• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

19s or 20s?

I think 19" and 20" look awesome, but I can't imagine ever doing it myself.

The acceleration and ride quality going down would be enough to drive me insane. If you do it for show purposes and don't give a crap about performance, I'm all for it because they look amazing.

I love my 18" wheels but man, there are times I really wish I never ditched my 17"s.

My 19's weigh 48+ lbs with tires, and I noticed zero decrease in fuel mileage or acceleration. Then again, I do have a 3L with 210 WHP and 206 WTQ...

My 19's weigh 48+ lbs with tires, and I noticed zero decrease in fuel mileage or acceleration. Then again, I do have a 3L with 210 WHP and 206 WTQ...

Weight will play a factor but the size can be just as important.

Try swapping back to stock 16" wheels and tell me you don't notice an increase. Acceleration does take a hit, whether you saw it or not.

A 17" wheel and an 18" wheel of the exact same weight and overall diameter after the tire is mounted will NOT perform the same. The 18" wheel could still have a higher moment of interia.

I love my 18" wheels but man, there are times I really wish I never ditched my 17"s.

I agree eleventy billion percent - the ride is a lot more neutral (and comfortable) with 17's that can accept more than a rubber band on them.

The problem is, Steve is crazy, lol. I'd say to go with the 19's - you know what to expect from your old Centerlines, and it'll be easier for the factory to troubleshoot if they need to. Also - Centri's? What finish?

18" Wheels fit?

18" Wheels fit?

Hi, I am relatively new here. I do like all the free information given. Thanks. I have a question. I am thinking of buying some rims for my 99 SE Comtour. Will 18" rims fit with 225/40/18 tires? Will it raise or lower the car? Will they rub on turns? Any advice will be greatly appreceiated. Thanks again

Hi, I am relatively new here. I do like all the free information given. Thanks. I have a question. I am thinking of buying some rims for my 99 SE Comtour. Will 18" rims fit with 225/40/18 tires? Will it raise or lower the car? Will they rub on turns? Any advice will be greatly appreceiated. Thanks again

no they will not rub if you get the right offset. just make sure the wheels are made for a contour or focus and you'll be ok. no wider than 8". they will raise the car. it would help if you lowered the car with some springs or it will look funny. you could get away with it with some 17s but not so much with 18s.

i needed some new 18" tires just for rollers for my csvt. all i had were nitto 255/40/18s. they rubbed like crazy on the front, but were cool on the rears :p but thats obviously too big for realistic usage. if you have a mild drop, the 225/40 should be ok. i think they might rub in the rear if you have more of a drop and have any weight in the rear. shouldnt be an issue for the front but im kind of speculating here.

225/40/18 is a widely used size for 18's on a contour/cougar. you should be fine at stock height but it will slightly raise the car and give you more wheel gap. slightly lowering it as mentioned above will make it look alot nicer. you may have to slightly roll the rear wheel well but it kinda depends on the shape of the sidewalls on the tires you get. i had a set that did and a set that didnt lol

So you are the clowns!!!

So you are the clowns!!!

So you are the clowns that almost stop at every &%$&( dip in the road so you don't scrape on the ground or scrape your tires on the body work. We just love it when you do that, slows traffic down and generally pisses off the rest of us. But they do look cool.

So you are the clowns that almost stop at every &%$&( dip in the road so you don't scrape on the ground or scrape your tires on the body work. We just love it when you do that, slows traffic down and generally pisses off the rest of us. But they do look cool.

Don't ride our ass and you won't rearend us! Also remember it's your fault if you come flying through my back bumper, then my back will probably hurt, then my car will be totaled, then your insurance company won't give me a respectable offer, then I'll call a lawyer.....

dude I havent noticed your posts until very recently and from what I have seen you post................ most of the time i think you should prob STFU:shrug:

Yeah, I'm sure that you have a big problem with traffic in Idaho. We don't drive combines dip:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Furthermore, I have an SVT with 19's (my black car above) and Konis/Eibach and the ride is no worse than stock when adjusted properly. You should probably STFU as suggested above.

Last edited:
X2 on the STFU, some people dont care if they rape there bodywork drivin on crappy roads, but alot of people on here do. so ease up off our kool-aid.

I need some help here

I need some help here

I don't understand what STFU means, several of you crybabies have suggested that I do it, can any of you crybabies help me on this?

Back