• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Change your cabin air filter!!!

my_black99svt

CEG'er
As I had no idea when mine was last changed, so I decided to install a new one.

It looks like it had never been replaced! :nonono: It even had some mold on it.

6qbef76.jpg

and I was breathing the air passing through that filter. :eek:

Umm... I'm not sure if mine were ever replaced but where is that located? I know is a noob question :rolleyes:

Under the wiper cowl, above the PCM, behind the power steering reservoir. There's a thing about how to change it in the owner's manual.

The only downside to these things is that they're expensive. The Motorcraft ones are like $45, and the cheap aftermarket ones in Autozone are $18.

Yup. The price is the only reason I haven't replaced mine. I vacuumed it off. Whatever, I have an immune system.

I've been thinking about replacing mine for awhile. I burned some oil a while back too and I think the smoke scented my filter :eek:. Thanks for the info. I bet I end up replacing mine in the next couple of days.

Thats one of the first things I replaced on both my Fords. Both looked original. Also noticed big improvement in cabin air quality..

Shoulda seen mine after I stored it for the summer. It had mouse :censored::censored::censored::censored: all over it and it was just rancid. Ask SVT SNOB lol. Gotta love changing that in the middle of Auto Zones parking lot. Now the svt is all tucked away with lots of D con around it :)

Yup. The price is the only reason I haven't replaced mine. I vacuumed it off. Whatever, I have an immune system.

price? its only like $17 or so at a local parts store ... or at least it was. not that expensive if you ask me for a micron filter ....

well,that pic was enough to make me go and buy a new filter...my wife saw it and was pretty disgusted:shocked:

Yeah, $17 for a Bosch at AutoZone. $15 at Advance Auto Parts. If that's expensive, time to sell and get a bike.

Don't vacuum them out. It won't do crap for the air quality and will still smell like shiz.

Last edited:
Yeah, $17 for a Bosch at AutoZone. $15 at Advance Auto Parts. If that's expensive, time to sell and get a bike.

Don't vacuum them out. It won't do crap for the air quality and will still smell like shiz.
Well, mine wasn't as bad as the OP's, nor does my air smell bad. And I'm not cheap, I just meant expensive as in expensive for a filter considering how little I use the HVAC. I'll replace it one of these days, it's just not a priority.

Now the svt is all tucked away with lots of D con around it :)

you can also use dryer sheets.
put them all over the place in the car, the trunk and even the engine bay.
they keep the mice away and they help make the interior smell nice when you take it out of storage

I just meant expensive as in expensive for a filter considering how little I use the HVAC.

ALL of the air coming into the cabin comes through that filter. So pretty much everything you breath inside the car with the windows up comes through there.

you can also use dryer sheets.
put them all over the place in the car, the trunk and even the engine bay.
they keep the mice away and they help make the interior smell nice when you take it out of storage

care to share your secret hiding spots?

Back