• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Reborn SVT now redead

fordcupcar

CEG'er
What's up CEG,

I should probably start with a little background. I got my CSVT 2 years ago with about 108k on it. I loved the car and when I got a rod knock at 115k (back in april) I thought I had been beaten. I got lucky and found an engine/trans combo for 550$ and the best part was it only had 20k on it!

Fastforward a month and about 40 hours of work and my SVT was reborn. Started right up on the first try, and purred like never before. There were a few minor kinks to work out, but I thought I had conquered the car. Today I set out to chase down the last small problem -- it wasn't charging properly. After figuring out I had a bad mega-fuse (due to the fuse housing resting on the exhaust manifold) I zip-tied the new one back into place, and thought everything was good to go!

A test drive was in order so I took it on a bit of a cruise to best buy. Then afterwards I filled up with premium and decided to head home.

I came to a stop sign, took the right hand turn, then gave her some gas. Boom pop stutter pop boom. Car dies right then and there, so I quickly coast it to the side of the road. Not sure what the issue is so I try to crank it. It sounded like it was cranking ok, but then made some reallly bad clicking noises and would not turn over. I popped the hood to a small electrical fire on the wire that goes from the starter to the mega fuse to the alternator. Nothing in sight seemed like it would cause this wire to catch on fire. I thought I had positioned it out of the way! Also, why would this cause my car to buck and shut off?! I mean, I'm grateful it did otherwise I might not have caught the fire, but it just doesn't make sense. I'm also not sure why it wouldn't turn over :( After towing it the 2 miles to my house I popped the hood again to get a closer look. My battery was extremely hot, practically boiling!

The battery is completely dead right now, not to mention it's late, so I'm done for tonight. I'm a little confused, a little angry, and a little heart-broken.

I thought my baby was back, but it seems like I'm going to need to put a few more hours in :(

-fordcupcar

wiring on these cars can be such a pita. especially the main wires your talking about. hopefully you will be golden after replacing them.

are you ready to sell it to me yet :D. Just kidding, I really hope you get it figured out and start enjoying the car again.... most of us have been in your shoes already. Good luck!

Back