• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The "Why I need to stop procrastinating" thread.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
I'll start, I've needed a new serpentine belt, and probably a tensioner since back when I changed my Alternator. I think that was 3 months ago. A week or two ago, if I shifted quickly, the belt would squeal and slip. Now...my battery light comes on steadily. So, I'm going to hope to change the belt and tensioner tomorrow, and hope to god my Alternator isn't dead...again.

:nonono: :help: :shocked:
What took ya so long?

;)

:nonono: :help: :shocked:
What took ya so long?
;)

P9250012.jpg

It's really lazy.

Different, that's for sure.
:laugh:
Let me know how the install goes. It's not too bad of a job.

It's not too bad of a job.

Way to jinx me!

I have to buy a shallow internal torx socket, or a slim ratchet...or both. I took the motor mount off, and lifted it a bit, but the socket and wrench together are just a hair too big still.

Oops, sorry.
Did you try a 3/8" drive socket with a handle extension, a piece of pipe?

The tools I have on hand are too wide for what I need. After my appointment at the doctors, I'm getting my mother to run me back to the parts store to pick up a shorter bit or slim ratchet.

P9270024.jpg

Last edited:
AutoZone has a Serpentine belt tool that you can rent also.

I see you already got the belt off. The picture didn't load the first time.
Really, it shouldn't be difficult for you once you have the right tool for the job.

what you can try is put a box wrench on the allen bit, put bit into bolt on tensioner, use a long prybar against the frame to force the hex bit tightly into the bolt, using the wrench that is on the hex bit, loosen teh bolt. double wrench it if you have to.
also to hel prevent stripping of the hex bolt, apply continuous pressure to teh end of teh bit with the prybar.

Well. I got it done. Everything is nice and tight, and threaded the right way.

The god damn battery light is on steady now. Before, it was only flickering...now it won't go off. I guess I might have to try to drive over the mountain to see if my Alternator is failing again...****.

I have a new gator belt for my SVT sitting in the garage . I tried several ratchets/wrenches too & couldn't get it to work either . I guess it's off to AutoZone for me !

I don't understand , my tool worked for my '95 ... like a 10 minute job :shrug: .

I have a new gator belt for my SVT sitting in the garage . I tried several ratchets/wrenches too & couldn't get it to work either . I guess it's off to AutoZone for me !

I don't understand , my tool worked for my '95 ... like a 10 minute job :shrug: .

Well, I finally got it off by taking the motor mount bracket off completely. Jacked up the motor with a piece of 2x4 under the oil pan. Took a pair of lock pliars to the torx bolt edge, and it twisted right out. To get it back it,I took the required torx bit, a T40 for mine, and put a closed box wrench on the bit itself, I think mine took a 1/4 inch, and proceeded to tighten it on with that.

Since you're only changing the belt, do the part where you jack up the motor and take off the motor mount bracket. Was a breeze with a nice long 3/8 drive at that point.

Since you're only changing the belt, do the part where you jack up the motor and take off the motor mount bracket. Was a breeze with a nice long 3/8 drive at that point.

The problem I'm having is the fact that it won't fit between the tensioner and the car's frame (the 3/8 drive fit perfectly on my '95) . Hopefully the AutoZone tool is shallower & will fit , because I don't feel like shelling out $70-$80 for the tool from my Snap-on guy to use it one time on my SVT :blackeye: .

Well, when I jacked up the motor with the 2x4 on the oil pan, I fit a regular 3/8 drive on the tensioner without a problem, granted I had to take off the motor mount bracket so I could turn it clockwise to get the belt over the top pulley, but I still fit right on with the motor lifted.

So, it's a day or two later, so I thought I'd provide an update on how it's running with the new belt and tensioner on it.

It's not running. Thank god I found a back up ride to cart my ass to work. I'm pretty sure the Alt is working at less than optimal performance because the battery is slowly ldropping in volts when I'm driving, but the battery light isn't on. Occassionally it flickers if I get into a higher RPM over 4k, but it doesn't do it every time. I drove to work, and drove back. The light came on and it died 4 miles from the house. It took me 45 minutes to go 4 miles though. So I'm going to get the warranty honored and get a brand new one installed by a mechanic I know who works for cheap.

:cry: Bummer!
I was wondering how things were, wasn't expecting that though. :(
Keep us updated.

Back