• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fabbed up a front coilover spring perch...

gmorrell

Hard-core CEG'er
...for the factory front strut mount and strut bearing.

Pretty simple stuff actually: Wanted to properly retain and center a 2.5" I.D. spring using the factory front upper mount and also use the factory turning bearing. The adapter fully captures the turning bearing in the groove which also helps keep road debris out of the bearing, and retains a 2.5" spring on the other side.

<click the thumbnails for a larger pic>
Spring side of adapter.

Strut bearing side of adapter.

Bearing installed in adapter plate.

Adapter and bearing on upper mount.

Completed Koni front coilover.

Good work putting together your own set up. Do you have any concerns with all the weight of the car sitting on the notched coilover sleeve like that? I know on my ground controls there is a large washer that the alum. coil over sleeve sits on. I like your work I just see that as a possible fail point. I would think I would be stronger if you were to cut an inch or so off the sleeve all the way around and sit a steel washer ontop of the swaybar/brake line mounts then sit the sleeve on the washer. Im in no way and engineer or expert so my concerns have no validity to them.

I'm not terribly concerned about it, but I appreciate you bringing it up. The sleeve is in compression, and in the unlikely event of a threaded sleeve failure, the lower perch would contain it long enough for me to notice, and even then, the perch drops to the bracket ears and stops there. The bracket welds to the strut tube are huge, and pretty much in shear, where they're strongest.

Pictures don't get any bigger. What's your cost with everything so far?
Pictures work OK for me, maybe I need to log out of Photobucket and see if it still works.

Adding up everything, which includes four new Koni struts, new Raybestos rear upper mounts, new Motorcraft front upper mounts, bearings and retainer plates, four Coleman Racing sleeves and lower perches, springs, machined parts and all the other minutia, I'm at $1300. If I'd done the GC kit + Konis, I'd probably be in for about the same once I'd bought all new upper mounts and bearings, KSports are about $1200 + all new upper mounts, so I'm in the ball park.

DSC03173_zpsf02cff84.jpg

DSC03174_zps2071ba62.jpg

DSC03175_zpsc70c184b.jpg

DSC03176_zpsead45df5.jpg

DSC03171_zps1125ad55.jpg

dang. i saw a bunch on ebay. but i never seen the best offer button. thanks

and btw iv tryied calling godofspeed about a month ago and i think theyre out of business

Back