• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just installed intake

njk1

CEG'er
So i ordered the cheap ford focus intake off of ebay. I am extremely surprised on the sound and the notice in power from the whole 30$ i spent. I didnt drill a hole for the AIT in the intake itself, I found a part at autozone for 10$ that was well worth it. Its made by spectre and it is a vaccum/sensor tube. The AIT screwed right in. So here are couple of pics for you guys to see. The sensor tube is right after the MAF youll see it.

Dont mind the dirty engine compartment, Im cleanin it this week:laugh:

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

WOW surprising, what kind of degreaser did you use. and how bad was the engine bay before that?

Mine was about like yours, minus the rust (It was an Arizona/Texas car...). I'm not even sure if the degreaser I used is still made. It was the spray-bottle type Blue Coral degreaser, but simple green, etc should be just fine. Also, I spent a couple hours getting the heat shield off and mag-polishing it by hand, so if you want it to actually be shiny, you'll need to do that too(it's kinda dull if you only clean it off.)

It took a long time to get the engine bay that nice looking. I just cleaned a little bit every time I washed the car, which was like every week...Have fun with it!

Well heres the engine after the first round of degreaser... I need to buy a better scrub brush then ill be good to go....
100_0082.jpg

Like the AEM sticker?...:laugh: my buddy put it on there last night after he put a intake on his civic..

Nice...100000x better is freakin amazing lol... im gonna scrub the hell out of it again wednsday so hopefully it will look even better... ill post more pics then... im getting happy with the car now, i dont call it a hoopty anymore:laugh:

That is the exact same air intake I ordered, good GOD its loud on the VCT Zetec, I have a magnaflow resonator with no muffler at the back my exhaust is loud... and my Intake is 2-3x louder then my exhaust. its reduiculious.

While you are at the cleaning, I highly suggest you use a can of Seafoam on the inside of the engine, pull the black hose that goes to the brake boster (the big fat one) its a Vaccume line for the Intake Manifold. use that hose to SLOWLY sip some Seafoam into the engine, your exhaust will blow out white smoke, its entirely normal. Use 1/3 of the bottle for this, then another 1/3 for the crankcase, then the remaining in the gas tank. When you use it in the crankcase, make sure you rae getting ready to change your oil and DO NOT drive the car with the seafoam in the crank case. Just pour it in, let the engine idle with the seafoam in there for about 5-10 minutes, then do your oil change. Cleans the HELL out of the inside of the engine, I have never seen dirtier oil in my life.

Something else that is interesting about the Zetec... There was a guy on here that picked up a CTA intake (essentially the same one you have) and dynoed his car with the stock intake setup and the CTA zetec setup and saw 15 horsepower AT THE WHEELS! :shocked: the stock air box setup really does hinder the overall performance of the motor, and you can feel it when you put the aftermarket setup on instantly.

Edit:
IMAG0054.jpg

You should get one of those. I had one on my old tour, and I idiotically sold the car without pulling it off and selling it :(

Last edited:
Looks 100 times better man! Take my advice, though, KEEP SCRUBBING! The more times you clean out your engine bay, the newer and better looking your engine will be. Even the local rice-burners thought I had a slick looking engine, and they HATE Fords! Just keep at it and evetually, it will get to the point where you don't even have to scrub anymore to make it look good as new, just a wipe here and a wipe there to get the dust off...

How good is the filter? There is so much fine dust blowing around here most of the year I am so afraid of using anything other than paper in the stock housing.

Looks 100 times better man! Take my advice, though, KEEP SCRUBBING! The more times you clean out your engine bay, the newer and better looking your engine will be. Even the local rice-burners thought I had a slick looking engine, and they HATE Fords! Just keep at it and evetually, it will get to the point where you don't even have to scrub anymore to make it look good as new, just a wipe here and a wipe there to get the dust off...

Yea ive scrubbed it a few times already, the valve cover seems a little screwed cause its not getting any cleaner, i may paint it so i would just sand it anyway. The ricers like the engine cause they dont know anything about DOHC:laugh:

How good is the filter? There is so much fine dust blowing around here most of the year I am so afraid of using anything other than paper in the stock housing.

The filter is actually pretty strong, Im definatly gonna get a K&N though

Yea ive scrubbed it a few times already, the valve cover seems a little screwed cause its not getting any cleaner, i may paint it so i would just sand it anyway. The ricers like the engine cause they dont know anything about DOHC:laugh:

The filter is actually pretty strong, Im definatly gonna get a K&N though

If you don't paint it, try a good aluminum or metal polish. I wanna see some of ya'lls track numbers with one of these intakes!

Back