• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stalling going around turns.

fordman302

Hard-core CEG'er
Well i noticed today when i go around a turn in first gear and im coming out of the turn and i get on the gas alittle bit it wont go over 3K or soo and speedo goes nuts and just hops back and forth for alittle while till i let off the gas..Gas light comes on gas gauge goes down alittle.then i pull into the driveway turn it off and turn the ignition back on gas gauge goes back to normal..I dont have any problem with getting on the gas in lets say a 45MPH roll and go its fine no stalling or hesitation.I researched the Old Forums..Couldnt find nothing relateing to my problem..I had a CEL code p0112.I replaced the Sensor in the Intake pipe i believe its the IAT sensor..I just cleaned the IAC it didnt look that bad...Any help anyone??..Theres a LSD in the trans now dunno if that would do it i dont think it would..

I'll try to help, I'm going to throw some questions and things to try/check.

1st how much gas did it have in the tank?

2nd how fast around the turn did you go and was it a sharp turn?

3rd you did say it wouldn't go over 3k being rpm and the speedo was going craszy? This part sounds like a speed sensor in the transmission. Was it jerking alot? Maybe IMRC (I think thats the letters) controll for the secondary or linkage.

4th did you go threw water right around the time it happen or not too long before?

I would fill it up with a full tank and try the turn again maybe it was low and the gas moved to one side (not really likely though). But this wouldn't make the speedo go crazy. I would check the connections at the sensors and computer just to make sure they r seated, even more so if anything major has been done that would take removing the engine and transmission.

There a half tank of gas in car i would come to the turn maybe 15mph or so i think in first gear and comeing outta the turn i got on the gas Flooring it and thats when it started..Yes it was jerking alot becasue it wouldnt go anywhere..I replaced the IAT sensor and cleaned my IAC valve..Now before i did this when i would go arounda turn and get on it it would go nut and my check engine light would come on P0112.I just went around my block doing the same thing again and didnt happen maybe i didnt get on it enough im not sure..It really weird i just wanted to see if i can fix it before i take it out on the highway and go to the next FL meet.

There a half tank of gas in car i would come to the turn maybe 15mph or so i think in first gear and comeing outta the turn i got on the gas Flooring it and thats when it started..Yes it was jerking alot becasue it wouldnt go anywhere..I replaced the IAT sensor and cleaned my IAC valve..Now before i did this when i would go arounda turn and get on it it would go nut and my check engine light would come on P0112.I just went around my block doing the same thing again and didnt happen maybe i didnt get on it enough im not sure..It really weird i just wanted to see if i can fix it before i take it out on the highway and go to the next FL meet.

p0112 is the IAT, that should be all set now. When is the last time the fuel filter has been done (just going for easy stuff first) but still that shouldn't send the gauge going crazy either speedo or gas. Maybe lift the rearseat and pop the access cover to make sure the plug and wires r ok to the sender. I think this is a module type sender and pump which doesn't have a float for the gauge. The filter or the tank could have some water, water tends to sink to the bottom of the tank, you might of got a good gulp of it in the turn. Try to run the tank down before your next fill up. Also you might want to run it on the highway if it hasn't in sometime to see how it reacts or if it will throw a code. I understand the fear in it breaking down at the wrong time, but you'll have no problem finding the problem :)

Last edited:
Last time i took it to get the oil changed 3K ago they looked at the filter and it checked out fine gas ran threw perfect..Its just weird tho never did it before and now after getting the trans and LSD installed it does this..I should go hit the highway and see what happens but before that i need to get the wheels aligned. Steering wheel is sitting to the left alot..

Last time i took it to get the oil changed 3K ago they looked at the filter and it checked out fine gas ran threw perfect..Its just weird tho never did it before and now after getting the trans and LSD installed it does this..I should go hit the highway and see what happens but before that i need to get the wheels aligned. Steering wheel is sitting to the left alot..

How many miles on the car? I would replace the filter anyway if you have no record of the last one. Just to rule it out and it's cheap and easy to do your self, and safe if you depressure the system first.

Did a shop do the install? I would check with them, if they r good they should be willing to at the min check over connections. There is a chance maybe the computer harness is loose or a connector to a sensor or some sensors.

How many miles on the car? I would replace the filter anyway if you have no record of the last one. Just to rule it out and it's cheap and easy to do your self, and safe if you depressure the system first.

Did a shop do the install? I would check with them, if they r good they should be willing to at the min check over connections. There is a chance maybe the computer harness is loose or a connector to a sensor or some sensors.

Just went to the car wash came back didnt do it..You think a PCV line would do it...I dont think it would i think it would make the car stall at idle..I noticed it was off after taking a peek under the hood and cleaning the IAC..But i might have knocked it outta the inlet pipe.

Just went to the car wash came back didnt do it..You think a PCV line would do it...I dont think it would i think it would make the car stall at idle..I noticed it was off after taking a peek under the hood and cleaning the IAC..But i might have knocked it outta the inlet pipe.

It could cause power problems, because it's sucking air in pass the MAF, so the computer doesn't get to see it that air coming in and start mixing the wrong air/fuel ratio. But yes usally they don't idle too good either or die while idle.

Well i just got to my buddys house as i was driving i did kinda a hard launch nothing to break the tires loose..Did it again..Very weird problem..Only on take off under hard acceleration and in first gear.

Could anybody here please help me..I just replaced the IAC thinking that might have been the problem..But it wasnt..this stalling bucking happens at hard take off/going around turns and getting on it..Any ideas..Please...Thanks..Joe..

Check your coilpack, plugs and wires, while you are investigating.

Yeah i run Bosch +4 in it about 8K old or soo i know i need to replace with Autolite/Motorcraft..Same thing..How do you reccomend i check the Coilpack..Plug wires are Accel not that old..Car runs fine from 3k-4K in first gear getting on the gas hard..Just happens when i wanna take off hard..

Sounds like a tranny speed sensor.
I have seen these symptoms in other cars I have had.
No problems once you are up and going at speed, but getting there is a PITA.
One time it was a "turbine input speed sensor", the other it was a "turbine speed output sensor"... both on the tranny.
That, of course was not a Contour, nor even a Ford, but I would put my $$ on some sort of tranny speed sensor... Go back to the shop and tell them about it.
Wasn't doing it before the new tranny. It is doing it now... They should be willing to take a look, if they are a decent shop.

Yeah there a good shop and will do whatever i want them too..The place my mom works at does over 30K a month of work with them..Tranie speed sensor you think would have somthing to do with hard acceleration?

The CSVT has a MTX. And the MTX does not have a Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor (aka Input Speed Sensor). The TSS is for an ATX.

For the VSS-Vehicle Speed Sensor (aka Output Speed Sensor), IIRC, it does not affect driveability for the MTX if it breaks down. It will just not register any speed.

Both VSS and TSS are critical for proper functioning of an ATX.

Yeah i run Bosch +4 in it about 8K old or soo i know i need to replace with Autolite/Motorcraft..Same thing..How do you reccomend i check the Coilpack..Plug wires are Accel not that old..Car runs fine from 3k-4K in first gear getting on the gas hard..Just happens when i wanna take off hard..

Hey tony any suggestions on what it might be

There is probably a CEL code (or pending code). Get it read and post the code(s).

Autozonelink for testing coil pack.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/02/0900823d801bc402.jsp

SP gap is 0.054. Make sure sp wires are inserted well at both ends.

Remove WP pulley shield and see if it helps. If it does, IMRC is about to go. Relocate or plan to change the transistor. How-to in Duratec Maintenance-Read First.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41

I definately take it back to the mechanic that installed the trans. It sounds like something is lose or not seated properly. Get him/her to look at it first before you go tinkering with it. Mechanic shops are usually good with an installation warranty.

The CSVT has a MTX. And the MTX does not have a Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor (aka Input Speed Sensor). The TSS is for an ATX.

For the VSS-Vehicle Speed Sensor (aka Output Speed Sensor), IIRC, it does not affect driveability for the MTX if it breaks down. It will just not register any speed.

Both VSS and TSS are critical for proper functioning of an ATX.

Tony, thanks for clarifying that.
That car was an automatic. I just put the problems it had with the symptoms it / joe had.

Good stuff to know in the future....

Back