• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PRT Destruction *WARNING: Graphic Mirko Death Inside*

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
This happened a little bit ago, but I hadn't had a chance to take pics. Long story short:

I had to take a low driveway, and couldn't get a decent angle due to oncoming traffic. What I didn't see was that there was a slight dip before the driveway. Skidplate caught, got ripped under and bent, taking a good deal of Mirko with it. I pull through, and the plate is stuck under the car - had to jack it up to remove it.

If anyone's ever wondered about the strength of the DZUS, lemme just say this: they're stronger than the Mirko itself, as the lip was still attached after having huge pieces torn out of the underside.

Onto the pics. Skidplate:

DSCN4913.jpg

DSCN4914.jpg

Mirko:

DSCN4915.jpg

DSCN4918.jpg

DSCN4916.jpg

DSCN4917.jpg

DSCN4921.jpg

DSCN4920.jpg

DSCN4919.jpg

Addendum: I should add that the skidplate is a GREAT product, and the results prolly would have been worse without it. Definately pick it up if you have a Mirko.

wow. Is the rest of your car okay? Rims etc.

Man those pics scares the crap out of me. Makes me want to order a plate for mine.

Car's ok - the "incident" happened at about 5 mph. There are holes in the front bumper from where the lip was mounted, though, and it slightly tweaked the bumper; basically, if you look really close at the passenger side wheel well, you can see it sticks out a little further than the other side.

I owned it for like, 2.5 years. It was on the car for less than 3 weeks. Baby, indeed.

The worst part is you didnt realize what the damage would be until you stepped out. Where were you driving to? (reason for asking: if you were pulling into chilis and people were outside I could see the OHH faces) Is the baby going to the doctor?

Just a big shopping center parking lot. I knew it was bad when I heard the skidplate scraping under the car...

I'm not sure what's gonna happen. At this point, it may need to be euthanized, though a handful of people seem interested in it.

You should let the shopping center know their entrance sucks. Tell them to get it fix asap or you and all your friends *wink* with lowered cars can't get in to spend money! :laugh:

Sorry to see the mirko in that shape though.

Ouch! Looks like the skid plate did more damage than good. Hope you can fix it up and get it back on the car. :)

You might have had a scrape or a small chip missing if there was no skid plate. Just wierd conditions I guess. I would still bet the skid plate helps more than it hurts..... ouch.

If anyone's ever wondered about the strength of the DZUS, lemme just say this: they're stronger than the Mirko itself, as the lip was still attached after having huge pieces torn out of the underside.

I dont know about that, I was driving down the road a few weeks ago and hit a small pothole cause the idiot driver next to me swerved in my lane and my DZUS bolt broke and nothing else,, the mirko was perfectly fine just the bolt snapped out. I got a pack of 10 from speedway motors for $19.99 and was fixed in 5 minuites:cool:

:mad:

:mad:

WOW:mad:
How about a little NSFW on the title! I'm at school and the people behind me started freaking out and called the professor over, almost lost my privileges.

Sorry about the destruction man, hope it can be cured!

looks like you were trying to drive straight in based on how the skid plate curled so evenly on both sides.... :nonono:

looks like you were trying to drive straight in based on how the skid plate curled so evenly on both sides.... :nonono:

How astoundingly presumptuous of you!

But no, you would be wrong. I'm actually fairly adept at angling the car when it comes to driveways - as I said in the very first post, I couldn't get enough angle, but it wasn't a straight-in entrance by any means.

If you're so scientific in your analysis, you should probably notice that one side is curled almost an entire revolution more than the other. But thanks for playing.

:laugh: I was just trying to make light of the subject. :laugh: I can't imagine what that would feel like to have so much into a mirko, being ever so careful, and then have to listen to it being dragged under the car. :eek: It gives me shivvers up my spine. I have had a couple doozies, but what happened to yours would probably make me cry.... Do you plan on putting a mirko back on again?

I would hope he wouldnt, I had my 1 mishap and I wont ever drive with it on again, you never know whats in the road ahead, throw it in the trunk and when you get to a show or meet throw it on.

Back