... its a FEDERAL EMISSIONS WARANTY they have to honor it ... there is a TSB saying so

I had the same issue when I brought mine in. P0420 The dealer said I need a Catalytic Converter for the firewall side. Mine is a 2000 CSVT with 61K the in service date is 5-12-01. I should be covered right? I also have the reciept from the Diagnotic Fee, this should be credited back. Right now im trying to see if the code it will come back. Can someone confirm that im covered?

I had the same issue when I brought mine in. P0420 The dealer said I need a Catalytic Converter for the firewall side. Mine is a 2000 CSVT with 61K the in service date is 5-12-01. I should be covered right? I also have the reciept from the Diagnotic Fee, this should be credited back. Right now im trying to see if the code it will come back. Can someone confirm that im covered?

Let's see, you're under 8 years in-service and below the 80K thrshold (unless you happen to be in California -7/70).

Do your math and call the dealership.

Steve

Well, from my experiance with my '99 SE V6, I battled with two dealers trying to get the cats replaced.
My last round was when they had my car for over a month trying to locate a intermintant problme, which turned out to be the PCM, done under warranty.
They did two O2 sensors aswell, and I had the other 2? done around a year prior under warranty aswell.
I said, considering the CEL codes kicking out pointed to the cats, and the car was acting like it had a plugged exhaust, the cats were bad.
then, at the last warranty trip the car had before the extented warranty expired, they said I needed all cats replaced, and darn it, 4K out of the federal warranty, and the quote I got, I about loaded my pants with the estimate.
I said, it was pretty conviant, they kept saying, no, cats are fine, they are fine, then 3 months later, they are all the sudden bad?
I still am holding a grudge over that.
I have been holding off, I have a set of manifolds I got from a fellow CEG'r, that I am going to install this summer. I should just do the msds headers with Mils and be done with it, but with my muscle car project, I'd rather just spend my fun time working on that instead.

Back