• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Almost There

mystiquevltwin

Hard-core CEG'er
So over the past few days, I've been painting my fender. The car is slowly coming back together.

For those that don't remember, I had a little accident back in December... http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=23191

This paint job was done entirely by rattle cans, and has many MANY layers. It was also my first attempt at painting a body panel and buffing it. I am extremely happy at how well this came out. :)

The color is right on, the photos make it a little darker.
On to the photos...
Started out on a Contour GL...blue
IMG_7743.jpg

A little paint and a little sanding
IMG_7751.jpg

Some clear
IMG_7752.jpg

A little buffing
IMG_7760.jpg

Final...all cleaned up
IMG_7766.jpg

Damn, looks very professional. Did you use and actual paintgun or a rattle can matched to the color? Now you just need to find whatever goes in that hole and you'll be all set. Good job dude. :laugh:

Damn, looks very professional. Did you use and actual paintgun or a rattle can matched to the color? Now you just need to find whatever goes in that hole and you'll be all set. Good job dude. :laugh:

rattle can matched to the color. I have audi a6 side markers for the holes, I just wanted to wait a little before i go and put them in. Thanks :)

Damn dude, I thought at first :nonono: Ohh no he is gonna rattle can it and its gonna look like crap. You suprised the hell out of me, you got skills dude.

Damn dude, I thought at first :nonono: Ohh no he is gonna rattle can it and its gonna look like crap. You suprised the hell out of me, you got skills dude.

Thanks man. I surprised me! I figured I'd try it, save a little money this way and if I screw it up, I can just take it to a body shop, but it turned out 100 times better than I expected. Next I'm tackling the bumper :laugh:

Thanks man. I surprised me! I figured I'd try it, save a little money this way and if I screw it up, I can just take it to a body shop, but it turned out 100 times better than I expected. Next I'm tackling the bumper :laugh:

Plastic may be a little harder. I have perfected my plastic rattle can skills, but it took me quite a few tries on donor pieces from the bone yard. Either way give it a shot, if it dosent work ohh well, take it and have it done.

damn dude looks good. how many coats of clear did you put on before you wetsanded and buffed it? i used two cans worth of clear on my fender,came out great..well,the shine did,the duplicolor "silverfrost" is a tad darker,and doesnt have the same metallic as the oem silverfrost does:shrug:

i hate you guys i've tried rattle cans many times and can never get a good finish out of it. Half the time TRed doesn't even come out to be the right color :cry:

real nice Kev. Did you get Duplicolor type color match or did you go somewhere and get it professionally matched?

i hate you guys i've tried rattle cans many times and can never get a good finish out of it. Half the time TRed doesn't even come out to be the right color :cry:

i used it on my headlights..inside and eyelids...and even that little of an area came out a perfect match, and it had runs in it!---NEVER RATTLE CAN IF IT IS HUMID OUT!!!! trust me it will run and orange peel every f'n time!!

damn dude looks good. how many coats of clear did you put on before you wetsanded and buffed it? i used two cans worth of clear on my fender,came out great..well,the shine did,the duplicolor "silverfrost" is a tad darker,and doesnt have the same metallic as the oem silverfrost does:shrug:

I used about 3 cans of T-Red, and about 3 cans of clear. Light coats of course.

real nice Kev. Did you get Duplicolor type color match or did you go somewhere and get it professionally matched?

Its Duplicolor from Pep Boys. I've used it before and its always been a 99% match.

I'm impressed! I would hope you thought far enough ahead to open that hole up a little before you painted. Looks damn good!

Actually, I shaved down the side markers so I didn't have to open up the holes.

Thanks for the compliments!

i used it on my headlights..inside and eyelids...and even that little of an area came out a perfect match, and it had runs in it!---NEVER RATTLE CAN IF IT IS HUMID OUT!!!! trust me it will run and orange peel every f'n time!!
that must've been it.. i actually remember it being humid. even wet sanding didnt help :cry:

Actually, I shaved down the side markers so I didn't have to open up the holes.
I did the same, but I got worried about the thinness of the plastic at that point. I eased the hole open to help it fit better. Damn...that's a DIRTY sounding sentence! :laugh:
i even did my second one inside the house..that didn't even help! orange peel!
That is more a mark of painting w/ aerosol spray paint than a symptom of humidity or painting conditions. About the only way to lessen the orange peel effect is many VERY light coats with sufficient drying time between coats. Even then, you still get some peel. I have no proof of this, but I suspect it is because the plastic spray nozzle doesn't atomize the paint into small enough particles.

i will try that next time, but i have had no probs with a rattle can before..lucky with that i guess. I recently made a bass guitar for my girlfreind's birthday, the paint on it came out awsome, other than some minor dents in the back from when i dropped it:nonono:, it looks professional!

rattle can paint can look every bit as good as professional paint out of a paint gun.

all it takes is the proper prep work and wetsanding between layers, Kevin, that paint job looks amazing, you should be patting yourself on the back right now man.

Kevin, looks great. :cool: Does this mean you can come to the next cruise we make it to???:laugh:

Haha...we'll see. The last time I had the car in there, I got hassled by about 5 different car cruise officials, so I doubt it will be in any time soon again. I will come to the shows though and drool over your SVT :)

rattle can paint can look every bit as good as professional paint out of a paint gun.

all it takes is the proper prep work and wetsanding between layers, Kevin, that paint job looks amazing, you should be patting yourself on the back right now man.

It really turned out so much better than I had ever imagined a rattle can could. This being my first attempt at a large area, I am very pleased :cool:

Back