• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

why hide it.

Pugulis

CEG'er
I have a strange question. I've notice something not only on this site, but many others as well. It seems that many people, when showing pics of their car, will either remove or blur their license plate. This has always seemed strange to me. After all, it's not a secret. You drive down the road and thousand of people see your plate. It's like when I've seen people reluctant to say what their vin number is. It's not like either one of these is private. I don't mean to insult anyone who does this, I'm just curious.

I see it in the sense that it's a way to locate someone. If you have valuable possessions in your house or car, and you willingly post your license plate...someone can locate your car/residence based on that little bit of info and you could be fairly screwed.

Exactly what Pen Two said. It makes it very easy for a potential thief to locate exactly what he is looking for. Go "shopping" on the car forums for a car that has what you need, run the plate, and bam. The only way it could be easier is if the owner would take the parts of for them and deliver them to the thief.
Blurring out the plate doesn't suddenly make you immune to thieves, it just keeps you from making it super easy for them.

Exactly what Pen Two said. It makes it very easy for a potential thief to locate exactly what he is looking for. Go "shopping" on the car forums for a car that has what you need, run the plate, and bam. The only way it could be easier is if the owner would take the parts of for them and deliver them to the thief.
Blurring out the plate doesn't suddenly make you immune to thieves, it just keeps you from making it super easy for them.

I know I'm beating the dead donkey already... but my 2 cents is that some people have car domain or sound domain linked accounts, which display their interior prizes even more.... these sites are like isles at the super market for thieves.... Just kinda of a small precaution to save a lot of worrying, that's all....

I think there have been one or two cases where this has actually happened, even. Someone's car got targeted and it ended up being the case that the perps got the license plate number off the internet.

Yea, people are lame. Not everyone, but some. Over on Xceed on more than one occasion someone has used that forum for that exact reason. there was a guy that had a built and super clean show quality honda, only to come out and his car was literally a shell. Thieves suck, I mean come on people, get your head out of your asses.

Insurance & warranties, also

Insurance & warranties, also

Insurance companies and manufacturers (Subaru I know for sure) have been known to cancel policies/warranties if you auto-x or track your car.

Insurance companies and manufacturers (Subaru I know for sure) have been known to cancel policies/warranties if you auto-x or track your car.

So you're saying people censor their license plates so their insurance companies don't see their track pics on the internet?

I have not heard of insurance companies cancelling policies because of that and I don't think anyone does it because of that. I reckon it's the gettin your stuff stolen reason. I post my license plate though I ain't got nothin to steal.

That, and I already know what you have, and when I plan on stealing it, I will probably call you up first.

I have not heard of insurance companies cancelling policies because of that and I don't think anyone does it because of that. I reckon it's the gettin your stuff stolen reason. I post my license plate though I ain't got nothin to steal.

Mitsubishi went around cancelling/voiding warranties on Evo owners that ran thier cars at track events for awhile. never heard of an insurance company doing it though.

Mitsubishi went around cancelling/voiding warranties on Evo owners that ran thier cars at track events for awhile. never heard of an insurance company doing it though.

I have heard about that. The dealership was telling us about that when my moms Galant went in for an oil change.

That week they had denied someone warranty engine replacement because they found out the car had been raced.

I have heard about that. The dealership was telling us about that when my moms Galant went in for an oil change.

That week they had denied someone warranty engine replacement because they found out the car had been raced.

And Mitsubishi was expecting EVO owners to not race??? That's laughable... or maybe they planned it that way so they could screw them.... That BS... that car was made to Auto-x and race if you ask me...

As for the whole liscense plate thing... I have security... and nothing to steal... but I still remove it anyways... I just get worried about leaving it out there in the open.... Some places you can pull a police record with a plate... not that I have anything on mine anyways.... Sucks for the chick I used to date though.... her dad was Unmarked State Patrol.... and he checks their **** all the time to see if they've gotten tickets and not told him :laugh:! Which I'm sure he ran my plates a time or two.... ass....

I've heard about the manufacturer canceling the warranties on the EVO's. Its built to race. That is kinda like if ford canceled warranties for racing the the SVT meets. Doesn't SVT set up track days for people that buy them off the floor if they want to go?

Ford is one of the few who has not voided the warrante because of raceing. There were law suits against GM because they were useing the computer to moniter the highest speed (and MAYBE G forces, not sure) the car had been driven and how often and then voiding the warrante on Vettes.

As far as VIN's, my son's car has been on E-bay twice because someone got the VIN and pics off the web.

I went to a customers place last year in Baltimore and while I'm working on her car some guy walks right up to my truck and starts writing the VIN down to it. I'm standing only 30 feet away. He only stopped writing when I put my hand over the VIN and made him finaly talk to me. After a few words with the guy, the customer comes out of her house (FBI by the way) to see what was going on and to make sure I'm ok and the guy finally gives me the paper he was writing on and leaves. \

I now cover the VINs to my vehicles.

Back