• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So...I'll be moving to Ann Arbor, any aptmnt. ideas?

Stay the "F" away from Windlmere Appts.

No joke, take this man's advice seriously. Aside from nice rooms, your car will get seriously junked up. If not from the robbers, from the idiots who can't drive around there. Couple this with the place smelling like straight up fried rice and curry and the price tag, you can find a whole lot better.

A buddy of mine commuted from Belleville, which neighbors Ann Arbor. It's safer than Ypsi, and relatively inexpensive. However, it is kinda redneck-ish.

Either way, good luck! Ahh yes, and watch out for Brewer's towing in downtown. They'll rape your ass. :nonono:

damn, some parts dont sound too great there.....i was looking on craigslist and found some houses and a few in my price range. how do you respond to someones post on there? what parts of ypsi are nice?

The gated communities, and the ones close to EMU. Southside of ypsi is a no fly zone :cool:

Belleville isnt too far from ann arbor, and is pretty decent. Worldtour used to live out there.

for renting houses, livonia (as stazi said) is probably your best bet

Luke - quit looking at Ypsi SERIOUSLY - it's a **** hole! No dancing around "oh but this street/sub is ok". I foolishly looked at buyin g in Ypsi and after 5 minutes in there I skedaddled.

Honestly, The Plymouth (little more expensiv), Livonia and Canton areas are the way to go. Like I said you can BUY a house in these areas, especially Livonia, for the price you'll pay to RENT a shoebox in AA.

Don't get me wrong AA rocks - but screw trying to set up house there on a single wage.

Pud's folks are established so his view point on living there are skewed.

Try getting into a house around campus on your own and you'll be buying a lean-to.

Luke - quit looking at Ypsi SERIOUSLY - it's a **** hole! No dancing around "oh but this street/sub is ok". I foolishly looked at buyin g in Ypsi and after 5 minutes in there I skedaddled.

Honestly, The Plymouth (little more expensiv), Livonia and Canton areas are the way to go. Like I said you can BUY a house in these areas, especially Livonia, for the price you'll pay to RENT a shoebox in AA.

Don't get me wrong AA rocks - but screw trying to set up house there on a single wage.

Try getting into a house around campus on your own and you'll be buying a lean-to.

I 100% agree with Stazi, I am only living here next year then I think I am going to find an apartment in a neighboring town and commute to classes. Ypsi is an awful place to live, there was a shoot out just down the street from campus the other day... I thought I heard fireworks outside, guess I was wrong.

I 100% agree with Stazi, I am only living here next year then I think I am going to find an apartment in a neighboring town and commute to classes. Ypsi is an awful place to live, there was a shoot out just down the street from campus the other day... I thought I heard fireworks outside, guess I was wrong.
Agreed! the only reason I could afford to live where I did was because my parents supported me. Ypsi is a **** hole.

Listen to Stazi, he is familiar with the area and all that good stuff!

This is true, youll end up paying 1100 for a 2 bedroom in a nice complex. Ive been living in my parents house for the last 2 years they were out of the country, but ive managed to find a 3 br duplex for just shy of 1000 downtown. we'll see how it pans out

But stazi is right, finding a neighboring city like livonia which is not much of a drive is a good idea. Christ, both my parents used to commute to dearborne / southfield from ann arbor everyday :)

Just to back up what others have mentioned. I lived in downtown (off campus) for two years (two different apts.). On both I paid around $320/month. It was a two bedroom apt and we had 4 guys living in there (Was $1200/month). It sucked, both places were shi%holes, but we were all broke :shrug: .

Like Stazi said, Canton and Plymouth are pretty good places to look at it. If you don't mind commuting, then take a look at Livonia, Walled Lake etc.

Man, I'm commuting from F. Hills to AA everyday. :blackeye: (Though I'm saving a ton of loot living w/the parents! :cool:)

Livonia is a great place - best PD in the US. Plus I live here!

Thats why stazi needs lots of guns:laugh:

Livonia is a great city. No complaints.

IF i was in your situation luke. I would look into living in dexter area instead of AA. Its alot cheaper and its 5-10 mins away.

Last edited:
sweet, thanx guys. ill check out houses in dexter, livonia, canton, and plymouth and see what i find. if anyone finds anything anywhere please let me know. or if you know of any good places to look for houses for rent. i will most likely only be there for a year so i just want something nice with a garage and not too expensive. plus, i might not be living alone so we will see. thanx for the info and keep it coming if you got more. ill chime back after i look and see whats out there and see what you guys think. thanx again

if you are going to spend them much on rent you mide as well just buy a house. Unless you dont plan to live in this area 7 years or more.

as for the Ypsi rental houses, that first one looks extremely nice for that price, but I find it discomforting that they dont list an address anywhere, there are a few decent areas in Ypsilanti, but I really would suggest sticking to areas like Westland/Plymouth/Livonia/Canton (maybe)

I have a friend from Westland, she says its a fairly low crime area that has a low cost of living.

Last edited:
lol, i only plan on being there a year. thats how long training is. but id much rather get into a house with a garage instead of living in an apartment.

if you are going to spend them much on rent you mide as well just buy a house. Unless you dont plan to live in this area 7 years or more.

as for the Ypsi rental houses, that first one looks extremely nice for that price, but I find it discomforting that they dont list an address anywhere, there are a few decent areas in Ypsilanti, but I really would suggest sticking to areas like Westland/Plymouth/Livonia/Canton (maybe)

I have a friend from Westland, she says its a fairly low crime area that has a low cost of living.

1100 =/= mortgage payment + taxes + +++++

Dont be stupid jared.

Investments are good, but you cant compare paying 1100 a month for a year or two or three even to ploping down 150 thousand ++ on a house, not to mention upkeep and everything else.

I tell you what, 'house sitting' (and i use that lightly because ive been treating it like my bachelor pad) for my parents for the last 2 years while they were overseas has really opend my eyes. Owning a house is a big undertaking, with upkeep and all that other ****.

That is why i would just get a condo for a few years.

Hey Luke get a condo rental in canton. There are tons in that area, and canton is like 20 Min's from AA.

Decent area also.

I remember seeing a great 2 floor condo with garage for 900 a month. No cutting lawn plowing nothing. Sit back and relax.

Back