• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Port Matching

Teal4Banger

CEG'er
I'm going to be having my head ported and polished. My question is: Would it be better to have the intake and exhaust manifolds port matched to the ported head, or would it be better to get an after market header and performance intake manifold?

Thanks.

so it looks like your going to have to mod a focus manifold.

so it looks like your going to have to mod a focus manifold.

Hmm... good to know :eek: ... moving on.. what kinda hp increase could I expect from porting the head alone? Anyone done this? I saw the sticky post with a performance head on a focus, but I'm assuming there will be some small differences on the 96 contour zetec. I'm also assuming that porting is very generic as it can be ported different amounts.

Thanks. :help:

Honestly for the amount of time and money its going to take to port the heads, install larger valves, and flow test it, you might as well just go buy an FRPP head, and focus cams and lifters.

as for the manifolds: the pre98 intake manifold is the best STOCK flowing manifold made for the zetec. however its not the greatest design. but if you go with the FRPP head you might as well then get the matching intake manifold (which BTW i dont think they make anymore so good luck finding one) and 65/70mm TB. then you need to make a custom 4-2-1 exhaust manifold that will work with our oil pans. if you want it to actually work you have get it professionally designed and made so that it scavenges the exhaust out of the cylinders ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

so for a few thousand dollars you MIGHT get to 200BHP. or you can convince me to build you a turbo kit like mine for about $3000-3500 and get 200+WHP:D

also the ATX isnt going to like either option very much

Assuming I go with a focus head, will it bolt right up, or are there some modifications that need to be made. Will the stock exhaust manifold fit a focus head?

well, in theory the stock manifolds should bolt up to the head. the head itself should also bolt right up to the zetec block but you will HAVE to get focus cams and lifters.

i am using a focus head gasket on my turbo zetec right now so i know all the holes are the same. also get a set of ARP head studs and a cometic head gasket from Karl at massive speed system.

edit: actually you can get everything from him.

Double Edit: looking at the FRPP head on his website the exhaust ports look like they are the same shape as ours so you shouldnt have any problems with the exhaust manifold.

Last edited:
I took a look around the site and found the head and cams that I'd need. Assuming I go with them, is there anything specifically that I should watch out for when installing them? Will my timing be affected at all (the reason I ask is I vagly remember reading something about teath on a pully from the cams controlling timing - I'm probably way of on this)

Also, do you know how much bhp or whp I can safely put through the atx?I don't want to go overboard and regret it.

Thanks again.

if your talking about ignition timing its controlled by a tooth that sticks off (like a cam lobe almost) the back end of the intake camshaft. if the cams are timed with the crankshaft then the ignition timing will be right. also, i already said it earlier but, i would suggest get the ARP head studs and a cometic head gasket (stock thickness is fine).

the biggest thing to make sure you get is brand new lifters to go with the cams. talk with Karl and see if they come with the cams or head but i suspect you may have to go to ford for a set for a focus (they arent too expensive individually but when you have to buy 16 it does add up).

IDK what the max torque the ATX can handle but i know Hector put a fair amount through it (hopefully he will chime in with the exact numbers) with no problems.

Back