• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Car

Slightly OT:

GENEVA -- Nissan Motor Co. has suspended development of its heavy-duty pickup and may scrap the program.

It also will abandon some of its body-on-frame SUVs, replacing them with lighter, more fuel-efficient crossovers when those SUVs are scheduled to be replaced. The Infiniti QX56 and the Nissan Pathfinder and Armada use body-on-frame construction.

"Not all but part of the SUVs are going to shift to monoque, unibody," Carlos Tavares, Nissan's product development boss, said in an interview at the auto show here. No timetable was given.

"We suspended our heavy-duty truck program because, from a business perspective, we thought that the risk was too high," Tavares said.

Sales of heavy-duty versions of the next-generation Titan truck platform were to begin in 2009 or 2010. Three-quarter and one-ton models were slated, say supplier sources.

A heavy-duty pickup requires a dedicated frame, suspension and transmission to handle higher weight loads, Tavares said. A diesel engine would be mandatory.

"If the market is so-so, you could lose a lot of money," he said. "There are a lot of places in the world where we can spend our money."

Maybe, Tavares said, "we don't have to do that one." No timetable was given for a decision.

Toyota had been expected to launch a heavy-duty pickup in 2009, using a vehicle developed by its Hino Motors Ltd. affiliate. But suppliers say the project has been halted indefinitely.

I agree. Full-size trucks are a whole different ballgame. American mid-sizes suck compared to the Jap offerings, plain and simple. Look at side by side comparisons and reviews, Japs own the mid-size market. If you want to remain ignorant to that fact and buy less truck, be my guest.

Im not surprized that Nissan is hesitant in entering the HD truck market. One, its got extremely popular entrants already. Two, the cost of development seems to be very high for them. Three, its probably a declining market. Not worth investing in a market that is going to shrink rapidly as gas continues to climb (dont kid yourself, its only going to get worse). Doesnt seem all that appealing to me, either.

Nice. WAY better than the ridgeline. I don't like the front end and prefer the tacoma over it, but it ain't bad at all. I think you made the right decision.

Sorry bout that guys I left my computer on at school and one of my friends who is a big American guy posted that. Although I agree with some of what he said yeah some Jap trucks are alright except full size. Moral of this post is: Don't leave the computer on in a public place where people can post thier idiot things they may say. Hope you all learn from my mistake.

I don't see the heavy duty market shrinking any time soon. These trucks are marketed to a completely different set of people. I have a customer that buys 2-3 F550s a year. He's in the construction business. Companies will always have a need for a heavier truck. Mine's a one ton. I could get by most of the time with a half or three-quarter, but there are many times I've needed, and been glad I had, a one ton.

Personally, I think it would take a minimum of 5-10 years for the "imports" to build up a following big enough to justify entry into this market, maybe longer. There is a mindset here that an import truck just isn't/can't be built tough enough to take the punishment they would receive. On top of that, even their "full-size" offerings are smaller than a comparable domestic, both inside and out. Extrapolating that further, the imports don't seem able or willing to produce the many variants we want to purchase. Even DCX is behind Ford and GM in this regard. Their 4 door is really nothing more than a stretched extended cab. So rear legroom is tight. And if you get the full 4 door Mega Cab, you loose bed length. I've got a full 4 doors w/ tons of legroom in the back, and a full 8 ft. bed. Only GM and Ford fill that niche, and it looks like they'll be the only ones doing it for the foreseeable future. And on a side note, I love driving a 22 ft. long vehicle. :D

Oh and by the way since I forgot to post it before, I don't limit myself to one brand not by a long shot. There are somethings yeah I will buy only one brand in but My favorite truck is Chevrolet Silverado favorite car Ferrari F-50, yes foreign but looks darn good and is fast too, favorite snowmobile Yamaha also foreign and favorite regular car is anything american, cept dodge, and that include a lot right there. So to say I limit myself to one brand is just plain wrong like saying ricers are cool. Haha I know I'm gonna catch some for that but my opinion.

Sorry bout that guys I left my computer on at school and one of my friends who is a big American guy posted that. Although I agree with some of what he said yeah some Jap trucks are alright except full size. Moral of this post is: Don't leave the computer on in a public place where people can post thier idiot things they may say. Hope you all learn from my mistake.

Tell your redneck friend hes a douche bag, and that his dads GMC sucks balls.

Great choice Chris! I really like it! I definitely prefer it over the Honda (still was a good option though).

side note: I can't believe the number of ignorant Rednecks around here lately!

the Ranger is supposed to be a damn good midsize truck. unfortunately it needs updating quite badly. in power, style, and configurations.

the GM models suck ass. the 5 banger motor is anemic and was a BAD decision that made no sense in any way, shape or form.

the Dodge is, well, a Dodge... V8 though...

the Ridgeline is more cutesy imo. seems very yuppyish.

Toyotas are way overpriced

The new Frontiers seems to be the best choice in this category. good looks, good power, good reliability. do they still offer the s/c version?

*let me know when youre ready for some 26s for that beyotch! :laugh:

No s/c version. The s/c was a quick fix some years ago to try to help an under powered motor. Thats not a problem anymore.

This engine is the same block as the 3.5L thats so popular, but with a longer stroke for 4L. I have noticed Stillen offers a nice twin screw for this setup :drool:

The biggest rim going on this truck is 17" ;)

This motor will be dead by 09. They realized it was a mistake and are correcting it. The 4.2L will also be dead.

well in that case there may be potential. if they put a good motor in it then it will definitely be up there. as far as looks go i think the colorado/canyons look really good. especially the sport models. i have no idea how the interior is or how they drive though.

Tell your redneck friend hes a douche bag, and that his dads GMC sucks balls.

Hey his GMC definatly does not suck balls. I will agree with him that it will school that thing no prob. As for the redneck thing yeah round here we all are pretty much hicks and hillbilly-ish but hes not a douche bag either in fact you're the douche bag for saying his dads GMC sucks balls douche bag. Our trucks here are made for pulling and mudding and going through fields on a Saturday night, thats right we go through fields when there is a good foot foot and a half of snow on the ground and don't get stuck and we plow through them ditches no problem. Think about that and say it sucks balls bet ya cant.:laugh:

/\
More retards, yeah. I smell 96's friend......

Did you tell your dad his GMC sucks balls yet?

Oh just to let ya know I'm the only one from my school that is a member of this website and none of my friends go on here cause they don't like contours and no my dad's GMC doesn't suck balls douche bag.

Pudmunkie said:
/\
More retards, yeah. I smell 96's friend.....

Sorry bout that guys I left my computer on at school and one of my friends who is a big American guy posted that.

So it was actually your friend then which makes your last comment moot?

I can't imagine why your friends WOULD register on here if they have never liked or owned a contour or something similar.

Back